Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Highway Mileage in my 5.0 Genesis this weekend

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Aquineas

Aquineas

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 233 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0, 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

This isn't at all relevant to the Fusion as the cars don't directly compete, but still I got such good mileage (relatively speaking) this weekend that I had to share.  Friday night driving from Houston to Dallas on I-45, I filled up just before getting on I-45. With the cruise set at 80 most of the way, I got 28.3 MPG. This has been by far my best mileage (typical highway mileage is 25-26).  Not bad for a 429 HP 4000+ pound car that was fully loaded.

Edited by Aquineas, 19 May 2013 - 06:39 PM.

Bordeaux Reserve Ford Fusion Titanium ordered 5/6/2013, Window Sticker 6/22/2013, Built 6/28/2013, Delivered 7/12/2013.

I'd rather you tell me something I already know 1,000 times, than not tell me something I don't know once.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

Dude!!! The Genesis is an Awesome car. It is one I would love to have someday, but for now, MPG is a bigger need than anything else.

:worship:

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#3 OFFLINE   Aquineas

Aquineas

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

Thanks!  I love my Genny (it's my second one; my first was a 4.6), but I am seriously excited about the upcoming FFH. It's going to be a battle for the keys in the beginning for sure ;-).

Bordeaux Reserve Ford Fusion Titanium ordered 5/6/2013, Window Sticker 6/22/2013, Built 6/28/2013, Delivered 7/12/2013.

I'd rather you tell me something I already know 1,000 times, than not tell me something I don't know once.

#4 OFFLINE   rico567

rico567

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 93 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi
  • Current Vehicle:04 SAAB 9-5 wagon

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

Dude!!! The Genesis is an Awesome car. It is one I would love to have someday, but for now, MPG is a bigger need than anything else.

:worship:

Same here- we would no doubt have test-driven the Genesis, as well as Lexus, Acura (and be seriously considering M-B, BMW, and Audi CPO cars) if it weren't for the fact that gas mileage is such a high priority in whatever car we buy. And even in this size (we've driven Outback, Prius, Accord, Passat, FFH) there are precious few contenders. The  Outback was a very attractive ride except for the fuel efficiency issue. At present, there are no more than three contenders in the >40mpg category.....and none in a car of the Genesis' size.

#5 OFFLINE   Aquineas

Aquineas

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

I think if I hadn't seen/heard such horror stories from Volkswagen from around the turn of the millennium (anecdotal co-worker stories of oil sludging and generally a littany of problems that were handled horribly the local dealer in Austin at the time), I would be have seriously considered a Passat Diesel.

Edited by Aquineas, 02 June 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   keithsm2

keithsm2

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 232 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 CTSV 2013 FFH

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

wasnt there like a 17 mph tail wind???

Fusion Hybrid Titanium,   Tri-Coat White

Navigation

Moon Roof

Ordered :  March 27th

Bought almost exact order off the lot April 27th

198807.png

112813.png

#7 OFFLINE   djminfll

djminfll

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 956 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Platinum
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

I think if I hadn't seen/heard such horror stories from Volkswagen from around the turn of the millennium (anecdotal co-worker stories of oil sludging and generally a littany of problems that were handled horribly the local dealer in Austin at the time), I would be have seriously considered a Passat Diesel.

When it looked like delivery of my FFH was going to be delayed beyond the promised delivery date, I considered the Passat Diesel as an alternative choice. Nice car, smooth ride, and decent mpg. And the dealer was REALLY willing to negotiate. But I knew that once the Ford dealer called me to tell me my car was ready, I would have been upset for not waiting. Plus, I remembered that when I had a Mazda Millenia in the past, it was serviced at a VW/Mazda/Kia dealer, and there was a woman in the waiting room one day who had a notebook full of the complaints she had with her VW. She told me she was so excited, because when this repair didn't last, she was finally eligible for a Lemon Law exchange. We got into a discussion with a number of other service customers, and every single one of the VW customers was complaining how many problems they had with their VWs, and this was everything from the Golf, Beetle, and Jetta, to the Passat. I kept thinking about that, and decided to wait for the FFH to be delivered. As luck would have it, it ended up only being delayed a few days past the promised delivery date, so I am glad I made the decision to wait!

• acdii likes this

2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Platinum

Burgundy Velvet

Took Ownership 09/12/2017

662937.png

#8 OFFLINE   aaronj1159

aaronj1159

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 407 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

Eh. My family has had 3 VW's in the past (I learned on a 2000 Beetle, then traded for a 2006 Jetta. My dad had a 2008 Passat). We never had a single issue with any of them that wasn't our own fault. So, personally I see them as reliable cars.

#9 OFFLINE   Aquineas

Aquineas

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

Eh. My family has had 3 VW's in the past (I learned on a 2000 Beetle, then traded for a 2006 Jetta. My dad had a 2008 Passat). We never had a single issue with any of them that wasn't our own fault. So, personally I see them as reliable cars.

Google VW engine sludge.

#10 OFFLINE   aaronj1159

aaronj1159

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

Google VW engine sludge.

Okay. I mean a lot of car manufacturers have to have recalls at some point for various reasons. Ours may have one for this fuel leak soon. None of our VWs ever had a single issue. That's all I'm saying. They would have been my first choice when I was shopping but they don't currently make anything that meet my specifications.

#11 OFFLINE   rico567

rico567

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 93 posts
  • Current Vehicle:04 SAAB 9-5 wagon

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:17 AM

I tend to be skeptical of all anecdotal evidence, with which the Internet abounds. (Note: that includes MY anecdotes, which I heartily urge everyone to ignore). It's a well established rule that people voice their complaints, and if they're content, they tend not to. And who is a car service waiting room going to attract but people with issues? This comprises a self-selected sample. An example of an artificially selected sample is a survey done at Stanford University a number of years back that indicated that over 80% of women on campus had been sexually assaulted. Where was the survey distributed? In the campus battered women's shelter. Hell, I'm surprised it was only 80%!

(Note: another anecdote coming!)

I read a thread on a VW forum where one owner thought that VW should recall all their diesel cars and replace the high-pressure fuel pump. Why? Because his had gone bad, that's why. The rest of the story is that VW replaced his fuel pump for free outside of warranty, and sent him a check for two months' car payment. And yet he continues to insist that the "right thing" for VW to do would be to recall tens of thousands of cars to replace a component that has a documented failure rate of <1%.

(Please feel free to ignore preceding anecdote.)

In my opinion, this sums up perfectly where we get a lot of our notions of what cars are and aren't bad. The only thing that registers with many people when they read the above anectode is "VWs have bad fuel pumps." Am I supposed to believe that Ford has general, serious quality problems because of several comments I've read in this forum? I don't think so.

Edited by rico567, 13 June 2013 - 07:18 AM.

• aaronj1159 likes this

#12 OFFLINE   aaronj1159

aaronj1159

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:20 AM

^My thoughts exactly.^

#13 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

I wouldnt get a VW based on two things, neither of which is based on other peoples problems.  First and foremost, I just dont like how they look inside or out. Second, Diesel maintenance, I dont know if it is true with the Diesels today, but a few years back, if you did not do the 90K maintenance, which cost up to $900 depending on who does it, you have a very high risk of blowing the engine as it deals with the timing belt.  Back in the 90's when I was working turning a wrench, breaking a timing belt on the majority of cars usually meant a complete valve job, or worse, a head replacement or complete engine, as the valves interfered with the pistons, and the VW diesel was no different.   Also since the water pump was part of the timing belt setup, that was when you replaced the pump, just to be safe, it also required special tools, so a dealer is the most likely place to have it done, so it got to be pretty pricey. It may or may not have changed since the last 2007 model, but this would be why i wouldnt get one. 

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#14 OFFLINE   Aquineas

Aquineas

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

I agree all manufacturers have their problems and "problem children", but the VW and Audi dealerships (the Audi dealership wasn't as bad, but still vehemently fought to deny culpability) I'm referring to are incredibly arrogant and treated these two particular customers (who are friends and co-workers of mine) like horse dung once the sale was made.

In any case, the VW lovers out there are welcome to vote with their wallets to show their support, and those like me, who have little to no faith in them after seeing at least 2 people in my company have engine sludge problems while observing VW/Audi (one of the cars was an A4) do everything possible to deny responsibility, can choose not to. I'm sure the Passat Hybrid is selling very well. I mean, you own one, right?

Edited by Aquineas, 14 June 2013 - 06:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·