Sign in to follow this  
Zacher

Battery Technology

So I have a lot of people asking me the question of, how are the batteries handling the cold? I know the south US is in a Deep Freeze, but nothing compared to here in the Canadian Prairies this week. Past to days temps have been -35C to -30C (today -45C with WindChill). So far Batts have acted normally, the car drvies in Hybrid Drive, and of course it's too cold for EV mode since the ICE just cools off to quickly.

Anyways wondering what you've all heard about these batteries, the technology and how they react to the cold. So far I'm impressed... no issues.

Edited by Zacher

They handle the cold quite well. They don't stay cold very long though once they start to cycle. Heat OTOH will kill them, so make sure you keep the vents clear and dont pile stuff on them in the trunk that can trap heat.

I am most interested to hear about your experiences with the cold. I live in Ottawa and have just taken delivery of a FFH, so far I am very impressed and the car runs better than my last car, a Buick. Now the prairies tend to be somewhat colder than here in Ottawa but we do tend to get bursts of -30 etc. Do you have any experience of not driving the car for a couple of weeks or a month and the effect on the batteries? Ford is not too helpful in this regard and the Dealerships seem to be worse.

Regards,

Nigel

It is extremely important to read the Owners Guide from cover to cover several times! Also read the Hybrid Quick Reference Guide. The OG on page 279 says to run the car for 10 minutes every 30 days to charge the High Voltage Battery (HVB). Only the ICE and regenerative braking will charge the HVB. The 10 minutes is not long enough to keep the low voltage battery (LVB) charged which may need additional charging after 60 days. You can charge the HVB to near full ("H") by pressing on the accelerator pedal about 1/3 and holding it there while in "P". The ICE will start and charge the HVB to full. Once the HVB is full, you can disconnect the LVB negative terminal and the storage time is rumored to be near a year. This is not an approved procedure. If the HVB gets discharged you are in deep do-do because the ICE won't start and you'll need a tow to the dealer for an HVB charge. Discharging the HVB fully will likely damage it also. When operated normally, the car will never let you discharge the HVB dangerously low. You should have a block heater in Canada (OG pg. 209-210). The ICE will run much more in cold weather to keep itself and you warm. Keeping it in a heated garage is best. Mpg will decrease dramatically in cold weather like all vehicles. If you can't heat it, it runs fine.....just uses more gas.

Edited by lolder

Charging the HVB and then disconnecting the LVB cable is in fact the recommended long-term storage procedure. The HVB is expected to maintain an adequate charge after 4 weeks in cold weather with a standard (1/2) charge. Anything longer than that and you should make sure you have more charge when stored. I have parked the car for 4 weeks in a garage and experienced virtually no loss in HVB charge when I returned.

Jon

It is extremely important to read the Owners Guide from cover to cover several times! Also read the Hybrid Quick Reference Guide. The OG on page 279 says to run the car for 10 minutes every 30 days to charge the High Voltage Battery (HVB). Only the ICE and regenerative braking will charge the HVB. The 10 minutes is not long enough to keep the low voltage battery (LVB) charged which may need additional charging after 60 days. You can charge the HVB to near full ("H") by pressing on the accelerator pedal about 1/3 and holding it there while in "P". The ICE will start and charge the HVB to full. Once the HVB is full, you can disconnect the LVB negative terminal and the storage time is rumored to be near a year. This is not an approved procedure. If the HVB gets discharged you are in deep do-do because the ICE won't start and you'll need a tow to the dealer for an HVB charge. Discharging the HVB fully will likely damage it also. When operated normally, the car will never let you discharge the HVB dangerously low. You should have a block heater in Canada (OG pg. 209-210). The ICE will run much more in cold weather to keep itself and you warm. Keeping it in a heated garage is best. Mpg will decrease dramatically in cold weather like all vehicles. If you can't heat it, it runs fine.....just uses more gas.

Charging the HVB and then disconnecting the LVB cable is in fact the recommended long-term storage procedure. The HVB is expected to maintain an adequate charge after 4 weeks in cold weather with a standard (1/2) charge. Anything longer than that and you should make sure you have more charge when stored. I have parked the car for 4 weeks in a garage and experienced virtually no loss in HVB charge when I returned.

Jon

I couldn't find the long-term procedure but I knew I read it. Where is it?

Page 279 of the 2010 Fusion Hybrid (hfv) Owners Guide 1st Printing.

"Low and high voltage battery – storage

Your vehicle must be started and run for a minimum of 10 minutes once

a month in order to maintain the high voltage battery charge. This will

maintain the high voltage battery but it is not enough to maintain the

low voltage (underhood) battery and additional low voltage (underhood)

battery charging may be required after 60 days.

If your vehicle is to be stored for 30 days or longer, the low voltage

(underhood) battery negative terminal must be disconnected. Failure to

do this could damage your vehicle’s batteries."

I couldn't find the long-term procedure but I knew I read it. Where is it?

Page 279 of the 2010 Fusion Hybrid (hfv) Owners Guide 1st Printing.

"Low and high voltage battery – storage

Your vehicle must be started and run for a minimum of 10 minutes once

a month in order to maintain the high voltage battery charge. This will

maintain the high voltage battery but it is not enough to maintain the

low voltage (underhood) battery and additional low voltage (underhood)

battery charging may be required after 60 days.

If your vehicle is to be stored for 30 days or longer, the low voltage

(underhood) battery negative terminal must be disconnected. Failure to

do this could damage your vehicle’s batteries."

Yes, I see that but where did I read about charging the HVB to "H" by holding the accelerator to about 1/3 with your foot to keep the ICE running?

I think it is in the service manual. My guess is that Ford would prefer you drive the car if possible.

Jon

Yes, I see that but where did I read about charging the HVB to "H" by holding the accelerator to about 1/3 with your foot to keep the ICE running?

I think it is in the service manual. My guess is that Ford would prefer you drive the car if possible.

Jon

Agreed. Sitting is not good for this kind of stuff.