Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

What are your MUST HAVE supplies?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   clummus

clummus

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 337 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

I'm sure there may be other threads similar to this, but, what are your MUST haves for your new fusion? mine should be here anyday and I've been perusing the forums like crazy. Just ordered the shark fin antennae..(Not sure who I'll get to install it, but I'll have it at least), the zaino Z5, AIO, and claybar, and a custom for Sun shade. What else do you all think is a must have for these beautiful automobiles?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   SteveB_TX

SteveB_TX

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 933 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Our stable: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE, 2013 Ford F-150 XLT Ecoboost Super Crew
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

Don't forget the micro-fiber towels and a California Duster.  Gotta protect the paint from those nasty scratches!    I think I have enough clay bars to last a lifetime.  :)

White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat

Light Dune Leather interior

All of the bells and whistles (without that silly panoramic roof).

#3 OFFLINE   clummus

clummus

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 337 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

what's a California duster?

#4 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:43 PM

GOOGLE is a good friend of mine.

http://www.calcarduster.com/
  • dalesky and SteveB_TX like this
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#5 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

Might want to rethink the Microfibers for the paint, they tend to catch and hold nasties that can scratch the paint. The California Duster is a good one too, forgot about those. They do an excellent job of getting the dust off. I have one for inside and outside. 

• dalesky likes this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#6 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

Might want to rethink the Microfibers for the paint, they tend to catch and hold nasties that can scratch the paint. The California Duster is a good one too, forgot about those. They do an excellent job of getting the dust off. I have one for inside and outside. 

The California duster doesn't hold dirt that scratches the paint?

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#7 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

It shakes out from the duster. The Microfibers have stuff stick and you cant get it out. The Duster looks more like a cotton mop.

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   dalesky

dalesky

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 535 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Mustang GT conv, Fusion HYTI

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

what's a California duster?

See previous reply, and get one!  They are amazing, and rarely if ever need cleaning. I have a small one also, for the interior. Really, they are great devices

HyTi Ice storm

black leather
Sony sound
Voice Nav
Moonroof
Driver assist

1st tank 5-20-13

#9 OFFLINE   dalesky

dalesky

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 535 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

If you attend any car shows, you will likely see California Dusters in use. Consider that many folks who have spent 10's of thousands on their cars, and really want their paint to pop, use them, so they are made to not scratch or leave swirl marks. I always rely on Meguiar's Quik Detailer, with a clean, like new microfiber cloth. It is not meant to be a dirt remover, just for very light dust perhaps, or a little rain spotting.

It shakes out from the duster. The Microfibers have stuff stick and you cant get it out. The Duster looks more like a cotton mop.

I wash my microfiber towels, then line dry them, not in the dryer. Yes, they can hold material. When mine lose their fluff I relegate them to window washing or even applying wax.

• GrySql likes this

HyTi Ice storm

black leather
Sony sound
Voice Nav
Moonroof
Driver assist

1st tank 5-20-13

#10 OFFLINE   neod192

neod192

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,105 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:'13 Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

I wash my microfiber towels, then line dry them, not in the dryer. Yes, they can hold material. When mine lose their fluff I relegate them to window washing or even applying wax.

Do you wash them by hand or in the washer? What's wrong with using the dryer to dry them?

2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium << -- click for the picture gallery

- Deep Impact Blue

- 18" Polished Face with Flash Greay-Painted Pockets Wheels

- Moonroof with Universal Garage Door Opener

- Driver Assist Package

- Voice-Activated Navigation

- Active Park Assist with Forward Sensing System

- Adaptive Cruise Control

Ordered: 11/19/12 | VIN Assigned: 2/28/13 | Build Date: 3/21/13 | ETA: 4/6/13 | Delivery Date: April 5th, 2013 !!!

196622.png

#11 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

I will have to take some close up pics of what I am referring to on the MF towels. I have some that got dropped on the floor and I cant get the dirt out now. 

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   dalesky

dalesky

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 535 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

Do you wash them by hand or in the washer? What's wrong with using the dryer to dry them?

I machine wash them. I believe that the instructions for some of them say not to machine dry. It may reduce the moisture holding properties. My wife has some for hair drying, about the size of a bath towel. They also are not supposed to be dried by machine.

HyTi Ice storm

black leather
Sony sound
Voice Nav
Moonroof
Driver assist

1st tank 5-20-13

#13 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

I will have to take some close up pics of what I am referring to on the MF towels. I have some that got dropped on the floor and I cant get the dirt out now. 

Please post this. When I was telling my parents what I've learned here so we can take good care of their C-Max Energi right from the start they didn't believe me about microfiber because that's what's advertised and sold as being the "best" for use on cars

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#14 OFFLINE   dalesky

dalesky

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 535 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

Please post this. When I was telling my parents what I've learned here so we can take good care of their C-Max Energi right from the start they didn't believe me about microfiber because that's what's advertised and sold as being the "best" for use on cars

Not sure I am getting your concern. MF towels are sold as being best for car care in most auto stores and auto departments.

Also, they are often part of a kit sold by car wax companies (and those making polymer finish products), or are recommended by them for use with their products. 

They are not going to harm your vehicle's finish if they are clean and don't get embedded with any grime or grit. I have not had any issues with mine, except that over time they will lose their 'loft' or softness. when that happens, or if they pick up grime that won't wash out, just don't use them for the exterior. They are the only thing I have used or years, and my Mustang's finish is amazing. Just keep them clean, they will serve you well. I think acdii was just warning that they can pick up dirt that doesn't get washed out. 

When I polish my cars, with either wax or polymer, I put the product on with an old t shirt. I only use clean new pieces of shirt. I wet it, wring it out, and turn it frequently. Once the wax has dried I use a clean MF towel, again turning it frequently. 

HyTi Ice storm

black leather
Sony sound
Voice Nav
Moonroof
Driver assist

1st tank 5-20-13

#15 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

Not sure I am getting your concern. MF towels are sold as being best for car care in most auto stores and auto departments.

Also, they are often part of a kit sold by car wax companies (and those making polymer finish products), or are recommended by them for use with their products. 

They are not going to harm your vehicle's finish if they are clean and don't get embedded with any grime or grit. I have not had any issues with mine, except that over time they will lose their 'loft' or softness. when that happens, or if they pick up grime that won't wash out, just don't use them for the exterior. They are the only thing I have used or years, and my Mustang's finish is amazing. Just keep them clean, they will serve you well. I think acdii was just warning that they can pick up dirt that doesn't get washed out. 

When I polish my cars, with either wax or polymer, I put the product on with an old t shirt. I only use clean new pieces of shirt. I wet it, wring it out, and turn it frequently. Once the wax has dried I use a clean MF towel, again turning it frequently. 

Yes, I have found they can hold grit and scratch the paint.  For a good read, here are tips from Zaino. They recommend a larger cotton towel instead and make some good points.

• hybridbear likes this

Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   dalesky

dalesky

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:12 AM

Yes, I have found they can hold grit and scratch the paint.  For a good read, here are tips from Zaino. They recommend a larger cotton towel instead and make some good points.

I appreciate the info. Thanks for the link.

HyTi Ice storm

black leather
Sony sound
Voice Nav
Moonroof
Driver assist

1st tank 5-20-13

#17 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

Thanks acdii. If you still have the pics you referenced above it would be nice to have those too. I know from experience with the microfiber towels we've used in the past to dry the car (but won't use now that I've learned this) that when they get stains on them from wiping the inside door jambs etc that those stains never come out of microfiber towels

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#18 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

I need to make one minor correction. I discovered that I do use a microfiber towel but it is one made specifically for drying a car. It is much thicker and softer than the microfiber cloths I have.  It doesn't appear to have the same characteristics as the cloths I have. I can literally stick one of those cloths to my hand. They cling to the rough parts of my skin. The drying towel however is very soft and does not cling to anything.  I only use it to dry the car though, and still use the recommended terry cloth towels for the polishing. 

I will get some pics this weekend when I get the kits out for the cars. I have a couple carrying trays I store all my cleaning supplies in, and havent had a chance to bring them upstairs yet. 

• dalesky likes this

Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   Terps

Terps

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 47 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Bordeaux Reserve FFH

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

I use the Meguiars microfiber towels and have not had any issues with dirt staying in them after washing and line drying them. They are much softer than typical microfiber that you can get in bulk at places like home depot. I do have about ten or so per wash that I cycle through so I if I drop one I have a fresh one. Even using them on the piano black interior parts I haven't noticed any scratches from them.

#20 OFFLINE   mokee

mokee

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 160 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion SE Hybrid & 2010 F-150 SCREW 2X4

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

My wife washes the car at least once a week 'cause she loves to play with water and it's her car. :headscratch: I don't know what she uses.

I'm allowed to drive it when we go out 'cause she doesn't like my helpful comments about her driving. I guess I'd have to say her must haves are the antenna balls she has for each holiday along with the sun glasses collection..

• hybridbear likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·