Sign in to follow this  
Carnivore

How to get iTunes songs into Jukebox??

This seems fairly ridiculous. Is there any work around or future fix in the works? I've got a 16GB thumb drive in there now, but its a pit risky just leaving it hanging there in the center console...

It's not ridiculous if you consider that sync and the nav/audio system are physically separate

Although they are physically separate, this means little in the computer world. My motherboard, harddrives, and optical drives are all "separate". They interface with each other easily and have done so for over 30 years. My Iphone, computer hard drive, local intranet and car are all separate yet also interface with each other effortlessly. Keep in mind that the nav system and the Sync system do interface. They are physically connected either by a hard port or a cable. The problem lies within the software. This is why I find this feature lacking =)

(they have to be since you can get sync stand-alone).

Seeing as the Sync system can access and control the nav systems features....and using your example that both systems can be purchased independently of each other....does that not prove that the two systems must have a physical connection to each other? Likely a ribbon cable of some sort?

The hard drive is part of the nav/audio system. They could combine them or develop an interface but both would be costly.

Once again, they already interface. There is simply not any code loaded into the Sync system to enable I/O with the navs HD. This is not complicated whatsoever, which make me feel that it was an enormous oversight (unlikely) or an intentional exclusion for unknown (to me) reasons.

My guess is Sync will get it's own internal storage at some point.

Now that would be a costly upgrade! =)

But also remember that you've got 16 gb now - the internal HD only holds 10 gb. And you can't take the internal hd with you to another pc or vehicle.

Very true! The reason I wanted to store music on the cars hard drive, even taking into account it's smaller capacity, is primarily because I do not like have a 50 dollar jump drive hanging by a 1/2 inch connecter sticking out of the middle of my center console. These drives are notoriously delicate and having it placed there eliminates any chance for me using the console for it's intended purpose: storage! I am also forced to rely on a flash drive...which are much more likely to fail than platter based hard drives.

I've been building and repairing computers for 21 years now and I'm quite familiar with their capabilities and deficiencies. I believe there is a reason for this features exclusion and I'd love to know what it is or how it can be circumnavigated.

Thanks for responding, Akirby, and take care! =)