boltonebob

Heater blower high pitched noise

Ford Fusion 2010 SE

I have had an issue for a while where if you turn the blower to 3 and the thermostat dial is on heat, then I get this high pitched noise kind of like a dog whistle or high pitched electrical frequency noise.

If I turn the blower down to 2, it goes away! Or if I turn the thermostat dial down to almost mid point it goes away. I believe the noise is still there at 4, but the noise of the blower drowns it out.

The high pitch noise makes it unbearable to be driving with the heater blowing on level 3.

I had the blower motor replaced today thinking that would fix the issue, but it did not! I'm now at a loss as to where the noise is coming from if it is not the blower?

Anyone have any ideas or experiencing the same issue?

Edited by boltonebob

I have had an issue for a while where if you turn the blower to 3 and the thermostat dial is on heat, then I get this high pitched noise kind of like a dog whistle or high pitched electrical frequency noise.

If I turn the blower down to 2, it goes away! Or if I turn the thermostat dial down to almost mid point it goes away. I believe the noise is still there at 4, but the noise of the blower drowns it out.

The high pitch noise makes it unbearable to be driving with the heater blowing on level 3.

I had the blower motor replaced today thinking that would fix the issue, but it did not! I'm now at a loss as to where the noise is coming from if it is not the blower?

My guess would be something in or near the blend door where the hot and cold air get blended together. Changing the heat level changes the blend door position.

We have the same problem. It sounds like a high pitch chirping sound. On our 2010 Fusion it happens when the heat is on and the fan is at the lowest setting. It does not occur all the time. Sometimes it happens just after we turn a corner other times on straight road. My wife can hear it from anywhere in the car. I cannot hear it unless I am next to the blower. Women tend to hear higher pitches than men sometimes. We have 6,000 miles left on the factory warranty, so I am getting an appointment with the dealer.

It seems to be an electrical frequency noise rather than anything else. There is little variation, it is a constant pitch and tone. Once you turn the blower to 3 the noise comes on and it does not vary. There is no chirping with mine. I have experienced before it not making the noise and once I turned a corner it started making it.

It is either occurring when you turn the blower to 3 and have heat on above a certain level, but does not occur if the heat is set below a certain level or i turn the blower down to 2. I've now found that if the car is turned off, then I turn the ignition on without starting the car, and try the fan at 3 with the heater setting set to heat, that it does not make the noise, but if I turn the dial to 4 it starts making the noise.

Having already had the blower swapped out, I'm thinking there must be something electrical making the sound maybe? The greater strain of power from the 3 setting on the blower and the strain of powering heat; producing an electrical noise/tone ???!?

I'm really hoping someone else has experienced this on this forum, as I really need some help with this one!

Edited by boltonebob

Get it to your dealer to check out. The blower motors are on backorder for a reason unfortunately. :rant:

Bring my 2010 sport to the dealer for this issue, they replaced the blower motor but did not fix the problème (was also back order at this time) They say that it was probably a problem with the heater box but they Want to make sure with the techline. Still waiting for news...

I've already had the blower motor replaced, which did not fix the issue like fontaine_erik. It was not on back order, I only had to wait a week. It actually sounds like fontaine_erik and I may have the same issue. Please let me know if you get the issue resolved at your dealership.

I have a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid and it has the same same high pitch whistle... it sounds like a dog whistle.

Seems to be electrical. They already replaced the blower motor which ofcourse didn't fix it. They then replaced the cabin filters and told me that replacing those fixed the noise. Which ofcourse it didn't.

Basically, when you put the defrost or heat power on more than 3 its horrible. the next to highest level is the worst.

Seems to get worse when the driver's side heated seat is on.

But it's steady. Doesn't fluctate. Constant and horribly annoying.

The Ford dealer here has had my car 4 or 5 separate times for this. Now I've had a loaner for 3 days and they still have no idea what that problem is.

After they replaced the blower motor and cabin filters I had the manager and the tech sit in it, they said...O that noise...that's not the blower.

They never even bothered to listen for the noise... as soon as I mentioned it was a heating/defrosting issue they just replaced the blower and hoped for the best.

I'm very frustrated.

Anyone that can help with this, your input are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

Edited by JenniferKuczwaj

I wonder if the high-pitched sound is being caused by the shape of an air duct or some kind of small obstruction in the duct? Think of a wind instrument...pipe organ pipe, flute, clarinet, etc...the faster the air is moving, the louder the note will be. Depending on where the outlet, obstruction(s), or hole(s) are will "shape" the sound into a certain pitch/note. If my hypothesis is correct, this problem may not be solved with anything short of an HVAC redesign.

FWIW, I've heard this same high-pitch on other vehicles I've driven...never really thought much about it because I attributed it to fast-moving air. And since I don't make a habit of driving with the fan on that high, I don't find the sound to be that troubling (coming from a guy who seems to be annoyed with any other minute creaks, clicks, or squeaks).

Edited by dabige

So! I finally got my heater box changed and no pitched noise anymore (but they broke the two pillard trim :( when removing the dash) and after pick up the car my wife send me to the drugstore and when i come back in the car it s just won't start (engine cracking) put the key back to off and start at first attempt weird!

I know this is an old topic but I have a 2010 Mercury Milan Premier and I have similar issues with my fan motor making a squeaking noise like it needs oiled or the bearings are bad and if I turn the air on the airbox sounds like it has debris in it or something... Only does it with air not heat or just venting. I have not taken it in for service as I fear the same reason the gentleman before me posted, dealerships are hard on dashboards when dissassembling and re-assembling.. I know the fan motor is behind the glove compartment and perhaps I can oil the motor myself but I don't know what to do with the other noise in the airbox area.

Edited by James Wiggin

I wonder if the high-pitched sound is being caused by the shape of an air duct or some kind of small obstruction in the duct? Think of a wind instrument...pipe organ pipe, flute, clarinet, etc...the faster the air is moving, the louder the note will be. Depending on where the outlet, obstruction(s), or hole(s) are will "shape" the sound into a certain pitch/note. If my hypothesis is correct, this problem may not be solved with anything short of an HVAC redesign.

FWIW, I've heard this same high-pitch on other vehicles I've driven...never really thought much about it because I attributed it to fast-moving air. And since I don't make a habit of driving with the fan on that high, I don't find the sound to be that troubling (coming from a guy who seems to be annoyed with any other minute creaks, clicks, or squeaks).

BINGO!

I came to the same conclusion with my 2009 Mazda 6.

Same annoying tone from the air system when the fan was above 75% speed.

I play around with the saxophone and it was one of those 'Ah Ha' moments. So that's my problem. A misaligned duct system that is creating a vibrating tone at and above a certain air speed.

So I left it alone. I too dread the thoughts of anyone doing a re&re on my whole dash system.