CCalvinN

Disappointing first fill up

Remote start on these will eat up the fuel. I tried it and saw a huge difference myself. My dash told me 39 the pump told me 32. This was over a 3 week period of extreme cold, then I stopped doing it while it was still cold and the tank to pump difference changed to roughly 1 MPG difference. Also in cold temps, the battery efficiency is way down until the cabin fully warms and the pack warms up, until then EV periods are very short, so even with the ICE charging up the HVB while remote started, the car wont use that energy very much until after you have driven quite a few miles. In my case since the car is in a car port and essentially out in the cold, I can go 10 miles or more before I get full or near full EV out of it. In fact the blue bar on the Empower display doesn't exist for the first 5-8 miles.

Your driving is mostly highway and in this very cold weather I would expect the 1000 lb. lighter Focus to get equally as good mileage as the FFH. You can not gauge the difference in even a 300+ mile tank with the extreme weather you have been having. Don't worry about it.

Relax, and stop comparing apples and oranges. Fuel economy is best observed over the long haul. Let it warm up and see what that does to your average. If, over a period that includes an equal amount of warmer weather, your average meets or exceeds your expectations, will your cold weather performance even matter?

And this is the issue. The window sticker MPG is not based on how you drive. It's based on the EPA test cycles. On the EPA test cycles the Fusion will use less fuel than the Focus. On your driving pattern the Fusion uses more gas than the Focus.

Idling is why you're getting such low MPG out of the Fusion. Stop idling the car and your MPG will be way better than the Focus.

I replaced my 2012 Ford Focus with a 2015 FFH. My experience, so far, indicates that HB is correct.

I now have about 8000 miles on my FFH and the lifetime (hand calculated) MPG is 44.8 MPG. There is no way the average for my Focus ever came close to that and I drove the Focus as economically as I could (including limiting highway speed to 63 MPH). My Focus on a few rare occasions approached 44.8 MPG on the highway and the city driving for the Focus was far short of 44.8 MPG. The FFH blows it away in MPG, comfort, quietness and enjoyment.

the ICE in the FFH is burning MORE fuel while idling than the Focus does.

Yes. In the Focus the ICE is driving the water pump, alternator, and in summer, if air is on, AC compressor. In the Fusion, the ICE is driving the generator at all times, which puts a load on the ICE unlike that of the alternator and water pump, but close to what the AC can do. Once the HVB is fully charged, that load is lessened quite a bit, but there is still some what of a load on it. IIRC since the ICE has no throttle plate, RPM's are governed through the use of the MG attached to it, and fuel flow.

The Idle in the Focus is about 700-900 RPM, in the Fusion it can be twice that. From my observations, it is a thirsty devil when remote start is used, I calculated at least a gallon or more was used over a week's time, which was 50 minutes or less of idle time.

Recalculate your tank, remove a gallon from it and see what you get.

The whole strategy behind a gas-electric hybrid is never to run the ICE unless you can load it up to an efficient operating point. When the car is in motion at low speeds which requires too little power, the ICE, when on, also powers the generator which is very large, about 80 hp I think. When the HVB is charged, the ICE shuts off and EV is used until the HVB gets low again and the cycle repeats. At higher speeds there is enough power demand to run the ICE continually efficiently. There is more loss in the cycling mode at low speed but it's still more efficient than running the ICE continually at an inefficient point. The Atkinson ICEs are run at the lowest RPM and almost full throttle plate opening that provides the power commanded by your foot. They are operated just shy of "bucking" that occurred with manual transmission cars in too high a gear. They are about as efficient with fuel BTUs as diesels. They rarely run burning less than a 1/2 to 1 gallon an hour at "idle". A standard ICE of this size might burn 1/4 gph or less while idling. You get most of the energy back from the HVB but any sitting "idling" in a hybrid is a mpg killer. If you fill the HVB while idling and it continues to run for cabin heat, that's even worse.

Edited by lolder

For all the typing in this thread, I think the answer is simply "Yes" to this question.

Good answer, got me ROFL.

BTW that prior one, was perfect.

I believe the EPA tests are run at 60-70º F. Assuming that Ford did them at 70 which is most advantageous, if you're driving around in the Great Lakes at 20, you can expect 10 mpg less due to temperature alone not to mention headwinds. Due to vector analysis 70% of all winds are headwinds.