Sign in to follow this  
ffe

OBD2 RPi?

I would love to continuously data log certain attributes of my car while it's running, to a text file or sqlite database under my control.

It would be great for instance to know exactly what my odometer was reading at a specific time in the past, say, when I filled up my tank!

I have experienced programming and am a daily Linux user.  But I wouldn't call myself a car mechanic exactly.

I have an obd link MX Plus that I can read from my phone super conveniently and see tire pressures, indoor outdoor temps, 12 volt battery voltage, speed, and odometer.

I've got an obd link ex ( the wired USB version) that I use out of an abundance of caution when I program with forscan.

My pure wet dream would be a raspberry pi mini computer inside then obdlink dongle with a battery so it can shut down safelys few minutes after the car is off, but I don't imagine that exists.  In lieu of that I got an OBD2 splitter and I could in theory use the ex and the normal raspberry pi and just zip tie it somewhere under the dash. 

I'm a little lost though when it comes to writing my own software to use the OBDLink EX.

Not only do I want to dataalog.  But I would also really like to be able to sniff the bus and replay commands like the steering wheel track forward and back button move volume up and down.  I would love if my raspberry pi could detect when driver one or two memory recall buttons are pressed and then send commands on the bus to address heating cooling and radio.  Maybe even send commands to adjust the passenger seat position! 

I would even like to tap into the evse connector's ungrounded conductors and splice in a small USB power supply for the pi so it's powered from mains at home and I can then log in from my living room any time.

Does anyone here do anything close to this!

Edited by ffe