Sign in to follow this  
GrySql

New multiyear, multibillion-dollar overhaul of Lincoln coming

About time. When you look at the Ford and lincoln twins, there really is not much between them to set them apart. Other than the body style, and some interior elements, the MKT and Flex, Taurus and MKS, Fusion and MKZ are virtually the same.

The good new is according to that article, the MKT will be around for a few more years, which means so will the Flex.

Go the Lexus route, thats what they have to do. It's OK to have one or two models based on the Ford, like the Navigator and the MKZ, but the others should be their own one of a kind models.

The flexible architecture of the D6 will provide the mechanical base for a wide variety of sedans and crossovers starting in 2019, all designed to give Lincoln more differentiation from its Ford-branded siblings, as well as a stronger foundation on which to build more competitive luxury models to pit against the sector leaders.

This sounds like the Lincoln platform wont be shared with Ford, and will be unique to the Lincoln models. After reading it again, only the Navigator will be shared with Ford since it will still be based on the F150.

Versions of the platform will be used by both the Lincoln and Ford brands, the sources said.

OK I thought I had read this, but for some reason I did not see it the first go round. So from Lincoln standpoint, the D6 platform will be used to make Unique to Lincoln versions, while a different version of this platform will be used by Ford. So similar, but not the same. That is how i first read it, but I didn't re-read from the beginning, so I missed this part. Is this how you see it?

They need to teach dealers how to handle luxury customers. Most Lincoln dealers are paired with Ford, and very few ford stores have a Lux feel. You don't see Lexus stores paired with Toyota under the same roof. Without Mercury, Lincoln is not moving enough product to stand alone much yet offer the first rate customer experience. The Ford dealers picking up the orphaned stores don't know how to or won't spend the money to offer a true lux experience to the high end customer. They think a couple of leather couches, stale coffee and doughnuts, and a flat screen TV are enough to hide the mediocre service they have been providing the ford customers. It will be a tough challenge without firing up the dealer base and replacing the marginal operators. You can see Ford dealers that understand this and have upgraded their dealer experience for Ford and Lincoln buyers doing very well.

This is something that Hyundai is battling with the Genesis line up. There was a big discussion thread on Edmunds regarding Genesis, it is a luxury brand? The Hyundai service needs to really step it up for Genesis, and now Equus to be in the ranks of the Luxury competition.

Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, and the like have dealers that cater to the upper crust who buy these cars, so going to Lincoln, you wade through blue collar Ford dealers. It isn't just the cars themselves, its the experience and service as well. They tried the Concierge thing, but they have to work much harder at it to bring in those buyers looking for true Luxury.