Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

EPA test is totally unrealistic

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   darrel.e.wise

darrel.e.wise

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 25 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid -- Bordeau Reserve/Dune Leather

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

Just got back from driving from Kansas City to Dallas and back and concluded that the EPA highway mileage test is totally a fantasy. I don't blame Ford. You can't expect the EPA results when they don't drive 70 mph for an extended time. If they would simulate Interstate highway driving they would get more realistic results. 9 hours at 65 to 70 mph produced 38.7 mpg. Am I upset? No. It is still way better than the 27 mpg I got with my previous car. So those of you who are expecting 47 mpg highway, I simply say to you. Stay off the Interstates and keep it under 60 like the EPA does. I used much less fuel on this trip than I did on all the previous trips.
  • B25Nut, hybridbear and Toz like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fusionTX

fusionTX

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 621 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

I should be getting my car in the next couple of weeks.

I probably won't have it a week before I turn around and head on an 1,100 mile trip to Florida.

I would be happy if I got 38 MPGs. I expect I will get lower.

My Camry does 33 to 34 on that Trip. Speeds are usually between 75 and 80.

I may experiment with the Fusion at different speeds for portions of the trip.

Either way it will be nice to be driving my new car.

• hybridbear likes this
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium[list]
[*]Sterling Gray, Navigation, Driver Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control
[*]Navigation, Driver Assist, Park Assist, Moonroof, Trunk Cargo Net

#3 OFFLINE   Toz

Toz

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 422 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2000 Dodge Intrepid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

I have never owned a car that could average almost 39 MPG at 70MPH.  That would make me happy.  That being said, I am hoping for a little bit better than that on my 20 mile 55MPH daily comute.

• hybridbear likes this

14 Sunset HyTi

ACC,Bliss, lane keeping,

heated steering wheel,

heated and cooled seats with 10 way Passenger seat

rear inflatable seatbelts

Soft Ceramic interior

Ordered: 21Oct13

Vin:25OCT13

Est. build date: Week of 11 Nov 13 

Window sticker: 7 Nov 13

Build date: 13 Nov 13

Est. Delivery Date:13 Dec 13

Delivery date:!3 Dec 13

#4 OFFLINE   Jmagg73

Jmagg73

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 20 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

Make sure you turn on the ECO cruise control in the settings. I went from 38 to 42mpg in a snap.
  • fusionTX and ace8726872 like this
192001.png

#5 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

38 is about what I can average in my 2010 on the interstate, but I can get it up to 50 if I try really hard. Then again I rarely go over 65 either, I stopped doing that when gas hit $2.50 a gallon.  I think EPA does not consider highway Interstate travel but the 2 lane rural highways instead. On those the EPA average of 48 MPH is more realistic. Also you figure in the brief spurt to 80 MPH in the test simulates passing someone.

EPA needs to add one more item to their list, and that is Interstate travel where you are driving up to 75 MPH for extended times. That would be much more realistic and what the vast majority of people consider "highway".

• hybridbear and neod192 like this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#6 OFFLINE   terryb

terryb

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 430 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 fusion hybrid

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

I should be getting my car in the next couple of weeks.

I probably won't have it a week before I turn around and head on an 1,100 mile trip to Florida.

I would be happy if I got 38 MPGs. I expect I will get lower.

My Camry does 33 to 34 on that Trip. Speeds are usually between 75 and 80.

I may experiment with the Fusion at different speeds for portions of the trip.

Either way it will be nice to be driving my new car.

I had a 1000 on mine before I went to Tampa.  I got arount 39 on the 70-75 mph Interstates.  The ACC was so cool I could just let it take care of the slight 'wrinkles' in the traffic speed.  Just don't let the 'toys' distrct you too much.

I'm waiting for your deal to close so I find out what my referral incentive will be.

Delivered 1/2/13
Ice Storm 2 / Moon Roof / Navi w MFT / Driver Assist / Luxury Pkg.
505A / leather Dune / rear view camera / park assist
Adaptive Cruise / remote Start / luxury wheels

171254.png

233484.png

#7 OFFLINE   fusionTX

fusionTX

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 621 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

I had a 1000 on mine before I went to Tampa.  I got arount 39 on the 70-75 mph Interstates.  The ACC was so cool I could just let it take care of the slight 'wrinkles' in the traffic speed.  Just don't let the 'toys' distrct you too much.

I'm waiting for your deal to close so I find out what my referral incentive will be.

Yeah I'm really looking forward to ACC on the trip. Hope the car arrives in time.
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium[list]
[*]Sterling Gray, Navigation, Driver Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control
[*]Navigation, Driver Assist, Park Assist, Moonroof, Trunk Cargo Net

#8 OFFLINE   TX NRG

TX NRG

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 130 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

38 is about what I can average in my 2010 on the interstate.

EPA needs to add one more item to their list, and that is Interstate travel where you are driving up to 75 MPH for extended times. That would be much more realistic and what the vast majority of people consider "highway".

IIRC, Illinois interstates are 65mph (not that anyone obeys that) and other states are 70 or 75, with stretches of 80 or even 85mph for some lucky few (as long as they avoid the occasional crossing wild boar!). As you suggest, the EPA should include a steady state test for a set number of Interstate miles (say 50 miles) at 5 mph increments; 60mph, 65mph, 70mph, 75 mph, 80mph. Then people can quickly see what they should reasonably expect for MPG at the Interstate speeds they normally travel.
  • acdii and darrel.e.wise like this
226923.png

#9 OFFLINE   tombarker13ffh

tombarker13ffh

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 250 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE, 2012 Ford Escape

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

I think they should at least have a better disclaimer than 'your mileage may vary'. It should say that averages will decrease so much at certain speeds, on average of course. Some people get better than others in different climates, elevations, etc. But they're not required to, so why would they?
  • hybridbear likes this

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid in Oxford White

2012 Ford Escape FWD (Wife's)

185651.png

#10 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

Indeed!

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   neod192

neod192

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,105 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:'13 Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

I took a 142 mile trip today and got 36.4 MPG - in my dad's '13 Accord... I set the cruise control at 70 and just steered.

So what is so special about that Honda (EPA highway rated at 36 MPG) that it can beat the rating in real life driving? This was with 87 octane gas, 50 degree temps and 4 adults in the car. If I was to drive according to the EPA rules I could've gotten over 40 MPG.

Did Honda understate their rating? Why would they do that?

So why is the Fusion struggling to reach its EPA rating in real life? Why is the Fusion (not just the Hybrid) so inefficient at true highway speeds (70 MPH & higher)?

Edited by neod192, 30 March 2013 - 07:59 PM.

2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium << -- click for the picture gallery

- Deep Impact Blue

- 18" Polished Face with Flash Greay-Painted Pockets Wheels

- Moonroof with Universal Garage Door Opener

- Driver Assist Package

- Voice-Activated Navigation

- Active Park Assist with Forward Sensing System

- Adaptive Cruise Control

Ordered: 11/19/12 | VIN Assigned: 2/28/13 | Build Date: 3/21/13 | ETA: 4/6/13 | Delivery Date: April 5th, 2013 !!!

196622.png

#12 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

I have never owned a car that could average almost 39 MPG at 70MPH.  That would make me happy.  That being said, I am hoping for a little bit better than that on my 20 mile 55MPH daily comute.

You will. 55MPH steady state driving you should see pretty close to 47 MPG depending on conditions. Favorable conditions and you'll beat that, strong winds and cold winter and you might only get 40 on that same trip

38 is about what I can average in my 2010 on the interstate, but I can get it up to 50 if I try really hard. Then again I rarely go over 65 either, I stopped doing that when gas hit $2.50 a gallon.  I think EPA does not consider highway Interstate travel but the 2 lane rural highways instead. On those the EPA average of 48 MPH is more realistic. Also you figure in the brief spurt to 80 MPH in the test simulates passing someone.

I also have slowed down with the increase in gas prices and becoming more budget conscious. As I moved on from being a student living at home, to a starving college student, to being single living on my own and now to being married my priorities have changed and I've found that every penny saved on gas can be spent on more rewarding activities

I took a 142 mile trip today and got 36.4 MPG - in my dad's '13 Accord... I set the cruise control at 70 and just steered.

So what is so special about that Honda (EPA highway rated at 36 MPG) that it can beat the rating in real life driving? This was with 87 octane gas, 50 degree temps and 4 adults in the car. If I was to drive according to the EPA rules I could've gotten over 40 MPG.

Did Honda understate their rating? Why would they do that?

So why is the Fusion struggling to reach its EPA rating in real life? Why is the Fusion (not just the Hybrid) so inefficient at true highway speeds (70 MPH & higher)?

lolder can explain the engineering perspective better than I can, but it has to do with the engine sizing and the fact that our ICE shuts off in the EPA tests at highway speeds. Think about what happens in the Accord when the EPA test calls for deceleration. The ICE keeps running and burning gas. In our car, as soon as the EPA test stops accelerating the ICE can shut off and save gas. Many gas only cars can exceed their EPA highway mileage on steady cruising because of the way the EPA tests are designed. Think also about what happens during the EPA test when the Accord accelerates, that leads to increased fuel consumption in comparison with steady state driving. In steady speed driving the ICE in the Accord is much larger than what is needed, because the ICE needs to be sized for acceleration and climbing hills. In our hybrids when the ICE is on at highway speeds we're using a higher percentage of its available power because it has been downsized since we also have an electric motor. This leads to our engine working harder as a percentage of its total capacity to maintain those same speeds, that doesn't mean it is less efficient or worse...hybrids sacrifice highway efficiency in order to get better mileage in the city. Take a look at some of the posts under MPG Happy Talk. On city drives we're consistently seeing 50+ MPG, even 60+ MPG. Our current tank, almost 100 miles all city is currently showing over 51 MPG. And it's still only in the 40s in MN, imagine what it will do when it's 60 or 70 degrees! That's what hybrids are for, not cruising at 80 MPH down the interstate. Diesels are best for that.

In our 2006 Accord Hybrid we could get 40-45 MPG steady state cruising on the highway at 55 MPH in favorable conditions (warm but not enough to need A/C, no wind). In the Fusion we'll get 50-55 MPG in those same conditions. Both cars can exceed their EPA rating in highway cruising under the right circumstances.

Edited by hybridbear, 30 March 2013 - 09:35 PM.

• GrySql, neod192 and mokee like this

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#13 OFFLINE   ketel0ne

ketel0ne

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 20 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ruby Red SE Hybrid

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

This page always makes me laugh. 

http://www.fuelecono...schedules.shtml over 1 minute to get to 50mph in the test. Is never over 60mph and when at 60 it is for less than I believe 2% of the entire highway test. The highspeed and city are just as whack. 

• hybridbear likes this

#14 OFFLINE   tombarker13ffh

tombarker13ffh

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

"EPA needs to add one more item to their list, and that is Interstate travel where you are driving up to 75 MPH for extended times. That would be much more realistic and what the vast majority of people consider "highway"."

I believe the auto industry has too much of an influence on the matter to allow that to happen. In fact I'm sure they are spending a lot of resources to stop that from happening. If the epa ratings came out saying 47/47/35, Ford wouldnt sell as many as 47/47 and 'your mileage may vary' fine print. There's just not enough power in the consumer to change these things for the consumers best interest.

Edited by tombarker13ffh, 01 April 2013 - 02:12 AM.

• hybridbear likes this

185651.png

#15 OFFLINE   tombarker13ffh

tombarker13ffh

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:26 AM

"Observe the Speed Limit
(New Information)

While each vehicle reaches its optimal fuel economy at a different speed (or range of speeds), gas mileage usually decreases rapidly at speeds above 50 mph.

You can assume that each 5 mph you drive over 50 mph is like paying an additional $0.26 per gallon for gas." -fueleconomy.gov
  • hybridbear likes this

185651.png

#16 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

Lets all go back to horse and buggy! Then we can measure it as miles per pound of grain! :)   At least then we can find jobs for people in cleaning up the streets.   :happy feet:

• hybridbear likes this

Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

"EPA needs to add one more item to their list, and that is Interstate travel where you are driving up to 75 MPH for extended times. That would be much more realistic and what the vast majority of people consider "highway"."

I believe the auto industry has too much of an influence on the matter to allow that to happen. In fact I'm sure they are spending a lot of resources to stop that from happening. If the epa ratings came out saying 47/47/35, Ford wouldnt sell as many as 47/47 and 'your mileage may vary' fine print. There's just not enough power in the consumer to change these things for the consumers best interest.

Sadly I think you're right. The automakers are very powerful and wield a big stick...plus it's really only hybrids that have the potential for grossly inaccurate EPA test ratings compared to real world driving

• acdii likes this

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#18 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

Sadly I think you're right. The automakers are very powerful and wield a big stick...plus it's really only hybrids that have the potential for grossly inaccurate EPA test ratings compared to real world driving

This is true, in a non Hybrid, it is easy to surpass the highway EPA, but not so much in a Hybrid.  When I test drove a used MKT Ecoboost I got above EPA in it, 23 MPG combined. It was rated 16/22.  Heck I even got 31 MPG on a tank when I first got my 2010 Fusion Sport when I drove to the Dells. Havent been able to do it after that, but It did do quite well, considering how hard I drove it. 

Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   terryb

terryb

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 430 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 fusion hybrid

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

Folks, I think we are dissing the EPA test unjustly.  Does the test actually try to emulate "real world driving"?  In texas or Colorado or Pennsylvania?  Little old lady, stoner, 16 year old?  It is a multi-mode fixed procedure for each vendor to follow to provide a comparitive baseline value.  There is no way for somebody to formulate a test to match your MO in the car.  Exactly how many factors would need to be considered to give you conficence in a number ?How many speeds?  How many temperatures?  How many tire sizes, gas grades, rates of acceleration, etc., etc.

It's fine for filling up these threads with rants against big companies and ineffective government but I don't see much constructive outcome.  Maybe FMCs reporting of customer reported data?

• B25Nut and hybridbear like this
Delivered 1/2/13
Ice Storm 2 / Moon Roof / Navi w MFT / Driver Assist / Luxury Pkg.
505A / leather Dune / rear view camera / park assist
Adaptive Cruise / remote Start / luxury wheels

171254.png

233484.png

#20 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

No, just a more realistic test to simulate interstate speeds in addition to Rural road speeds and City driving.  City driving is pretty darned close, and no arguments there, but the vast majority of people regard Highway speeds as Interstate which is 65 MPH or higher, not the 55 MPH of Rural state highways.  Not much to ask for, just one more parameter that most people will better understand.

• bcrisp likes this

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·