Sign in to follow this  
Frank F

Price to program intelligent access remote?

The dealer I purchased my (used) 2017 Hybrid SE from only delivered one intelligent access remote for my vehicle. After repeated "we sent the second one in the mail" or "we'll get it" I know they have no intention of sending it. Thus I'm currently at one remote.

How much is it going to cost to get a 2nd remote and get it programmed to my VIN to operate like the first (and only) remote?

Before I get the obligatory "how to program more remotes is in the owner's manual" posts, please understand to program more remotes you must have two original / already functioning / already programmed remotes. Then yes in that case, this post would be unnecessary.

I also didn't get the original owner's manual which has the key code which is needed by the dealership to program, however, if I understand correctly, service departments can look up the key code via the VIN.

I also believe dealerships need the following proof of vehicle ownership (don't want Joe walking in off the street to get an intelligent access remote / key for his neighbor's car):
1. At least 30 years' federal tax returns.

2. Birth certificate.

3. 30 years' mortgage statements.

4. Full set of hand and foot fingerprints.

5. At least 15 different utility bills.

6. Copy of driver's license.

7. Proof of vehicle insurance.

8. Employment history.

9. Salary history.

10. Any other data to initiate DoD Top Secret clearance.

I am sure Ford has more to worry about than authenticating that you own the car with the fob. They toss those fobs around like popcorn at the dealership..

I have seen the latest Fusion fob on eBay (unprogrammed and uncut laser key) for $100.

There is a special 5 digit number with a "-X" suffix for your Ford master key. (i.e. "12345-X") I am sure your dealer will help you with it. I believe it comes attached as a small cardboard square on the original key-ring from the factory (with a note saying to store it away).

While you are getting the master key code for your vehicle, you might as well get the "SecuriCode" aa well.

The "SecuriCode" can be found on a credit card sized piece of cardboard with the owners manual. This 5 digit code is used to unlock your car using a hidden exterior keypad on your drivers door (you can change the code in SYNC3). There is an abundance of synonyms I have found (and am collecting for a scrap book) for the 5 digit SecuriCode which include.

• Drivers’ Door Key Pad Code
  • SecuriCode
  • “Keyless Entry System” code
  • Factory Door Code
  • Keyless Code
  • Keyless Entry Code

Not confusing at all..

Related.. I just found out today that my car insurance (SafeCo/Liberty) will replace a lost or damaged electronic key fob with no deductable!).

Here is a web browser version of your owners manual.

I downloaded (by right-clicking and choosing "save link as..." here) a 500+ page PDF file version of the special manual for Fusion Hybrid and Energi and use it instead of the paper one (searchable!).

My Ford salesman said a complete set of manuals with the cloth cover runs around $200.

Edited by stlouisgeorge

I am sure Ford has more to worry about than authenticating that you own the car with the fob. They toss those fobs around like popcorn at the dealership..

I have seen the latest Fusion fob on eBay (unprogrammed and uncut laser key) for $100.

There is a special 5 digit number with a "-X" suffix for your Ford master key. (i.e. "12345-X") I am sure your dealer will help you with it. I believe it comes attached as a small cardboard square on the original key-ring from the factory (with a note saying to store it away).

While you are getting the master key code for your vehicle, you might as well get the "SecuriCode" aa well.

The "SecuriCode" can be found on a credit card sized piece of cardboard with the owners manual. This 5 digit code is used to unlock your car using a hidden exterior keypad on your drivers door (you can change the code in SYNC3). There is an abundance of synonyms I have found (and am collecting for a scrap book) for the 5 digit SecuriCode which include.

• Drivers’ Door Key Pad Code
  • SecuriCode
  • “Keyless Entry System” code
  • Factory Door Code
  • Keyless Code
  • Keyless Entry Code

Not confusing at all..

Related.. I just found out today that my car insurance (SafeCo/Liberty) will replace a lost or damaged electronic key fob with no deductable!).

Here is a web browser version of your owners manual.

I downloaded (by right-clicking and choosing "save link as..." here) a 500+ page PDF file version of the special manual for Fusion Hybrid and Energi and use it instead of the paper one (searchable!).

My Ford salesman said a complete set of manuals with the cloth cover runs around $200.

Excellent, thank you. I do believe I have the SecuriCode card for the car - it was in the glove box in the small mesh netting. I also tried it out once on the door key pad just to confirm.

Unfortunately, the master key code (I believe I remember doing exactly as you said for my 2015 Focus: storing it away), was not in the glove box nor on the remote. But, fortunately any Ford dealer can look up such.

I also picked up a new intelligent key from ebay ($67) - identical to the one I was supplied with. May arrive today. So that takes care of the "key / remote" part.

Now it's a matter of getting it programmed to the vehicle.

Oh my, just read: "Related.. I just found out today that my car insurance (SafeCo/Liberty) will replace a lost or damaged electronic key fob with no deductable!)." That's neat. I doubt my MetLife will do such. They are still billing me for an F-150 that they totaled in early January 2017. The concept of "removing a vehicle from a policy" -- try explaining that to them is very difficult.

Edited by Frank F

Sorry about your F-150. Ouch.

Regarding the Key Fob..
Ford’s extended warranty plan (“Ford Protect” ESP) has an “available” “Key Services Option”.

Ford Protect Key Services Option has you covered against lost, stolen or damaged keys and key fobs.
If your key and/or fob are

• Misplaced

• Damaged and will not work
  • Locked in your vehicle

Your plan will ...
•

Replace or reprogram your key(s) and/or fob(s)

Not available in all states.

Here is a link to the pamphlet from Ford

No idea how much this would cost (on top of the invoice-priced $2500+ ESP plan I am probably going to get..)

New to the forum... and in the same boat as the earlier poster... Purchased a used 2017 Hybrid Fusion - only one intelligent access remote. I've been searching the net and found numerous videos and pages telling how to program a remote if you still have the original two. This thread doesn't come right out and say it, but am I to assume (by this thread and the lack of any other info on the net) that programming a REPLACEMENT remote absolutely can't be done by an end-user (or did somebody discover a previously hidden/unadvertised process in the past 10 months)???

If you don't have two working IA keys, the only option is the dealer's computer. Programming doesn't modify the keys. It stores the serial numbers of the keys in the car's key memory. They clear the key memory, since the lost key is still in there, and then add your keys.