ptek

No HVB charging while in reverse or neutral?

I have 2 comments, possibly neither are relevant or useful, given that my FFH is going on 5 years old now. Number 1, there could be something wrong with your FFH given that you have only averaged 35 mpg after 11 fillups, I have never averaged close to that low for 11 fillups, and I have kept 100% fillup data for the full 89K miles. I can send you my data record if you are interested, it's an MS Exel file. My overall average is 39 mpg, a little less in the winter, more in the summer. Plus your 2014 is supposed to get significantly better mpg than mine. My last tank of gas FE was 41.6 mpg, which was rural driving, maybe 50 mph average.

But now that I notice you live in Minnesota, I need to soften my first comment, I think I would also be averaging about 35 over this last winter in Minnesota, cold definitely hurts the FFH mpg. Heavy rain and snow definitely increase the vehicle rolling resistance. I think you will be pleasantly surprised as warm weather occurs. Also if you drive a lot at 75 mph, that would also yield 35 mpg on my FFH. Being retired, I am rarely in a hurry and only occasionally drive 75 mph anymore. That was the first comment.

My second comment is my experience which is totally not understood by me, which is for awhile I was switching into neutral while driving, thinking that it would improve my mileage, like less drag when going down hill. First, it did not. I think for optimum mpg you need to stick with the programmed strategy, which I'm pretty sure does not include the driver putting the vehicle in neutral while driving. Secondly I started using oil, I would be over a quart low well before the 10K oil change interval. So I stopped putting it in neutral, and now I do not consume any engine oil. At 10K miles it still has full oil level. I do not understand that at all but I am 90% confident of the correlation of excess oil consumption and using neutral at speed. Maybe someone at Ford more familiar with the hybrid engine/tranny/computer mechanism has a clue about the oil consumption. There are no fluid leaks on my garage floor, thus all that oil must have been going out the exhaust, which would not be a good thing. It might be related to an engine code I was getting occasionally, with the engine warning light, PO130, which is the upper oxygen sensor. I never replaced it, and the code and light has stayed off since I turned it off awhile back with my OBD2 meter.

Edited by VonoreTn

The ICE comes on because it's doing the start up checks or any other of the many reasons it comes on. The ICE CAN charge the HVB in R but even if it is running it cannot move the car in R, only the traction motor can. Back out, leave it in R until the ICE quits, then hit the gas. The acceleration is robust and EV only and the ICE won't start if the SOC is high enough. HVAC in Auto when it's cold will cause the ICE to run but not always when the OAT is hot.