Ric

Daytime Running lights?

My dealer activated my DRLs last week when I took delivery of my 2013 FFH.

It would be interesting to know how much extra energy turning them on would consume. Also, it would be great to find a service bulletin that explains how to turn them on so that those with reluctant dealers can show them how it is done.

Overall, if this is just a software change, it seems really stupid that Ford didn't make it a setting the driver could change. Personally, I'd love LED "eyebrow" DRLs

It's done at the dealer using their computer system. That is if they will admit to being able to do it. Some dealers just flat out lie and will tell you it can't be done. My dealer offered to activate them on my MKZh and my FFH for free and I respectfully declined.

I want to figure out how to turn on the "signature" LEDs up front on the Z (without resorting to the parking lights switch). I am on the waiting list for the 2013 Fusion/MKZ Hybrid Wiring Diagrams from Helms. Why Ford refuses to light up the front of their cars is beyond me. I have added the Ford DRL kit to my Sport Trac, and had an aftermarket DRL setup on my 2005 Mustang GT Convertible.

The answer is posted in this thread. Just have the dealer turn on the DRL function - it's all in the software. The wiring diagram won't help you.

They could have done the same on your Sport Trac, the DRLs are just a software setting on that one as well.

The DRLs are only for the headlamps, from what I understand. I want the LED strip that is located under each headlight, not the LED headlamps themselves, to be fully on during the day, as well as at night (normal op). :)

There is no PCM like in the FFH and MKZ, in the Sport Trac, so no, it can't be programmed to turn on DRLs. The DRLs on the 2002 require a physical switch on the headlamp switch, wiring, and the DRL module... none of which came on mine.

Edited by SteveB_TX

The shop manual says the DRL on the MKZ is the LED strip, not the headlamp, so the dealer activation should be all you need:

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

The DRL system consists of the BCM and the front signature lighting (if equipped).

The DRL system operates the front parking lamps at an increased intensity.

I looked up a 2008 Sport Trac, that one can have the DRL turned on, but if yours is a 2002 then you're right, it needs some hardware.

Well thanks, that is good to know. :)

I must now go and beat someone severely about the head for the misinformation given me... then ask them nicely to please enable my LED DRLs! :dance:

I would tell them that if they want me to give them high marks on their survey from Ford then they should turn them on at no charge and see what they say. I don't know about you but if the dealer wasn't willing to turn on DRLs at no charge while they're doing everything else then I wouldn't be satisfied with their service.

I'm so annoyed by the satisfaction surveys. They always expect a perfect score, which makes the surveys meaningless. Instead of expecting perfect scores all the time, why not use them as an opportunity for customers to provide constructive feedback to help make service better? Nothing is perfect all the time, and the little things (like not leaving tool marks on a body panel) make a world of difference.

I use them as an opportunity to provide constructive feedback. Whenever I do surveys I make sure to comment where applicable to explain my ratings so that the data is meaningful.

All they care about is getting fives on the score cards.