lmp180psu

Oil change issue

So I guess that shop didn't read my oil change post, too bad... I noted it takes 4.5 quarts for the hybrid, though other Fusion models take different levels based on what I saw in the owner's manual. This is why I always change it myself, don't have a lot of trust in others with this.

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/5886-oil-change-info-for-2013-hybrid/

Well thankfully my dealer does RTFM, since they changed the oil in the one I had when the plugs fouled and got it right.

Update: Lets just say that I dont think i will be going back to my dealer for service again.

This is why it's worth it to me to do it myself, sure they are supposed to know what they are doing but with the claims they make on getting you in and out so quickly, seems the timeliness is the #1 issue rather than the thoroughness and accuracy -- yes a professional can do both, but the consequences if they overfill or underfill by a significant amount, well that's not good. So I prefer to change my own, which is about the only thing I do on cars anymore, but still like to do it and know that it was done right.

Update: Lets just say that I dont think i will be going back to my dealer for service again. I took the car in yesterday to have them redo the oil change or at least take some oil out, and after about 15 minutes, the service writer brought me back to talk to the mechanic. They both went on to tell me that 5.5 quarts is the correct amount and that it is ok if the oil level is at the upper open dot on the dipstick. I told them that the owners manual says 4.5 quarts for the hybrid, and is 5.7 for the 2.0 ecoboost (picture me pointing to the glove box lol grrrrr) and still they said 5.5. He even took out the dipstick to show it was around that level, which i beleive was the case since it was just driven in minutes earlier, so not all the oil drained back into the pan, so it was reading a bit lower than actual. He went on to tell me he fills it to the upper dot which I don't think is ok, but would be passable. I told them i checked it a good 18 hours after i last drove it, and it was above the open dot and close to the swirl part of the stick The service writer said they will make a note in the computer to not charge me for 6 qts next time, and i said that wasn't the point, the overfilling was. My bill was corrected on saturday so i wasnt worried about that part. I will probably call the local dealer near my work later and see if they can fit me in for an oil change in the next couple days. I'll just eat $25-30 and call it a day.

Do this, call the local dealer and ask how many quarts they put in the new Fusion Hybrid when doing an oil change. If they come back with the correct amount, then you know for sure the other dealer screwed up and call Ford customer service. Overfilling is not a good thing, too much and the engine will burn oil, and cause other problems. Your's is probably going to be OK, so I wouldnt worry too much, but I wouldnt waste more money on another oil change. Just get your answers now so you will be set for the next one in 10K miles.

So this begs the question, and I've wondered this on my 2010 FFH...

How many qts of oil is certainly an overfill and going to cause the 'frothing'?

6qts, 7qts, more?

Seems to be that although it's more than the manual says, 5.5qts really should

not be an issue. Sounds like an inexperienced mechanic to me.

So I think this may have happened to me...I got my oil changed Thursday and the PCM update done. Today when I filed my receipt with my other FFH paperwork I noticed that it says 6 quarts of oil. So I went back and looked at my previous two oil change receipts from this dealer, both of which say 5 quarts. They've previously spilled oil all over my engine compartment and failed to clean it up.

I think with 3-4 different types of engines on the Fusion (1.6, 2.0, 2.0 hybrid, also still a 2.5?) they each call for a different amount of oil, and opens to the door for the wrong amount for a tech that is not paying close attention. I wonder if this happened in your case?

I would write a long letter to Alan Mulally about this Dealer's incompetance. The 2010 FFH specifically cautions about overfilling the oil above the 5 qts. that hybrid 2.5 liter calls for. The other Fusion 2.5 l. engines called for 5.3 l. They charge you for 6 l. The 2010 FFH blows smoke under hard right turn acceleration when the oil level is too high.

The oil level is hard to see on my 2010 FFH. I wait at least a half hour after shutdown on a level surface, pull the stick, thoroughly wipe it, reinsert and then remove it and look for the wetted surface that a good light will reflect from. You should be able to see it that way.