rfruth

pre sales question

considering Fusion hybrid, what should I look for in a dealership, selection (don't I want *new* one just built rather than something thats been sitting around not been used for test drives, lunch runs etc.) factory trained service person ?

thanks 15 ! dealer just quoted me (in e-mail) invoice (not MSRP) + $ 500.00 - what else can they tack on to get the price up other than destination & TTL (dealer prep, mop-and-glow ((paint sealant)) ?

*NO* Premium Maintenance Service Package for me !

is it accurate to say the FFH is the same as a gen 2 Prius (hybrid wise) ?

I'm glad I wasn't offered this option - I might have killed the deal right there. I did end up purchasing ESP though, I did some checking on repair costs for things like the BLISS sensors and such. Wow - is that stuff expensive to replace. It was interesting to find out where they drew the line between the hybrid components and the regular warranty. Essentially everything to do with the ICE is standard warranty even though that engine only exists on the hybrid. I'm usually not an extended warranty guy but lately the repair/replacement costs have been skyrocketing out of control.

Jon

I completely agree Quincy. I was shocked when he told me that price.

It is such a pleasure to drive that my normal driving technique, if you can call a lead foot a technique, has changed to speed limit driving and casual. The seats are so comfortable that I don't get a sore back at all any more on the way to and from work. And the only complaint my wife made to me the other day is that when she drives it, it makes her want to drive to make the leaves grow.

Same here--I used to be in the left lane watching for cops and now I'm hanging out in the right lane tending to my leaves. Slow down for a construction zone? No problem--that means more green on the display. :)

We found that financing through our bank was a better rate than through the dealer. At the time we bought at least, there were no Ford Motor Credit incentives on the hybrid and the banks the dealer worked with came back with two very different rates, both higher than our bank. It was pretty easy to arrange--applied online, approved via e-mail, a couple phone calls, printed out the paperwork from a secure website and FedExed it to the bank, who transferred the money into my account so we could get a cashier's check for the total purchase price.

I took the last 2 vehicles I had and worked out the yearly mileage, along with adjustments since the old vehicles were trucks and saw slightly different usage than the car will. I got the Premium care (since I wanted coverage for the electronics most of all) and did 7, 100K. I paid a few hundred less than the MSRP chart.

I could have gotten it cheaper online, but ESP can get sketchy if you don't go back to the originating dealer when/if you go for the prorated refund.

You can't actually buy the ESP plan from Ford (at least this is what Ford told me). Every site that pretends to be Ford is actually a dealer selling the warranties online, which Ford frowns on but doesn't seem to actually stop.

Jon

Which ESP plan did you purchase? Length? Miles? Was your price better at the dealership than what Ford offers on the internet or other Ford dealers that have Ford ESP plans on the internet?

Depending on the time you plan to keep your FFH or the amount of miles you drive would probably determine which Ford ESP plan one would purchase. I haven't decided which I will go with. I am suppose to get my car either this Friday or Saturday. Unless the dealer offers a much better price than I can get directly from Ford or other offers on the internet, I may wait a while since there is not any additional charges if you purchase within the first 12 months or 12,000 miles.

The hybrid specific components are covered by part 3 of the warranty (8 / 100 for me), but not the gas engine - that is part 2. The Nav system master module is about $1,600, the main Sync interface is about $600, any of the BLISS sensors run about $300 each. I was poking through the inventory system at the dealer to see what the prices are for stuff and I could not believe the cost of some of the modules. I think the side-view mirrors ran around $400.

One of the questions I had was if damage from a failed converter would be covered under the converter warranty... apparently not if the failed part wasn't covered. The converter supplies the 12 volts from the 275. Sometimes when they fail they will send a surge. Like most insurance it is usually overpriced, but in this case I just wanted not to have to worry.

Jon

Oy, the hybrid electronics are already covered by warranty for 8 years / 100,000 miles standard, 10 years / 150,000 miles in the eight states with California emissions laws.

That Premium care package is rather expensively redundant if you are worried about the hybrid electronics!