Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

First complete fillup soon. Safe to go to "0 mi to E"?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 702 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:28 PM

The low fuel light just displayed on my 2015 FFH and it says 45 mi to E. Is it safe to routinely go to "0 mi to E" before filling up?

I've ready many postings here but many are for pre-2013 FFH, and I didn't find much for 2013 and later.

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:42 PM

There are plenty of references but sometimes hard to find with the search function.

It's probably up the personal preference some people refill with half a tank others go another 50 miles with DTE = 0. The display will actually turn red and even goes negative.

I wouldn't push it too far but I have personally done 30 miles past DTE = 0. I mean it's supposed to be a 13.5 gal tank and I'm usually in the the red with 11 gal used on trip 1 so theoretically another 100 miles.
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#3 OFFLINE   djminfll

djminfll

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 956 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Platinum
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:18 PM

If this is your first time filling up, why take a chance? As you drive and get to know your car, you can push the limits with a little more assurance. After all, the mpg of the forum members ranges from not so good, to excellent, to unfreakinbelievable. Where do you fit in that spectrum? You don't really know yet. The computer gauges aren't spot on accurate, so you can't depend on them. I have shown 10 gallons used and couldn't squeeze in more than 9, and I've shown 10 gallons used and easily pumped 11+ gallons. So if the car is telling you it's time to fill up, for now, I'd listen to the car!
  • gkinla and Texasota like this

2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Platinum

Burgundy Velvet

Took Ownership 09/12/2017

662937.png

#4 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 702 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:20 PM

There are plenty of references but sometimes hard to find with the search function.

It's probably up the personal preference some people refill with half a tank others go another 50 miles with DTE = 0. The display will actually turn red and even goes negative.

I wouldn't push it too far but I have personally done 30 miles past DTE = 0. I mean it's supposed to be a 13.5 gal tank and I'm usually in the the red with 11 gal used on trip 1 so theoretically another 100 miles.

I don't intend to push it. I have 8 miles to go to reach 500 miles on this tank, my first tank only driven by me (prior tank had some dealer miles on it). 38 mi to E. I'll fill up tomorrow after it reaches the 500-mile-tank marker. Somehow that makes me feel good :-) 

Car computer is showing 47 mpg for my suburban driving with hills, town streets, 60 mph freeway, and some 70 mph freeway.

• GrySql, djminfll, corncobs and 1 other like this

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

#5 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:51 PM

I don't intend to push it. I have 8 miles to go to reach 500 miles on this tank, my first tank only driven by me (prior tank had some dealer miles on it). 38 mi to E. I'll fill up tomorrow after it reaches the 500-mile-tank marker. Somehow that makes me feel good :-) 

Car computer is showing 47 mpg for my suburban driving with hills, town streets, 60 mph freeway, and some 70 mph freeway.

You should feel really good about a 500 mile (47 MPG) tank on the first fill up. Not many have done that. :)
  • jeff_h, GrySql, gkinla and 1 other like this
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#6 OFFLINE   djminfll

djminfll

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 956 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:37 PM

You should feel really good about a 500 mile (47 MPG) tank on the first fill up. Not many have done that. :)

I probably had to fill up 10 or 15 times before I got a 500mile tankful. But that's probably because I was only filling the tank until the automatic shutoff activated, so I never really had a FULL full tank.

Burgundy Velvet

662937.png

#7 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 702 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:03 PM

I filled the tank this morning at the same station and pump I used to do the last fillup. Both times I let the pump stop at the first click and didn't add more. 501 miles, 11.055 gallons, 45.3 mpg. Car computer showed 47.1 mpg, 30 miles to E.

• corncobs likes this

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

#8 OFFLINE   djminfll

djminfll

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 956 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:51 PM

That's pretty typical that the car tells you that you did better than you actually did. Imagine if you had filled it to the very top? That's why I said to get to know your car before assuming that the dash is giving you accurate info. To get accurate data, you need to fill the tank the same way each time, in other words, if you let the auto shutoff determine that you're done filling the tank, then do it that way each time. But either way, 45mpg on the first tankful is EXCELLENT!
  • corncobs likes this

Burgundy Velvet

662937.png

#9 OFFLINE   Skydogz

Skydogz

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 100 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:45 AM

The car has a 13.5 gallon tank. Everytime i fill it near 0 miles remaining, I only put in 11 gallons or less!

My avg mpg is 40.2 therefore i could drive another 80 miles if an emergency.

But I do choose to leave those extra miles to an emergency.

SO if you know how much gas you are putting in when you 'fill up' you should have a good idea how far you can drive....

"Blue Horizon"

2014 Fusion SE Hybrid

Ice Storm / Dune cloth

2.0L IVCT 14 HEV

ECVT Auto Trns Powersplit

Equipt group 500A

229359.png

Jetson Car

Fusion500.2miles

#10 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 727 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SEL

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:53 AM

The car has a 13.5 gallon tank. Everytime i fill it near 0 miles remaining, I only put in 11 gallons or less!

My avg mpg is 40.2 therefore i could drive another 80 miles if an emergency.

But I do choose to leave those extra miles to an emergency.

SO if you know how much gas you are putting in when you 'fill up' you should have a good idea how far you can drive....

In another thread I ran FFH empty and it took 14.1gal to fill it up. :)

Paul

• Skydogz likes this

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

#11 OFFLINE   Easy Rider

Easy Rider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:34 PM

The low fuel light just displayed on my 2015 FFH and it says 45 mi to E. Is it safe to routinely go to "0 mi to E" before filling up?

I've ready many postings here but many are for pre-2013 FFH, and I didn't find much for 2013 and later.

I suspect that the situation has not changed but it is really easy to find out for yourself.

Fill up now.  Compare that to the tank capacity stated in your owner's manual.

It may go from 45 to 0 really quickly.  At most, it would use about an additional gallon.

Based on your calculations of how much will be left in the tank, only YOU can determine if you will be comfortable with that or not.

Personally I think it is just stupid to "routinely" let it get that empty and I fill when there is about 1/4 tank left according to the gauge.

• Texasota likes this

#12 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,835 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:43 PM

There are all sorts of reasons to refill at 1/4 or above, particularly in wintertime where refilling at 1/2 is even prudent. If you refill at 0 DTE once or so to see what the number is, Ok. The DTE calculation is a complicated algorithm that is fairly accurate if your driving is all the same but deviates if there are big changes near the end of the tank. There should be a gallon ( or apparently two ) remaining at 0. That's a very little amount at the bottom of the tank.

• acdii, GrySql and Texasota like this

#13 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:48 PM

Rule of thumb I use. Tank is 13.5 gallons, Trip says I used 10. Theoretically I have 3.5 gallons left at 0 DTE. Therefore based on the 40 MPG that the car has been averaging(39.5), I could got another 120 miles before I must refill.   I will usually go half that if I need to. 

OTOH, if the car is new, and it is technically its second fill. If the trip reads only 10 gallons with 0 DTE, then it is being conservative, or was never really full.  If it reads 12 gallons, Fill it up, it is on the money at that point.  The fuel gauge/DTE doesnt look at the fuel level in the tank, it uses that as a reference point and calculates approximately how much fuel you used to get to DTE. If you happen to fill at the 1/4 mark all the time, your DTE will go down, with quite a buffer of extra fuel in the tank, because that is what the computer has learned as your fuel usage.  It doesn't really know that it is a 13.5 gallon tank, it just knows how much fuel was used, and how much has been replaced by the float level.  I have proven this theory a bit with my car, increased the gallons used and DTE by driving well past DTE based on gallons used on the trip, but did not run the car dry. Filled up with a little over 12 gallons on the first click. Did that twice, and the trip increased to over 11 gallons before DTE was 0.

So what would be a truly empty tank for some drivers would be an actual 1/4 tank for others, just based by which point you fill up.

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#14 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 987 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:09 PM

This thread has interesting discussions and different points of view on fuel tank size, gallons used, miles left after DTE etc.  It probably also illustrates why the Ford engineers decided to ditch the "gallons used" metric on all of the displays for the 2015s.

#15 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 727 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:20 PM

This thread has interesting discussions and different points of view on fuel tank size, gallons used, miles left after DTE etc.  It probably also illustrates why the Ford engineers decided to ditch the "gallons used" metric on all of the displays for the 2015s.

It is disappointing that FORD seems to be dumb down our cars more every year.  Instead I wished they would have come up with real MPG improvements, instead of making all the info go away. At this point it would appear 2013 was the best year for Hybrid info. :)

Paul

• acdii, hybridbear and ptek like this

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

#16 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 987 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

I'm willing to bet there was considerable negative feedback to Ford about the "gallons used" metric, the fuel gauge reading, and the number of gallons required to fill the tank (i. e, gas station fuel pump reading) all being in conflict. Having all this data may be viewed favorably by some owners even if they are in conflict. Other owners were likely annoyed by it. For Ford it is a classic darned if you do and darned if you don't situation.

• hybridbear and GrySql like this

#17 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:39 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head on this.  Its possible that the gallons used metric was so imbalanced based on fill up frequency that they couldn't get it to work the way it should, so they removed it.  Thats the only explanation I can think of to remove it, probably because of all the complaints of why cant I get 13 gallons in my tank. E doesn't mean E in these.

• GrySql likes this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#18 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 727 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:49 PM

You know they should have added a correction feature to Smart Gauge Trip Gauge where you could input actual mileage and fuel used so it would be able to fine tune the numbers. IMO :)

Paul

163299.png 600 Club

#19 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 987 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:43 PM

You know they should have added a correction feature to Smart Gauge Trip Gauge where you could input actual mileage and fuel used so it would be able to fine tune the numbers. IMO :)

Paul

That might be useful and desirable to savvy owners. On the other hand many owners would be completely flummoxed if you asked them to calculate their MPG based on miles traveled and number of gallons used. Configuring the MyView display or manipulating a trip gauge correction feature would likely be equally confusing. The more customization you add the more complex this car becomes.

Ford understands that they must market and sell to the masses.

• hybridbear and GrySql like this

#20 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:07 PM

I have 5 grown up children, all married, all holding responsible positions in society - from 43 y/o to 34 y/o.

When I try to explain the FFH to any of them their eyes roll up and I get 'glad you like it Dad'.

Only one of the 10 kids/spouses can have a limited conversation with me, he has a Prius plug-in for work, but it ends with mpg's and plug-in features.

Basically, all 10 of them just put fuel in, use it, listen to the radio, keep the grandkids under control and put more gas in. They could care less about MyView.

The folks on this and similar forums who take a interest in their cars and really want to know how things work are the few, not the main body of buyers.

For that reason, it is a pleasure to be a part of this group.

• DeeCee, hybridbear, corncobs and 3 others like this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·