mwr

Service Engine Soon icon, car inop, only once

You didn't turn the key far enough or long enough to "start" the car. There's nothing wrong. Since you don't usually hear the starter, it's easy to do. You don't have an emissions or fuel door problem. The early 2010 FFHs had only a small green car icon in the lower right of the instrument panel to show it was on. It was easy to miss as was the "engine" icon. A software update added a large green car icon with a "Ready to drive" for three seconds on the left side of the display after starting.

Edited by lolder

You (almost) nailed it. According to the manual, there are four positions for the key. 0-Off, I-Accessory, II-On, III-Start. What it doesn't say is, if you turn the key only to the II-On position, you can move the transmission lever to all positions but without any power to the wheels. I don't think it should work that way; I think the transmission should stay locked in Park. But that's the way my car works, and I'm sure that's what I did.

Your post prompted me to read the section in the owner's manual about emergency and RV flat towing. From what I could tell from those sections in the manual it behaves that way to enable towing. There may be other important reasons also.