escapingwinter

2010 Fusion Hybrid. Battery problems?

Go to a service station or auto parts store who will usually test your battery for free. Don't test it with the car "on" because it doesn't have a conventional alternator. Because these batteries never have high engine starting loads they can deteriorate significantly before it's noticed. In what manner did the car not start? What were the displays? Did you turn the key far enough to get the "green car"? The FFH has a battery system that prevents accessories from draining the battery. There is a small residual drain from some electronics that should not drain the battery in less than a month of idleness. That being said, there has been reported a number of premature battery failures. I think it's probably under warranty.

Just an update to my original post. Battery is being replaced as it was "faulty". Heres hoping the replacement battery lasts a lot longer than this one did ^_^

There appears to have been an unusual number of early 12 vdc battery failures. Many vehicles were delivered with "red" eyes. Most recovered with use. The dealers have said "drive it". Mine turned to green in about a week. The most this battery puts out is tens of amps, not hundreds as is the case with non-hybrids that use it for the starting motor. I don't know if they get sulfated sitting in Mexico or on lots. If your vehicle has been in use several weeks and the eye is not "green", I would request it be replaced under warranty.

Yes I know it's probably in the manual, but do you jump start the car with jumper cables like a normal car battery?

Instructions are on pages 250-254 of your OM. You jump start it the same as any car except for one item I've never seen before. You are to turn on the heater fan in both cars to prevent electrical surges.. If the battery is disconnected there is acomputer relearning procedure that is needed after reconnecting the battery. I've never had mine jumped but did have the battery replaced. .

Our Gov Vehicle sits for about a week without being driven; when we go to start it the battery is completely dead every time. Nothing is left on and the battery was replaced a few months ago. When the car was taken into the shop they said it was fine. They replaced the battery to see if that would help. NO HELP! Even odder yet is the fact that after it is jumped the battery says it has 3/4th power. We drive it for a few miles turn it off and once again need a jump. Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be and how to fix it. I PLEASE Help

What kind of vehicle is this? What is "the shop"?

What's a "GOV Vehicle"? Government-owned? In any case, your problem sure gives me some pause about the FFH, which I'm weighing against the Camry hybrid as our next sedan.

If you go to a Camry Hybrid forum you'll find discussions about their 12V batteries dying too.

The O.P. has not responded to the question about type of vehicle and "shop" and has only one post.

When you open the door there are no lights and the dash is completely blank, right? When you say your battery has 3/4 power you mean the HVB display? That is a different battery. The 12v system must come on to power the computer in order to enable the high voltage system.

Two things need to be done. First the 12v battery needs to be completely charged. It isn't like the 12v on a normal car as it is (or should be) a deep cycle battery and doesn't receive a heavy drain at start. It needs a long drive (several hours) or a charger put on it to charge it completely.

Second the dealer needs to do a load test when the car is off. It is possible that there is a load draining the 12v. The most common is a phone charger. The 12v sockets stay live in the FFH (which I LOVE) but some chargers are crap and they have a pretty good draw even when nothing is connected to them.

Jon

Our Gov Vehicle sits for about a week without being driven; when we go to start it the battery is completely dead every time. Nothing is left on and the battery was replaced a few months ago. When the car was taken into the shop they said it was fine. They replaced the battery to see if that would help. NO HELP! Even odder yet is the fact that after it is jumped the battery says it has 3/4th power. We drive it for a few miles turn it off and once again need a jump. Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be and how to fix it. I PLEASE Help

I think this O.P. went away. There was only this one post.