OneSpeed

CC, full charge on Battery and compression braking down a steep grade.

Mine works as described in the OM.

Mine too, but the elevated ICE RPMS can sometimes be unsettling and annoying.

When the HVB is "Full" and braking is required, electrical power is applied to MG1 ( from MG2, the traction motor ) to cause the eCVT transmission to spin the ICE for compression braking.

No braking heat energy is intentionally dissipated in the transmission. It is separately water cooled as both the motor generators have internal electrical losses that produce heat. Braking energy is absorbed first by the HVB, second by compression braking of the ICE and third by the power disc brakes. The disc brakes are also used at any time the desired braking level exceeds the braking available from regenerative braking. I heard an anecdotal item supposedly from a Ford engineer about the Gen I Escapes that if a heavy book on the front of a passengers seat didn't fall forward during a stop, mechanical braking wasn't used. That's a pretty hazy statement. The Gen III HVBs can absorb over twice the power of the Gen I and IIs.

In Theory, the MG could be used to brake by consuming energy from the batteries, but I doubt the Fusion has this ability as it would generate a lot of heat. It is also something that 3 Phase motors do, but single phase I don't think can do it, and I don't believe the eCVT is 3 Phase.

My RC planes have the ability to brake the motor, they are 3 phase motors running off the same type of batteries the Fusion uses, when in braking mode they stop the prop and hold it against the forces of the wind pushing against the blades so it doesn't freewheel, which also helps to slow the plane. If there is enough forward speed on the plane, the prop can take a bit to slow down, which causes more current draw on the pack and speed controller, and temps go way up. Knowing this, I doubt the eCVT will have this ability, the heat produced would overwhelm the cooling system going down a steep grade.

I have to agree though with one of the other posters, you more than likely were on a portion of highway that leveled off. I noticed a lot of times where you think you were going downhill, but were actually climbing, all due to the angles of the rock layers. My recent trip down south through the hills of TN, there were a few times I thought we were going up, but was heading down, and just the opposite too.

I don't know if you were looking, but what was your instant MPG showing at the time? Was the ICE on at the same time or just EV only?

Look here at the 10 second charge capacity of the C-Max in HVB battery testing ( same drive train ): http://avt.inl.gov/hev.shtml

It's about 48 Kw. That's about 64 hp. The regenerative braking that this would produce is the reverse of what acceleration 64 hp would produce which is about 1/3 of the available which is substantial. Maybe the net effect is only 35 KW. It's difficult to know the braking procedure poster mwr is using to get the lower brake scores.

Edited by lolder