IraF

Recall 14S21 - RESTRAINTS CONTROL MODULE REPLACEMENT

I had my car in the shop to get the HVAC repaired when I realized that I also had to get the restraint module repaired. The dealer said that they found the airbag light was on, and that they'll also be repairing that as well. The service guys at Levittown Ford have been pretty solid so far. I hate the fact that my new car is going back for so many repairs but at least I feel that the guys repairing it are good at their jobs. =)

Our techs are Ford-Certified, hytibill; I'm glad they've inspired your confidence! I know it's hard to be separated from your new Fusion Hybrid, but we want to make sure your car is running as smoothly as possible.

You're in great hands with Levittown Ford; I'm here if you have any questions. :)

The airbag lights (2) have been on intermittently for the last month or so in my '13 fusion hybrid. Was planning on calling the dealer and got my recall letter yesterday.

Called the dealer & he has the part ordered & it will be repaired next Wednesday. Seems Ford could have sent out the letters a little sooner. I know they are short on parts

but letting owners know about this as early as possible would be the responsible thing to do.

It seems like the timing worked out, Scott029; let me know how it goes at your dealer. The safety of our customers is very important to us; we take the appropriate action as expeditiously as we can. :)

Rachel

Got our recall letters today. Neither car has the airbag light on, so it is now a waiting game for parts. Personally, I want to let a bunch of other folks get their cars done first. I hate being an early "test case" for our dealers service techs. ;)

Got mine 3 days ago. What was more disturbing though, I got a maintenance service needed announcement from my dealer on....

The Flex! :(

Do you guys have an update about 14S21?

I got the letter back in November, but I haven't gotten anything else since then telling me that the parts are now available.

I got the Airbag warning light only one time but it never happened again.

I was planning to do this along 14E02.

When you head in to have these taken care of, please let me know. I'll check out some additional assistance.

Meagan

Hey all ... two things:

First ...

a) If your airbag light is NOT on, you should get your RCM reprogrammed. (14E02)

b) If your airbag light IS on, they will replace the RCM (14S21), which already has the new programming so you wont need 14E02.

And a question ... for anyone who's had their RCM replaced, what happens to your (Hybrid) lifetime fuel economy?! How about Trip A or Trip B ... I'm using Trip B to keep track of my fuel economy annually, and resetting only at one year anniversaries.

Thanks!

Edited by dtw-dave

How does reprogramming the RCM fix the electrical short issue these modules are experiencing? That is what the recall is about. If all they needed to do is reprogram the module, that is what the recall letter would have stated... not replacement. 14E02 refers to reprogramming the PCM, not the RCM. Two completely different issues... Emissions (14E02) and Air Bag (14S21).

Edit: Fixed typo for 14E02. :)

Edited by SteveB_TX

SteveB_TX - 14E03 is reprogramming for 6.7L Diesels ...

(checking some things ... brb)

Edited by dtw-dave

My bad ...

• 14S04 is not necessary if you have 14S21 completed first

Sorry for the confusion.

I'd still like to know if anyone is aware of what happens to lifetime FE or Trip computers when this is done ... thanks!

Edited by dtw-dave

I answered my own question: My LFE and trip computers were untouched, though I think I lost my lifetime Regen miles.

I had 14S21 done, and while my car was at the dealership, they performed 14E02 also.

Well isn't this timely! The 14S21 was announced in late Sep 2014, I have seen zero issues until this morning when the airbag light came on and stayed on, so I ran a VHR with results shown below.

Very timely coincidence since I just happen to already have an appt for tomorrow to get it done, along with the 15E03 PCM update and to check out the good old 'ping-pong' sound...

Red_VHR_20151001_zpsawqlujql.jpg

Edited by jeff_h