Fusion Hybrid Guide

Fusion Hybrid: Fuel Saving Tips and Tricks

While I cant say it works on the 2013, cause it doesn't work in mine, nothing does at this point, in cold weather, I make sure I shut the HVAC off before I start the car. Turn on the seat warmers, put on some gloves and dont breath heavy, and drive. If your windows start to fog, turn the defrost/floor on with low blower. This minimizes heat drawn from the engine so it warms quicker and gets you into EV mode faster. When you are on open road above 45, then you can turn up the heat since the engine at that speed is on all the time.

In summertime, if you have sunroof, open all windows and the sunroof for a few minutes, then close the front windows, set the sunroof to the vent position, and close the rear windows until there is about an inch gap. Unless it is really hot and humid, this actually keeps the car cool so you dont need to run AC. I gain at least 3 MPG during the summer on the highway this way.

One technique that is rarely mentioned is to minimize go pedal movement. Every time you change that pedal, the computer has to recalculate the new operating point. It does it very quickly but it's more efficient when you keep steady pressure. I notice when my wife is driving that she's on and off the throttle all the time. She doesn't seem to have a good sense of closure rates on the vehicle in front of her. In the FFH, this causes more stops and starts of the ICE. There is an energy penalty in starting the ICE which is not recouped when it is shut down; unlike the regenerative braking energy recovered from the original speed acceleration. The Prius ICE doesn't shut down as aggressively as the FFH ICE and that may be one of the reasons it's mileage is less affected by driving style.

Feathering is OK, but on and off the pedal, I agree with. That confuses the system into thinking you are coasting. Even after 7400 miles I still havent quite found its sweet spot for smooth transition to EV without backing completely off the pedal. It's there, but havent found it's point.

The 2010-12 FFH is very similar to the Toyota systems, but can EV up to 45 instead of 42 in the Toys. It transitions smoother than Toyotas do.

The 2.5L engine used is more fuel efficient at sustained highway speeds than the 2.0 that is in the new Fusions since it has to run above 45 MPH with very little assist from the EV side. Makes me wonder why Ford chose a smaller engine when the proven 2.5 does very well at highway speeds. If the tech used to get up to 62 MPG EV is used with the 2.5 wouldn't it be even more fuel efficient?

Atkinson is more than valve timing, it also has a longer stroke. If the valve closes normally then pre-detonation would occur, and you would need 110 octane av gas to avoid that. As for a larger engine being more efficient, it does hold true in some respects. When you have so much HP and torque to weight/wind resistance ratio, the larger engines will be more efficient since it doesn't have to work as hard to move the vehicle. Thats the premise behind the Ecoboost engines, more power in a smaller engine that can get the vehicle moving, then be efficient at cruising speeds. Works with the V6, but doesn't appear to work well with the I4.

To me Ford went backwards in the new Fusion. It is so much easier to get decent MPG in the older FFH at highway speeds. The engine isnt working as hard in it.

Something interesting I found in the Flex, and may relate back to the 13 Fusion. If I take my foot completely off the gas, the car goes into downshift mode, where it thinks since you took your foot off you are planning on braking. If I leave just a very slight pressure on it, then it doesn't slowdown, yet the IFE gauge is fully blue. The moment I remove the pressure I can feel the car slow as if its dropping a gear. I should hook the scangauge up to it and see what the tps reading is, as it barely does anything RPM wise. I dont think the pedal moves any more than 1/16th of an inch if that.

Since the new Fusion is slightly different than the old one and the Flex(the 10 FFH and Flex are very similar above 45 MPH), the pedal pressures needed to feather are quite different, that was one of the most difficult things I had to contend with going between the two cars, took 8000 miles before I found the key differences. In the 10 FFH when the foot is taken completely off, it coasts, doesnt go into full regen but captures some energy as it freewheels. The 13 when you release the gas goes into the same type of anticipation of braking mode and starts to full regen, which is why I can feel a huge difference between the two and why my brake scores were low. Where I would take my foot off and coast in the 10, I needed to keep on the throttle in the 13 and brake later, and that timing was a bitch to contend with.

For example, on the rural roads, the best place to release the gas is when you get to the sign warning of the stop ahead, and I would coast maybe half the distance then apply brakes. The regen in the 10 slows the car pretty quick. The 13 however if I lift my foot at that sign the car has slowed too much so that by the time I reach the stop sign I am 10 feet behind it. Other times I am past the stop sign and have to use the service brakes, which instantly kill a good score. Occasionally I can release the gas at that sign and lightly rest my foot on the brake so it starts to regen, but then I am crawling the last 30 feet to the stop. Totally different between the 2.