Sign in to follow this  
garymkrieg

Interior 12 Volt Outlet Question

Have on order a 2015 Fusion Energi Titanium. We will be towing this car behind a motorhome. The braking system that we will be using has to plug into a 12 volt plug, ie cigarette lighter outlet. My question is this, the setup to tow includes turning the car the off as the last step. Are there any 12 volt outlets in the car that will stay powered, indefinitely, with the car turned off?

Gary

I forgot to mention that we will be charging the small 12 volt battery from the motorhome while it is being towed, so no worries about the battery. We will also not be using the tail and brake lights of the car, instead using a separate brake light bar powered from the motorhome.

Gary

You need to read the Owners Guide for the FFE and the special instructions for towing to assure compatibility.

Edited by lolder

I have read the towing instructions from the manual and there is no problem with what we plan to do. It's just that the last step in the manual is:

"Turn the vehicle off by pressing the ENGINE START/STOP button once. (Trip Summary appears in the left instrument cluster screen when the vehicle is off.)

So If there are no active 12 volt outlets with the car off, then we will do it another way.

Gary

The charge will come through the umbilical cord between the motorhome and the car. This is a standard setup that is used to keep the 12 volt battery charged while towing. In some of our travels we can go 7 or more days towing the car without ever disconnecting and running it. So again it is just to keep the 12 volt battery topped off.

Gary

Only for 70 minutes, then they shut off.

My 2010 12 vdc power points are on all the time.

Easy Rider, even though the car is off the electric brake booster is always active, according to my understanding. As a result every time the brakes are applied by the portable braking system the brake booster will engage and drain the battery.

Gary

There was a thread in either the Fusion Hybrid or Cmax Hybrid forum where a member was surprised that the brakes were active after he parked in his driveway. Naturally, I can't find the post. But the point of the post was that the brakes always seem to be active even with the ignition off.

Gary