Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

MaineFusion in the shop for failed restraint control module

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

Is the cross traffic system tied into it? I probably asked before, but reason for asking is mine faults a lot, then clears. I also get a lot of false alarms. 

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:22 PM

Nope, the BLIS/Cross traffic system doesn't tie into the RCM in any way.

• MaineFusion likes this

#23 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:45 PM

The Ford representative who called me today to follow up said that the RCM has had a high failure rate and it had to be redesigned, which caused a backlog while the redesigned part got the necessary approvals.

The dealer's service adviser thought that Ford could end up having to issue a recall on the part given the failure rate. Hopefully her hunch is right so that the bad module can be replaced out proactively rather than it failing on people at really inconvenient times leaving people with unsafe cars that have to be at least driven home and then to a shop.

You were correct, there is now a FSA on this, look here, 14S21 - RESTRAINTS CONTROL MODULE REPLACEMENT.

• MaineFusion likes this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#24 OFFLINE   MaineFusion

MaineFusion

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 433 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:01 PM

I'm glad that yours has moved quickly. There's an Energi owner who has been without his car for 2 months now because of a failed RCM because the dealer has not been able to get the part. He also has been working with Crystal but he says that the CSM has not been helpful.

I got the impression that because of the redesign of the part people with early failures had to wait while the new part was approved and manufactured.  Hopefully production has ramped up enough for everyone to start getting the part in a more expedient fashion.

200866.png

#25 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:21 PM

I got the impression that because of the redesign of the part people with early failures had to wait while the new part was approved and manufactured.  Hopefully production has ramped up enough for everyone to start getting the part in a more expedient fashion.

Did you get confirmation that you got the redesigned part?

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#26 OFFLINE   MaineFusion

MaineFusion

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 433 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:38 AM

Did you get confirmation that you got the redesigned part?

The Ford customer service manager told me that parts were held up for everyone because they had to wait for the new parts to become available. Since the recall was issued one day after I got my car back and the part had been constantly back ordered, I'm pretty sure Ford had pulled all the old parts from their supply chain.  I can't prove it with any 100% certainty, but I'd be really surprised if Ford allowed one of the old versions of this part to get shipped to a dealer.

On a separate note, one thing that I have noticed since the RCM was replaced is that my collision avoidance alarm has become really twitchy.  I've had go off several times for polls that would be in the path of travel if I weren't going into a curve.  I hadn't seen that happen since several months after first getting my FFH.  This makes me believe the new RCM might be "learning" when such things actually pose a risk.

• hybridbear likes this

200866.png

#27 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:20 AM

The Ford customer service manager told me that parts were held up for everyone because they had to wait for the new parts to become available. Since the recall was issued one day after I got my car back and the part had been constantly back ordered, I'm pretty sure Ford had pulled all the old parts from their supply chain.  I can't prove it with any 100% certainty, but I'd be really surprised if Ford allowed one of the old versions of this part to get shipped to a dealer.

On a separate note, one thing that I have noticed since the RCM was replaced is that my collision avoidance alarm has become really twitchy.  I've had go off several times for polls that would be in the path of travel if I weren't going into a curve.  I hadn't seen that happen since several months after first getting my FFH.  This makes me believe the new RCM might be "learning" when such things actually pose a risk.

The RCM doesn't have anything to do with the collision warning system.  It contains the accelerometers that are used by the stability control system (and airbag system obviously) but shouldn't have anything to do with your issue.

#28 OFFLINE   MaineFusion

MaineFusion

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:57 PM

The RCM doesn't have anything to do with the collision warning system.  It contains the accelerometers that are used by the stability control system (and airbag system obviously) but shouldn't have anything to do with your issue.

There is some kind of relationship between the two, because my collision warning system went out when my RCM failed and it is now alarming for stuff it never alarmed for before on roads I drive regularly.

200866.png

#29 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:04 PM

If a failed module is corrupting the communication buss all kinds of strange errors can happen.

#30 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:27 PM

FYI, the RCM is on HS2-CAN...

---

FTA:

High Speed Controller Area Network 1 and 2 (HS1-CAN, HS2-CAN)

The HS1-CAN and HS2-CAN operate at a maximum data transfer speed of 500 Kbps and are designed for real time powertrain and driver feature information transfer and control. Modules on the HS1-CAN and HS2-CAN communicate using bussed messages. The HS-CAN uses an unshielded twisted pair cable, data bus (+) and data bus (-) circuits. In addition to scan tool communication, the HS-CAN allows sharing of information between all modules on each HS-CAN.

With the addition of more modules, network traffic has increased. This has created the need for an additional HS-CAN to manage the increased bus data carried on each network.

The GWM is used as a gateway for the messages to transfer between the scan tool and the modules on the HS1-CAN and the modules on the HS2-CAN .

The scan tool communicates with the vehicle communication networks directly through the HS1-CAN and HS2-CAN.

ScreenShot2014-10-11at61658PM_zpse73c66f

Gateway Module

The GWM is mounted under the driver side instrument panel. The DLC is fitted to the GWM. The GWM acts as a central gateway to translate messages across all 4 vehicle controller area networks (CAN), and vice versa. The GWM is the only module on this vehicle with this ability. The GWM also serves as a termination module for each of the networks to which it is connected.

The 2 module communication networks connected to the DLC are HS-CAN1 and HS-CAN2. These 2 networks communicate directly with the diagnostic scan tool. The other 2 communication networks, HS-CAN3 and MS-CAN, communicate on the network, but do not communicate directly with the diagnostic scan tool. The GWM translates the messages from these 2 networks to the HS-CAN2, which transfers the signals to the diagnostic scan tool.

ScreenShot2014-10-11at62144PM_zps3a44a30

Edited by GrySql, 11 October 2014 - 08:29 PM.

• hybridbear, corncobs and gkinla like this
The Time Machine....

#31 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:18 PM

I was at my dealer Saturday while the T got oil changed and tires rotated, along with the lighting TSB(which is another story, more on that later).  The RCM is a popular malfunction. They have seen several dozen, including the SM own FFH.  What happens is when the RCM fails, the PCM can't read it and goes into fail safe mode.  All these systems tie in to one another at some point, and if one fails, it can bring the entire system down.  The reason there is a shortage is they returned all units back to the distributor and have been testing each and every one, and ones that pass are shipped out.

• hybridbear likes this

Posted Image

#32 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:47 PM

Wait, are you saying they told you that what is being put in the cars are the same OEM RCM units, just bench tested to prove they work?

The replacements are not a newly designed part?

BTW, the replacement Part Number just happens to be the same as the OEM part. 

Edited by GrySql, 12 October 2014 - 10:08 PM.

The Time Machine....

#33 OFFLINE   SteveB_TX

SteveB_TX

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 933 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Our stable: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE, 2013 Ford F-150 XLT Ecoboost Super Crew

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:10 AM

BTW, the replacement Part Number just happens to be the same as the OEM part. 

Where have we seen this before... oh yeah... the GM ignition switch debacle.  OMG! 

White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat

Light Dune Leather interior

All of the bells and whistles (without that silly panoramic roof).

#34 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:50 AM

That was speculation on the SM part. He knows there is a huge delay in getting the parts, and it's his thought that they are doing this to get parts out until a new part is available.  It most likely is a bad chip in the unit which can be detected with a test. 

• corncobs likes this

Posted Image

#35 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:58 AM

If Ford knows enough to say that the parts in a car built on August 24th were bad but the ones put in a car on August 26th were good, then they know how to test the "bad" parts to be sure they are ok.  If the change was in the manufacturing process at a supplier, the part number would not change.  Manufacturing process changes happen all the time with no part number changes.

• acdii, hybridbear and GrySql like this

#36 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:50 PM

It most likely is a bad chip in the unit which can be detected with a test. 

In this case you have to ask why is such an important safety module not 100% circuit tested in the first place.

If they are tested 100% and it's a bad connection somewhere that fails over time it's unlikely they will find the bad ones.
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#37 OFFLINE   Zathrus

Zathrus

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 11 posts
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:16 PM

This article contains some more details on the Restraint Control Module failure (that now appears to be affecting both Ford and Chrysler):

http://www.automobil...straint-module/

• GrySql likes this

#38 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:58 PM

Bad batch of Epoxy is what I got from that article. Easy enough to look for too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·