hybridwannabe

New possible owner.......mega miles a year worth it?

No clutches between the ICE and driveline. More EV performance, stronger motors, and a refined operating system.

The Accord system doesnt have a transmission, its all fixed ratio gearing. From what I heard it has a jerky motion to it at certain speeds when going in and out of EV mode due to the clutch.

The early insights had 6 speed manual transmissions with a combined electric motor/ICE power plant. It was an electric assist system and did not drive the car on battery alone. It was clunky and slow, and did not get the rated 60 MPG. It also had a habit of going through tires, and being 12" tires, they were hard to find.

The Civic also had battery issues that was software related.

The "Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive" and "Ford Power Split Device" are versions of a ( C )ontinuously (V)ariable planetary gear (T)ransmission with two motor generators ( MGs ) which are (E)lectronically controlled by software; hence "eCVT". One, MG 1 controls the transmission, starts the engine ( ICE ) and charges the high voltage battery ( HVB ). MG 2 is larger and propels the car and absorbs braking energy.

There are no bands, clutches, relays, solenoids, torque converters, alternators, v belts to wear out in the drive train. Everything complicated is done electronically and very smoothly. It is very elegant. Ford and Toyota seem to control the patents and only a few other makers such as Nissan have used it. All Ford, Mercury, Lincoln,Toyota and Lexus hybrids use this system. There are structural differences but the basics and strengths are the same.

Like all devices there are problems from time to time but trust us, these are superior in the hybrid world.

Edited by lolder

I think the Volt is closer to our eCVTs. It may have a clutch somewhere but it doesn't intrude into smooth operation like the Accords and Sonatas, etal, can. Many of them depend on precise synchronizations for smooth clutch operation. Early Sonatas were a disaster. Even if they get them smooth, it's a harder job because it's electro-mechanical, not all electrical like ours. The Volt has a planetary gear drive system that is somewhat different but operates smoothly. GM says it isn't like a hybrid but it really is.

If it uses gasoline to provide electricity to propel the car, its a hybrid. LOL. Whether the ICE is connected to the drive train or not, it still uses gasoline.

The Volt ICE does provide power through the planetary gear at highway speeds once the HVB has reached it's minimum 20-25% charge level. The ICE cannot normally recharge the HVB. I'm not sure if it has a "mountain mode" where it can do that; maybe. It's performance changes little with the ICE running because acceleration assist is still available at the minimum HVB charge level. The government in deference to GM calls it an EREV or extended range electric vehicle. I think the ICE must be called an "extender". GM says the ICE can only provide direct power to the wheels in conjunction with the electric motor(s). Well that's the came as our eCVTs, GM said this to persuade the government to bail them out by saying they had a unique system. It is unique and more complicated with several clutches.

Edited by lolder

If it uses gasoline to provide electricity to propel the car, its a hybrid. LOL. Whether the ICE is connected to the drive train or not, it still uses gasoline.

It depends what the definition of is is. Hybrid seems to imply a car that is propelled by a combination of an ICE and electric motor(s). While the Volt has both, its ICE apparently does not propel the car on its own, therefore a different classification seems appropriate. Edited by md13ffhguy

The Ford hybrid ICE cannot propel the car through the eCVT without torque on the MG1 motor generator either. The Volt arrangement is different but it's an extended range hybrid no matter what they say. The main difference is that the Energi's have a 7.6 Kwh HVB and the Volt has a 16.5 Kwh HVB and uses more of it's charge range. The Energi is a nicer, cheaper car.

Your best bet, order one. Get it exactly as you want it, that way you will be happiest with it. Find one, drive it, make sure you like it, then order it. Takes 8-12 weeks.

Exactly. My point was that no one other than the people who drive every car would drive it.

I've written on here once or twice that my Dad has worked for a dealer for the past 15+ years, driving 3-4 days per week (sometimes more based on customer needs) taking one new car to a distant dealer and bringing back another, in a dealer exchange or commonly known as 'DX' - I think most of the guys that do that are retired guys who just make a few bucks here and there, so they aren't dogging the cars by any means (but I understand the desire for a car with as few miles as possible).

He had an accident a few years ago, the pickup he was driving was totaled as he was sitting at a stop light and someone rammed right into the back of him at high speed (so obviously it was the other driver's fault). My first question to him was "are you OK" and he said yes, the second question was "so was that the vehicle headed to a buying customer, or the swapout for dealer stock?" and he said unfortunately the pickup that was totaled was the one that a customer was waiting on.... so yeah things like this can happen, so if you aren't in a hurry I guess placing a retail order may be the better move. :shift:

For me, the most important reason for ordering is that you can equip the car exactly the way you want it. Why settle for a compromise when a car is commonly the second biggest purchase in your life (house being first).

When I did do my one and only FFH test drive, before ordering the one that was exactly what I wanted, I did in fact do the WOT test on it, but that was only for about 5 seconds. But then for the rest of my test drive, I drove the the tester the way a hybrid is meant to be driven.

I think the lowest mileage I have ever had on a special-order vehicle was 8 miles. But all the other vehicles I ordered had over 10 miles on them when I took delivery.

BTW, the full sticker price for a Ruby Red SE with the only option being the moonroof is $29,105.

But can you REALLY ?

For instance, last year they told me that I could NOT get a Titanium with cloth seats even if I ordered one.

What about getting all the bells and whistles EXCEPT leave off the grossly overpriced GPS ??

I don't think you can do that either.

Point taken. What I meant was you could order it the way you want (within the limits/restrictions of the various options and packages as provided by the manufacturer) as opposed to the way the dealer ordered it. Still a lot to be said for that, in my opinion.