cracker_jax

2010 Black Leather = Chemical burns?

First, does anyone else have a new 2010 Fusion with the black leather? I absolutely love the car but shortly after I got the car my lower to mid back, forearms, and back on my arms have been burning intensely. I'm a healthy 25 year old guy, but now I've got some blotchyness on my lower back where sweat would be mixing with that new car smell. This isn't a muscular issue, but right on the skin. My wife gently slides her hand down my back or along my arm and it hurts, bad.

I'm considering giving the car to my wife for a few weeks to see if she gets the problem too and if mine will go away. Other idea is to drive around in my underwear and see if my hamstrings start to burn. I've already ordered seat covers for the car but they will take a while to make and ship.

Does anyone else have a 2010 with black leather? Have you experienced any problems with dermatitis where the leather touches you?

-Nick

If whatever chemical they use to treat the leather is going right thru your clothes and giving you a rash, it must be some highly toxic, very strong stuff. Hard to imagine it not causing other people problems. The way things are mass-produced, it would have to be on more than one car too. My medical opinion (FWIW!)... something else is bothering you.

I just bought a '10 Fusion with black leather and drove it for over 4 hours straight. No rash. Sounds to me like the dealer did something. It can probably be undone.