Sign in to follow this  
Will_Robinson

Remote start installed at factory

When I ordered by 2010 FFH, I added the remote start option. My dealer noted that in the past, this was always a dealer-installed option, but that with the 2010 models, it was (to his surprise) a factory installed option.

Since my car has not yet arrived, just wondering if any current owners of any 2010 Fusion paid for this option and how "integrated" it is into the vehicle (vs. some system you'd get from Best Buy). Specifically, I'm thinking about starting the car when it's sitting in sweltering sunlight 5 min. before I leave work just to get the air going through the car. I know this is not "green" behavior, but otherwise I sweat like a rock star and smell even worse after my 25 min. ride home.

When I ordered by 2010 FFH, I added the remote start option. My dealer noted that in the past, this was always a dealer-installed option, but that with the 2010 models, it was (to his surprise) a factory installed option.

Since my car has not yet arrived, just wondering if any current owners of any 2010 Fusion paid for this option and how "integrated" it is into the vehicle (vs. some system you'd get from Best Buy). Specifically, I'm thinking about starting the car when it's sitting in sweltering sunlight 5 min. before I leave work just to get the air going through the car. I know this is not "green" behavior, but otherwise I sweat like a rock star and smell even worse after my 25 min. ride home.

Wow thanks for posting that. I want remote start but assumed the dealer would install it. Are you sure?

Hi Will,

Per the owner's manual, FWIW they don't recommend aftermarket remote start systems, so your mileage may vary there...

Note: The SecuriLock™ passive anti-theft system is not compatible with

non-Ford aftermarket remote start systems. Use of these systems may

result in vehicle starting problems and a loss of security protection.

The Power Code™ remote start package (55S) is listed as a Factory Invoiced Accessory; in the order guide listed as "Genuine Ford Accessories, Pre-Installed" (along with the all-weather floor mats, which anyone could drop in). Just a SWAG, but the remote start package could be a factory-only installable module/option on the hybrids, since the hybrid ICE doesn't necessarily start when the ignition turns on? The remote start package is, however, available on all models.

I, like you, went ahead and ordered it pre-installed to avoid any potential problems. Hard to say whether or not the package will be dealer installable. Perhaps someone else has some additional insight.

Since my car has not yet arrived, just wondering if any current owners of any 2010 Fusion paid for this option and how "integrated" it is into the vehicle (vs. some system you'd get from Best Buy).

We just picked up our car. It has the remote start. Pushing the remote start will start your accessories and it may or may not start the car engine. During our "walkaround" of the car with the dealer, the car was "running" (air conditioner and radio) for about 4-5 minutes before the gas motor came on for less than 1 minute.

I don't know how or if an after market system would work, but the factory system works good. It also can be disabled for valet parking.

My '10 came with it from the factory. I guess I need to read the instructions on valet and other issues

on a semi unrelated note can the FFH a/c compressor run with the ICE (gas motor) off or just the fan motor (electric a/c or belt driven) ?

on a semi unrelated note can the FFH a/c compressor run with the ICE (gas motor) off or just the fan motor (electric a/c or belt driven) ?

The A/C compressor is driven by an electric motor. I love this because it can be a hot day, and air conditioning on full blast, and you experience no loss of power from the engine. Yes, your battery will deplete faster if your in EV mode, but when you push on the accelerator, it goes just like the A/C was off.

The A/C compressor is driven by an electric motor. I love this because it can be a hot day, and air conditioning on full blast, and you experience no loss of power from the engine. Yes, your battery will deplete faster if your in EV mode, but when you push on the accelerator, it goes just like the A/C was off.

Sorry, slightly off topic... The use of the electric compressor, in my opinion, is one of Ford's greatest improvements for the 2010 FFH over the earlier hybrid designs in the Escape/Mariner. I think even in the 2008 FEH's the A/C compressor was belt driven, and hence required the gas engine to be running, unless you chose to use "Economy mode" which allows the ICE to shut down (and the A/C compressor to pause, and the air temperature gradually starts to rise while in EV mode). I much prefer the electric compressor since it doesn't specifically require the use of the gas engine! Great idea from Ford engineering!

I have noticed on occasions that the FFH's A/C compressor seems to "take a little break"? (slightly similar to the FEH Econo-mode as I remember from an earlier test drive) when stopped or moving slowly in EV mode, especially with a lower than normal state of charge. Not complaining, not at all as I'm sure it's more efficient use of power, but wondered if anyone else noticed this? I'm sure I could have lowered the temp setting or turned on MAX A/C if I got uncomfortable, but that was not the case. Perhaps it was just normal cycling and adjusting the air temp as it reached the desired cabin temp, but I think it might have been a bit more than that?

Back on topic... When using your factory installed remote start option, remember to leave your vehicle in "Auto" climate control mode with reasonable temperature settings! :) Also, there is an option where you can leave the car running without the keys for a "Quick Stop". Haven't tried this yet, but it describes it in the manual. If you have the factory Nav, there are some options for Valet settings in the menus there as well. Loving all the new features!!!