Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Need Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   OntarioDan

OntarioDan

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2010

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:58 PM

Hello everyone

I'm new to the forum. Here is my question:

I own a 2010 FFH. Bought it new. It now has 169 000 Km and recently the hybrid system started acting funny. 

2 things:

a- Cannot drive on electric motor only below 45 mph(73 Kh/h) 

b- From a stop, the combustion engine starts as soon as I take myfoot off the brake pedal (instantaneously)

Went to the dealer to try to have it fixed but they can't do anything since no codes are showing up (from OBD). They have no clue what to do!

Otherwise the car is working fine other than the fuel economy has taken a hit.

Hope somebody can help cause not even Ford Canada was able to provide any solution.

Thanks

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 ONLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,464 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:46 PM

Sounds like the HVB no longer has enough capacity to move the car.  The engine is started by the HVB so it uses what it has left to start the engine.  Will it move in reverse?  It is not possible for the engine to move the car in reverse although it may start to provide the current to turn the electric motor.

Ask them to perform diagnostics on the HVB.  I hope they will do that without a code to point them in that direction.  Hybrid dealers are not required to be electric certified.  They may not have anyone that understands how the car works.

I assume it is really cold in Ontario.  Do you have or know anyone that has a heated garage?  It would be interesting to see if things change if the battery can be brought to 70° F.  Cold reduces the capacity of a battery.

#3 OFFLINE   OntarioDan

OntarioDan

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:56 PM

Hi there Murphy, thanks for the reply

The engine starts when I go in to reverse. My HVB can easily make it to full and even then I can't drive on electric alone.

And you are right, they don't have anyone that understand how the car works! 

It is pretty cold right now in Ontario but this issue kinda started all of a sudden. If it was indeed the HVB, wouldn't it have gradually krept in?

#4 ONLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,464 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:02 PM

Do they sell the Energi or the Focus Electric?  If they do then they are required to be electric certified.  Otherwise they are not required.  It is a different car.  It does not have a starter motor or an alternator.  One of the high voltage motors starts the engine and a DC to DC converter generates 12 volts from the HVB. 

I bought a 2010 in April of 2009.  It's possible for a 2010 to be almost 9 years old.

If they don't understand the car they have to call the hot line and ask for help.  That's a tough way to diagnose a problem.

Are there any other dealers around that might be electric certified?  They would be more likely to be able to diagnose the problem.  The HVB is working because without it the engine can't be started.

#5 OFFLINE   OntarioDan

OntarioDan

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:12 PM

The dealership is certified for sure. They have one technician that can work on hybrid but I guess he simply isn't experiences enough. I have called other dealerships in the area and they just don't have a clue. That's why I'm trying this forum. Maybe one of you guys have heard or had the same issue.

Thanks

#6 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 663 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:08 PM

The HVB is working because without it the engine can't be started.

HVB might have enough capacity to start the ICE but not enough capacity to power the car.

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·