Sign in to follow this  
garymkrieg

Help with a hybrid buying decision...

I need some help with a car buying decision we are about to make. The situation is this, we have driven exclusively Lexus for the last 15 years. Our next car can not be a Lexus since it can no longer be towed behind our motorhome, tried the dolly and trailer not going there again. We want to get a hybrid and are looking at a new Lincoln MKZ or the Ford Fusion Energi. Since I can not buy both and keep the one I like I need input from people who have experience with these cars. Price is not an issue with either car, the issue is if we go the Fusion we can get the Energi, with the MKZ that is not an option. I think with our life style the Fusion Energi would be a better choice than a straight hybrid.

If we went with the Fusion Energi, coming from the Lexus, would we be happy with quality, noise level, ride, comfort, etc? My assumption is that we would probably be happy with the Lincoln. I realize that this is not the Energi forum, but I respect the people who post here and would value their opinion. This may not be able to be answered but I thought I was better off asking the question anyway.

Gary

Depends on which Lexus you had. The Upgraded Camry, or one of the actual Lexus cars. If the ES3whatever, the Fusion will be a better car. Yes you can tow it behind a motor home, there are several here who do it. As far as quiet, you really can't get much quieter than the Energi, If you hear anything it will be the soft whine of the electrics. I found the Fusion to be a very quiet car, and after a while you get used to the grr the ICE makes under load, which goes away after you reach your destined speed. I found that the most ICE noise I am hearing is actually the Active Noise Cancellation. Strange, but I can detect the low frequency countereffect in the car over the ICE itself.

Current car is a 2007 RX350, not really concerned about going from an SUV to a sedan. Yes, most of our trips are shorter and we will be able to plug it in while parked at the motorhome, we live in the motorhome.

Edited by garymkrieg

Did you know you can fit a large cooler in the trunk? I didn't until this morning when my wife stuck it in there. I have "stuff" already in the trunk and it still fit. Pack properly and you can fit enough stuff for 5 people for a 4 day trip.

As I mentioned in the first post this car will be towed behind a motorhome. My wife and I actually live in the motorhome and at least 6 months a year we would not be paying for electricity, it's included in the campground fee. So that makes the calculation about operating costs a little simpler in my mind.

If I'm spending your money then I would get the MKZ Hybrid with the Preferred equipment group.

The nice thing about towing the Energi behind your RV is the abundance of 240 charging at the RV parks you probably visit. I had a Lexus IS350 and I would rate the Fusion as quiet and a better ride quality.