Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Where to connect wires for diy ambient lights?

ambient lighting wires

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:51 AM

Corncobs, where did you end up placing the LED in the cup holders? Beneath the rear spring clip in the cup holder?

Yes right below the opening for the spring clamp. Let me know if you need a closer picture that shows it better.

The wire for the LEDs is paper thin so it doesn't interfere with the operation at all. Also the LED itself is so thin that's not in the way for any cup or bottle.
I found it a bit tricky to get them to stick to the plastic. It's really odd silky smooth plastic the 3M molding tape was fine for a while but I ended up fixing it with a drop a crazy clue.

Tapping into the existing wires should be fine. They also sell RGB LED of the same format IIRC so it might even be possible to have them color changing. Question would be if the control signal are the same?
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,514 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

I believe the 12v LEDs that Corncobs used had two wires, power and ground. If I tapped into the existing power & ground from the existing ambient lighting system, would that work?

It's been several months since I had the console disassembled.  I removed 4 pieces, 2 from each side.  The trim and the side panel.

I did measure the voltage but my notes are gone.  The fact that I called the third wire a logic signal makes me think the voltage was 5 volts but I can't be sure.  From the passenger side, with difficulty, the cable can be unplugged from the module that feeds the light pipe.  I don't know under what conditions it has power.  The wires that feed the power outlet in the console bin are much easier to reach.  That is where I connected my LED system and the feed for a two-way radio,

While the passenger side panel is off, learn where the manual release for the shift lever is located.  It's needed to get out of Park with a dead 12 volt battery.  It's poorly described in the Owner's Manual.

#23 OFFLINE   Former Expedition owner

Former Expedition owner

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 103 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion HyTi

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

They also sell RGB LED of the same format IIRC so it might even be possible to have them color changing. Question would be if the control signal are the same?

I saw the RGB one listed on their website. It states there are four wires, a positive and 3 negatives. Really need a lighting/wiring expert to chime in with the proper wiring method.

Using an RGB Controller ? - (Million Color / Rainbow) We've got you fully covered. The LED module has 4 wires, a universal common positive, and three negatives. We've got a handful of LED Controllers to choose from, including our most popular Freedom Controller if you don't already have an RGB / Rainbow LED controller.

The RGB (Million) won't change colors on its own unless you hook it up to a controller. If you're looking for a tiny LED that changes colors on its own, check our exclusive RGB Color Changing LED.

Maybe I'll send a note to the LED manufacturer to see if they can help.

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium:  Tuxedo Black, Navigation, Driver Assist, Moonroof

#24 OFFLINE   jayemvee

jayemvee

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

Got the ambient lighting done. I tapped into the wire that provides power to the parking lights for the tail light. It was best option, since the SJB is impossible to get to, and tapping into the wire for the front lights would mean going through the firewall somehow. The ambient lights are ice blue, and they come on when you unlock the car and stay on when the lights are on. I wired them to a led dimmer switch that I put in the armrest storage bin. I would be happy to provide specifics or pics for anyone who wants to do this.

• vanillahip likes this

#25 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,514 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

I connected mine to the feed wire for the power jack in the console storage bin since I wanted to be able to turn them on at any time independent of whether the external lights were on or not.  That is how they worked in my 2010 Fusion Hybrid.  The power jacks lose power approximately 75 minutes after the car is turned off unless the 12 volt battery is low.  If the battery is low the power jacks turn off at the same time the radio turns off when the door is opened.

#26 OFFLINE   abarnas

abarnas

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

I think I found an easy way to connect the ambient lighting so that it comes on when the headlights come on. In my car this also works when the doors are opened:

1. Open the panel to access the fuse box on the drivers site (this clicks off from the top and folds down)

2. Unscrew the two screws holding the panel that holds the headlight control switch

3. Pop off this panel

4. Take out the main (biggest of the two) connector

5. Connect your plus wire to the pink wire off the connector (there are two pink wires, I used the one of the left and you'll have to test if you got the right one by switching on the headlights)

6. Connect the ground wire to the black wire off the connector.

Assemble everything back.

Done

• B25Nut and corncobs like this

#27 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

I think I found an easy way to connect the ambient lighting so that it comes on when the headlights come on. In my car this also works when the doors are opened:

1. Open the panel to access the fuse box on the drivers site (this clicks off from the top and folds down)
2. Unscrew the two screws holding the panel that holds the headlight control switch
3. Pop off this panel
4. Take out the main (biggest of the two) connector
5. Connect your plus wire to the pink wire off the connector (there are two pink wires, I used the one of the left and you'll have to test if you got the right one by switching on the headlights)
6. Connect the ground wire to the black wire off the connector.

Assemble everything back.
Done

Cool I still have to do mine the right way. Could you pleas take a pic of the fuse box access panel I wouldn't know what you are talking about.
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#28 OFFLINE   vanillahip

vanillahip

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:44 PM

Has anyone else done DIY ambient lights recently? I'm looking for tips and 'hopefully' pics.

Especially on where / how to make initial connections on fuse box. I've watched several You Tube videos but nobody has one with a 2013+ Fusion that I have found.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ambient, lighting, wires

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·