darrel.e.wise

EPA test is totally unrealistic

38 is about what I can average in my 2010 on the interstate, but I can get it up to 50 if I try really hard. Then again I rarely go over 65 either, I stopped doing that when gas hit $2.50 a gallon. I think EPA does not consider highway Interstate travel but the 2 lane rural highways instead. On those the EPA average of 48 MPH is more realistic. Also you figure in the brief spurt to 80 MPH in the test simulates passing someone.

EPA needs to add one more item to their list, and that is Interstate travel where you are driving up to 75 MPH for extended times. That would be much more realistic and what the vast majority of people consider "highway".

Lets all go back to horse and buggy! Then we can measure it as miles per pound of grain! :) At least then we can find jobs for people in cleaning up the streets. :happy feet:

Sadly I think you're right. The automakers are very powerful and wield a big stick...plus it's really only hybrids that have the potential for grossly inaccurate EPA test ratings compared to real world driving

This is true, in a non Hybrid, it is easy to surpass the highway EPA, but not so much in a Hybrid. When I test drove a used MKT Ecoboost I got above EPA in it, 23 MPG combined. It was rated 16/22. Heck I even got 31 MPG on a tank when I first got my 2010 Fusion Sport when I drove to the Dells. Havent been able to do it after that, but It did do quite well, considering how hard I drove it.

No, just a more realistic test to simulate interstate speeds in addition to Rural road speeds and City driving. City driving is pretty darned close, and no arguments there, but the vast majority of people regard Highway speeds as Interstate which is 65 MPH or higher, not the 55 MPH of Rural state highways. Not much to ask for, just one more parameter that most people will better understand.