Fusion Hybrid Guide

Fusion Hybrid: Fuel Saving Tips and Tricks

I remember you saying that about the poor coasting abilities in your 13. Mine is completely different; when I take the foot of the gas it really coasts for a long time without really slowing down much at all; in CL on 14 between lights at 35 MPH I can take me foot of the gas at one traffic light when I see the next one red and still need to use the brakes when I get there.

Thats how the 10 is, but the 13, lets say I am doing 35 at Sams club and take my foot off I will have dropped 10 MPH when I reach the next light at Kmart. By the time I get halfway between that light and the next at Main, I had to give it gas to make it to the light. The only time it ever coasted was with a full charge.

You know, I wonder if the problem was due to the brake pedal position sensor, if it detected a slight bit of pressure it would apply regen, but it never showed up as the regen circle until I actually applied brake. This is how it acted though.

I take it in Michigan a rear ender isnt an automatic ticket like in Ill.

That exactly how I have changed my driving behavior; let the others race each other to the next light or next slower car; I keep up with traffic but I don't care if there is a gap of several cars between the car ahead and myself.

A lot more relaxing for me but it seems to be more frustrating for others like the one guy behind me this morning in his Roadmaster ready to have a heart attack not being able to chase the car in front of me.

Yes, my experience as well. It feels like people are constantly tailgating me. If we're driving 10-20mph and I can't see your headlights, you're too close!

Have to be really careful as I (and I assume most others) don't feel like we're driving overly slow just to get better mileage, but people can't handle me coasting

to lights 5+ car lengths ahead. Shows you the average driver is an idiot. Hey guess what, if there is a red light ahead of me that I can coast to,

I take my foot off the gas!

Needless to say, I get passed alot just because I'm not flooring it downhill all the time.

Would not make not difference, nobody pays attention to the Hybrid badge (except us geeks),

most people wouldn't know a hybrid from a Bugatti Veyron.... If you did that in a sports car,

though you might get shot at or at least dirtier looks from those who do recognize it.

I seriously consider removing the "hybrid" badge on the back to see if that changes the behavior or not; but I guess people would react the same if you would to drive a 500 HP sports car this way; I'm not sure

It doesn't, I get the same crap from aggressive Special kind of Stupid drivers when I drive the Flex. Just because I can go 0-60 in 6 seconds, doesn't mean I have to. As all the others said, its the same for me. Can't tell you how many times I have someone ride my butt, then pass me, only to be passed by me at the next light. Then wash, rinse, repeat all over again.

Kind of reminds me of smokers, complain about the high cost of smokes, know all the health risks, yet continue to suck on them and put $6 or more a pack up in smoke, money to burn. Imagine all the extra cash you can have if you just slow down and Drive Smarter, not Faster.

I found that most engines most efficient RPM range is between 1500 and 1700 RPMs, Diesels being up to 1800 RPM. Pans out so far in every geared vehicle I have driven recently. Of course the gearing determines what speed you travel in that RPM range. In the F150 that limited me to 65 MPH, dont know what it is in the Flex yet as I haven't gone over 65 MPH on a cruise and looked at the RPM's. The V8's in the Grand Marquis and Crown Vic were same, right around 1500-1700 got the best economy. This goes back to 1992, the 79 LTD had a C6 and no overdrive, so it ran above 2500 at highway speeds, yet still managed 21 MPG.

If your outside diameter stays within reason of the stock tires, should have no affect on the CVT, but YMMV.

On the F350 Dually I had with the 7.3Powerstroke Diesel, it came with 4:11 gearing, when I blew out the spider gears horsing around(Never do a burnout in a Dually, no matter how cool it looks), I down sized both front and rear to 3:73 gearing and improved my highway MPG from 18 to 20. It dropped 400 RPM too. at 65-70 it would be spinning at 2100 RPM, after the gearing change it dropped to 1700. On the BII you might want to see if you can find a gearing calculator that uses the tire sizes to determine what final gears to use based on the RPM and output of your trans. I used to be able to do it, but after not doing it for nearly 2 decades, its all fuzzy math now.