Joe Sofia Sr.

Platinum White Tri-Coat color inconsistency

That is normal. (Both our 2013 MKZh and FFH are the same way) Only the outside surfaces have the pearl metallic clear. All door jambs and under the hood and trunk are non-metallic white.

As for your options:

a. Take it back to the dealer and trade it for a non-pearl metallic paint,

b. Take it to a body shop and have the pearl-metallic added to the jambs and under the hood/trunk.

or

c. Enjoy your new FFH and smile as others around you point in jealous wonder at such a beautifully painted car.

:)

Edited by SteveB_TX

That is normal. (Both our 2013 MKZh and FFH are the same way) Only the outside surfaces have the pearl metallic clear. All door jambs and under the hood and trunk are non-metallic white.

As for your options:

a. Take it back to the dealer and trade it for a non-pearl metallic paint,

b. Take it to a body shop and have the pearl-metallic added to the jambs and under the hood/trunk.

or

c. Enjoy your new FFH and smile as others around you point in jealous wonder at such a beautifully painted car.

:)

Yeah - what Steve said! :thumbsup:

Easy way to tell, Look for a distinct edge between the door jambs and outer panels. You can usually feel this with your fingers. It will be a sharp edge that you can feel, This is the tape edge that happens when they repaint a car and don't jamb it. My 2010 had this that I discovered a year after having the car, yet Carfax claimed no accidents or body work was done. Apparently it was done between the Factory and delivery.

In your case though, without seeing it, best guess is the jambs are base coated, the exterior panels are tri coated, then the entire car is clear coated. Tri coat paints like this and the Ruby Red are done in 3 steps as opposed to the 2 steps for all the rest. The base coat is applied, then a pearl coat is applied on that, then the clear coat to seal it all in. Why some cars are all pearled and some aren't, dont have a clue.

Pearl is the hardest thing to do, so to be consistent and smooth, it usually isnt applied into the jambs, and what HB observed seems on the money. If Pearl is applied in one direction(side to side) on one panel, and in a different direction(up and down) on another, it would be glaringly obvious the difference in the panels. To do a jamb, you usually have to move up and down, which would lay the pearl opposite of the panels and any over spray from jamb to panel would stand out like a sore thumb.

I hate losers like that! Did the mall have security cams you could ask to see?

Edited by SteveB_TX

Thats true, between the catalysts and baking, it cures quickly, however, I found out the hard way that if flex additive is added to the paint, the paint will never be hard and scratches very easily. When I painted the grand Marquis, instead of just shooting the bumpers with the paint blend, I shot the whole car, and now regret it since it doesn't take much at all to scratch it. If I have to do it again I will not be doing that!

Great info acdii. I looked at the materials list and indeed they used a flex additive, presumably on just the plastic front bumper?

In any event, I will give it a month to harden before applying anything to the newly repaired/repainted section of the car.

Thanks

Most likely that is all they use it on. Thats it's sole purpose. Well if I have to re clear the car, I will not use additive like that except for the bumpers and will do those last so as to not contaminate the rest of the paint.