Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Prime steak and Tesla

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,494 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

The Edmonds Tesla had close to 25 different drivers who were apparently driving it as hard as they could.  I've seen one picture where it was headed up hill with huge clouds of smoke coming from the rear tires.  I wonder if they complained of poor tire mileage after that test?

• hybridbear likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

The Edmonds Tesla has had it drive train replaced four times since they started testing it.  That's $15K each time.  It has come out that many other owners have had the same problem.  Tesla is now saying that the actual problem was not in the drive train and that a 50 cent shim in another area and some adjustment to the wiring fixes it.  The drive trains were replaced as a quick way to please their customers.

On my fun 70 mile drive to my Dealer near LAX I have seen at least 4 of them dead in the water. They were either being flat-bedded or a CHP/tow truck was on scene.  Plus the one I passed in the AZ desert that was going very slow on I-10 in the 100F+ weather.  I have also see many, many others doing ok, there are quite a few in these parts.

The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#43 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:52 AM

It seems that a Tesla driver needs instruction in energy management.  Determining the distance between two points is not enough.  The elevation changes between those two points are also important.   Energy usage is very dependent on speed.  Far more energy is used at 80 mph than is used at 55 mph.  The one going slow in AZ was probably low on energy and minimizing energy usage in the hope of making it to a charger before running out.

• hybridbear and GrySql like this

#44 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

I think you're right. 

There is the temperature factor for the batteries too, especially in extremes like that days 100F+ AZ weather. 

I'll bet the normal tendency when a new Tesla driver buys one is to leadfoot it, they can be so fast.

Like us with Hybrids and Energi's, we had to get acquainted with the cars behavior before we could maximize it's performance.

• hybridbear likes this
The Time Machine....

#45 OFFLINE   B25Nut

B25Nut

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 805 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid White Platinum - Dune
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

But even novice FFH drivers have never been F.O.R.D.

• acdii, GrySql and Hybrider like this

#46 OFFLINE   talmy

talmy

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 132 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion SE Hybrid, 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

It seems that a Tesla driver needs instruction in energy management.  Determining the distance between two points is not enough.  The elevation changes between those two points are also important.   Energy usage is very dependent on speed.  Far more energy is used at 80 mph than is used at 55 mph.  The one going slow in AZ was probably low on energy and minimizing energy usage in the hope of making it to a charger before running out.

The in-car computer in the Tesla does energy consumption logging and predictions far more sophisticated than our hybrids. And they do give training to purchasers. They try to make driving the Tesla as simple as possible but it still takes planning -- you can't simply jump in the car and drive anywhere. Gasoline powered cars have over a hundred year head start on cross country travel (I doubt that people took their Baker electrics outside of town) and I'd say that coast to coast travel in a Tesla is about as much of an adventure today as doing it in a gas powered car early in the 20th century! You can see their Supercharger map http://www.teslamoto...om/supercharger and it's getting better but won't take you everywhere by a long shot. 

• hybridbear and corncobs like this

#47 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:32 PM

In another post last year I wrote that I had passed a Tesla about half way between Phoenix and Palm Springs (Quartzsite, AZ), it was going very slow (55?) in the right hand lane.  I surmised that the Tesla was low on juice and was going slow to conserve the battery, it was a very hot day.  That area is where I usually stop for my last fill-up of the cheaper AZ gas before entering CA. 

Last week as we were heading west from PHX we pulled into the last entrance to Quartzsite and I noticed that behind a chain hamburger restaurant there was a new bank of 8 Tesla electric Supercharging stations and sure enough there was a Tesla 're-fueling'. 

The Tesla's are now covered for that barren stretch of desert, I'll bet the owners are happy about it too.

http://www.teslamoto...itesupercharger

Edited by GrySql, 14 May 2015 - 07:38 PM.

• hybridbear likes this
The Time Machine....

#48 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:47 PM

I was talking to a Tesla owner while in Atlanta. He was planning a road trip down to Key West.

In general he said it's not too difficult to get the car charged all the way down.
Something that seemed really odd was that there aren't any charging station in Miami or vicinity.
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#49 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,815 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:00 PM

I think there's some kind of dealer in Miami. They brought three cars from there over to Marco Island, FL on the West Coast for weekend demo drives at an auto repair facility. I drove one and it was very luxurious, smooth and powerful. List price was $121K !

#50 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:31 AM

There is no such thing as a Tesla dealer. 

There are three Tesla stores and a Tesla store / service center located between Boca Raton and Miami.  All are owned by Tesla.  The nearest supercharger to Miami is in Marathon in the Keys to the south and in Port St. Lucie to the north.

• hybridbear likes this

#51 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,815 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:03 AM

They must have come from the "store/service center". I think they also brought some kind of portable charger with them and recharged them overnight.

#52 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:40 AM

The Tesla comes with a portable charger, similar to the Fusion Energi.  The Energi charger operates on 120 volts only.  The Tesla charger operates on 120 volts or 240 volts using different plug adapters.

• hybridbear likes this

#53 OFFLINE   machoman1337

machoman1337

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 418 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:FFH SE Ice Storm/Lexus LS430

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:00 PM

Man I certainly would love to stop for a nice steak while charging a Tesla. Smart move.

Teslas are quite common in Vancouver - many places especially downtown have charging stations. New apartment buildings are required by law to include them too. And the hilly nature of the city makes it easy to recharge batteries with downhill braking. The cost of a Tesla isn't too high when you compare it to cars like the BMW 7-series or Mercedes-Benz S-class, which is what the Model S is competing with anyway. Superchargers are getting built in Canada - you can already drive from Toronto to Montreal without running out of juice. Still don't have a route between Vancouver and Toronto, but I believe it's on the company's plans.

• hybridbear likes this

My precious: 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE Ice Storm - Luxury Package (Dune), Navigation, Tech Package, Active Park Assist, Moonroof (ugh), 18" premium painted luxury wheels. Built in July 2012, bought CPO (former demonstrator) in May 2014. 6.3L/100 km lifetime fuel economy

Current temporary ride: 2003 Lexus LS430 w/navigation and parking sensors. Bought in December 2002, selling when I graduate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·