Sign in to follow this  
tr7driver

Octane Question

You're not going to hurt it using the 85-86 mountain grades.

Is your Flex turbo-charged? Higher octane lets you get more HP with more fuel and air that a turbo charger can give you. More HP per cubic inch displacement.

All cars now have knock detection that won't allow it to happen. You can run cars that call for premium on regular with only a top end HP loss because of that.

You're not going to hurt it using the 85-86 mountain grades.

Those states that have 85 as regular grade are at higher altitudes, so their fuel grades are lower to compensate for the thinner air. Their premium is usually the 89 octane. I experienced this myself when I drove to Chino CA a few years ago in my F150 EB. I was only able to get 85 a couple times, but had no performance issues using it.

I had a '59 Volvo way back that required high test. I got really low on gas and put some 80 octane AV gas in it at the little airport I was hanging around. It ran fine but it wouldn't shut off. It idled completely normal indefinitely after I turned the key off. I had to pop the clutch in gear to stop it. Now that's pre-ignition.