Terps

Irregular Turn Signal Behavior

Well here is my observation on this system. When you make a slight left or right turn with the signal on, about 1/8th turn of the wheel, it wont turn off, but go past 1/8th turn and return to center, depending on road speed, it will shut off. If you are barely moving, it wont, but go 40 MPH and it will. Pretty sure it ties in with wheel position and speed, unlike previous systems that use a disk in the column to unlock the stalk. Sounds like yours is just out of calibration.

There are times I could swear I had my signal on, but as I complete the turn, notice that it wasn't.

As with everything else about this car, there is a learning curve. Some grasp it right away, while others can't. Thats just the way it is and always will be. I much prefer the signal stalk in the Fusion. Took a bit to get used to it not staying in place when past the detent, my F150 was the first one I drove that had it and it drove me nuts for the first few trips, but once I got used to it I liked it. The only think that still bugs the crap out of me is in the Flex and now the MKT, I hit the brights when signalling some times. Haven't done it in the Fusion because the design of the stalk it slimmer, but I do it a lot in the MKT/Flex.

The way it works is it detects tail lights, head lights and street lights and switches to low beams. Sometimes though it will confuse bright road markers and switch to low beam. It is designed that way so the brights aren't on in city driving.

I also have this problem. On some days the turn signal works perfectly whether doing a 'full' turn signal or a 'lane change' signal. On other days this problem is so bad that the turn signal is essentially non-functional. When I turn the signal on 'full' all I have to do is nudge the steering wheel (e.g. 0.5° rotation) and it turns off. It drives me nuts. I'll be bringing it in to the dealership very soon. Here's a video showing that all I have to do is nudge the steering wheel to turn off the signal:

http://youtu.be/jOPmdf0aIDw

Your wheel is straight at the time? Please let us know what the dealer says.

Yes, it had been doing it the entire way home from work and I had just pulled into my garage. My wheels were pointed straight ahead. Also, the next day everything was working perfect again. "Erratic" is definitely a good descriptor for this problem.

Hi folks,

If you're concerned that your turn signal is not operating as designed, I recommend going to the dealer to have them take a look. Once you've got an appointment set up, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info.

Ashley

I have noticed the same, usually making a left. I look down at the dash as I'm turning and notice no signal, and think to myself, I thought I turned it on?. Erratic for sure.