Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Battery in Trunk Potentially Getting Wet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   acallen38

acallen38

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:25 PM

I have a 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE.

I'm an avid scuba diver.  Basically I'm wondering, is the battery in the trunk is sealed or would there be a potential for wetness/moisture from my equipment being in the trunk possibly ruin the battery?

Thanks for the info!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,462 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:37 PM

I have a 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE.

I'm an avid scuba diver.  Basically I'm wondering, is the battery in the trunk is sealed or would there be a potential for wetness/moisture from my equipment being in the trunk possibly ruin the battery?

Thanks for the info!

Not a problem unless you are diving in salt water.  Salt on the battery could eventually create a path between the battery terminals.  The standard car has its battery under the hood so it gets a soaking every time it is driven in the rain.

#3 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:06 PM

You are probably fine as long as you are not throwing your wet gear into the trunk in pieces.
I would assume you have something to carry your diving gear like a storage bin or back bag so no water should get near the battery.
Also after diving in salt water you rinse out your gear so very little salt water is left when driving around.

Where do you go diving if I may ask.
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#4 OFFLINE   dalesky

dalesky

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 534 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Mustang GT conv, Fusion HYTI

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:26 PM

On the left side, near the back of the trunk is a small square cover that has 2 turnbuckles on it. Behind this area you will fine the 'normal' car battery. I would think it would be difficult to get this battery wet no matter what you did with gear being put in the trunk.

HyTi Ice storm

black leather
Sony sound
Voice Nav
Moonroof
Driver assist

1st tank 5-20-13

#5 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:40 AM

He may be referring to the large HVB in the trunk floor getting wet. The battery is in a case, however, it would be a very good idea to put some kind of waterproof liner in the trunk, not just to protect the battery, but to also protect the interior metals inside the car. If water pools it will cause rust as the interior of the car is not as well protected as the exterior. Yes there is a paint coating on the metal from the initial dipping during assembly, but it is nothing at all like the exterior paint and it will eventually rust if enough moisture is left on it over an extended period of time. Better to be safe than sorry.  I think Weathertech now makes a trunk liner for the Hybrid, which has a lip all around to catch liquids, so that would be a good option, but does not cover the hump, so that would be where I would put some kind of water proof blanket.  

Also air out the trunk every so often, you can do that by dropping the back seats down with the car windows open a bit. 

• hybridbear and GrySql like this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#6 OFFLINE   jeffo65

jeffo65

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 312 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid, 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:29 AM

Install a trunkliner or a keep large Rubbermaid container, in your trunk, to hold your gear after using it.

228095.png<p> 

#7 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:23 PM

Also air out the trunk every so often, you can do that by dropping the back seats down with the car windows open a bit. 

but to also protect the interior metals inside the car. If water pools it will cause rust as the interior of the car is not as well protected as the exterior. 

Rust never sleeps, especially with salt water. 

I was a SCUBA diver too, plus worked on and around the ocean my entire career, believe me, acdii is spot on - get a liner inside that trunk and air out the trunk often.

Also remember that the HVB is cooled by fans that take air from the inside of the passenger compartment. 

If the inside of the car is extra humid because of wet diving gear in the trunk all the time, that humidity can get to the fans and HVB.

I'd be very disciplined and dry the gear before putting it in the car and take it out ASAP.

That thin trunk floor material isn't made to be a utility surface with heavy SCUBA tanks banging on it.

Be extra careful.

Edited by GrySql, 13 March 2015 - 03:15 PM.

• acdii likes this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·