Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

How to Drive a FORD Fusion Hybrid to get Great Gas Mileage

MPGs FE gas mileage

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 630 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SEL
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:37 PM

Today I took off wheel covers and rear fender covers so I could check tire pressure and spray off car and wheels. Tires where 50 psi on cool side of car, Great, and 52 psi on hot side of car, what I would expect. smile.png  I did some running around for about 20 miles including spray off car at car wash. I could actually tell a difference in gas mileage to the tune of 1 1/2 to 2 mpg with covers off. I'm cleaning them off and reattaching and will see if my mpg's bounce back.  headscratch.gif

Paul

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 630 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:09 AM

I put the wheel and fender covers back on and got my mileage back! YA smile.png  It looks like it's worth 2 mpg. smile.png

Paul 

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

#23 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 630 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:49 PM

I think it's a good time to explain how to improve the efficiency/MPG's of CMAX/Fusion Hybrids again..

1. All the energy to move the car comes from burning gasoline in the ICE, so to start with the more efficient the ICE is, the better the gas mileage is going to be.

2. From FORD we know that the approx. operating temperature range of the ICE is 202*F to 212*F, I typically run between 215*F to 230*F with no negative effects. My last oil change I got my best BlackStone Lab numbers with 153k miles. smile.png

3. The CMAX/Fusion Hybrid being unable to get up to operating temps is the main cause of poor MPG's especially in City and cold weather driving. sad.png This is why Grill Covers are so important to Gas Mileage, getting the WT to come up faster staying  above 202*F and should be standard on all CMAX/Fusion Hybrid vehicles. IMO     Also Grill Covers improve HWY MPG's up to 2 mpg by cutting down aerodynamic drag

4. From our 4.5 yrs of testing, 2 Bars acceleration seems to get the best gas mileage so use it whenever possible. smile.png And again the procedure is accelerating at 2 Bars to 5 mph over desired speed and then let off the accelerator so ICE will shut off and EV Mode will engage. Then try to maintain speed in EV until ICE kicks in again and repeat by accelerate at 2 Bars to 5 mph over speed limit.  shift.gif

BTW  I'm upto 361 views on my YouTube videos. smile.png

Paul

163299.png 600 Club

#24 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 706 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:11 AM

Or, alternatively, you can forget about all of the above and think of two words -- Drive gently. Much less complicated.
  • Texasota likes this

244968.png

#25 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 631 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:53 AM

I think it's fine for those who want to do whatever is required to see how high they can get their gas mileage. However, I choose not to do that or even think much about it. Instead, I just drive the car the way I want and let the great engineering in the car deliver great gas mileage. My last full tank, both suburban and freeway, some with AC on, got 47 mpg measured (49 displayed). In hotter (more AC) or colder weather, or in rain, I get less mpg. It's all fine with me :-)

Edited by mwr, 04 May 2017 - 07:58 AM.

• Texasota and ceilidhdog like this

#26 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 941 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:23 AM

If Ford engineers thought grill covers were beneficial to the car's operation and longevity, then they would have incorporated that concept into the design of the FFH. But, they didn't do that which tells me that there are important reasons they did not do so.

#27 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 630 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:59 AM

Or, alternatively, you can forget about all of the above and think of two words -- Drive gently. Much less complicated.

This thread is about driving your Hybrid as efficiently as possible, not driving slow.  BTW this isn't complicated, it becomes normal driving after after a while and I have gotten 68 mpg on a tank a couple times using these techniques so it works. :)

If Ford engineers thought grill covers were beneficial to the car's operation and longevity, then they would have incorporated that concept into the design of the FFH. But, they didn't do that which tells me that there are important reasons they did not do so.

I'm sure the FORD Engineers saw my Posts 4.5 yrs ago and looked at it, but got shot down by the bean counters.  FORD hasn't really done anything to improve the Hybrid System since the cars were first built in 2012. ;(

Paul

163299.png 600 Club

#28 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 706 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

This thread is about driving your Hybrid as efficiently as possible, not driving slow.  BTW this isn't complicated, it becomes normal driving after after a while and I have gotten 68 mpg on a tank a couple times using these techniques so it works. :)

Where did I say anything about driving slow? I never hold up traffic. I'm usually somewhere between the speed limit and +5. Gently does not equate to slow. I just don't think it's necessary to focus on techniques so much. Early on, I played around with different driving techniques, but found it much more relaxing to just drive it - gently. I find I have much more awareness and a greater sense of security, too.
  • Timewellspent likes this

244968.png

#29 OFFLINE   bdginmo

bdginmo

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 50 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Fusion Energi

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:41 PM

I hear what you're saying, but I can see reasons why grill covers like what ptjones has haven't been included. However, keep in mind that active grill shutters are included. I just don't think they're as effective as they could be. Just this morning I drove 30 miles to work in mid 40's weather and my ICE never got above 165F. Though, to be fair, I have the Energi and I was running pure EV about 10 of those miles, but still...

• ptjones likes this
377260.png

#30 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:12 PM

Yes, they did.  Every Fusion comes with active grill shutters which are exactly the same thing as grill covers, they just aren't as efficient because they are designed to open to support all conditions.  There are plenty of conditions in which Ford engineers would have preferred to use pure grill covers, but they do have to protect for the extreme conditions.

• ptjones likes this

#31 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:22 AM

Where did I say anything about driving slow? I never hold up traffic. I'm usually somewhere between the speed limit and +5. Gently does not equate to slow. I just don't think it's necessary to focus on techniques so much. Early on, I played around with different driving techniques, but found it much more relaxing to just drive it - gently. I find I have much more awareness and a greater sense of security, too.

Interesting looking at your fuelly for the last several fill ups you are averaging only 32-33mph which I would equate to driving slow. :)  If you had been using My EV to 15mph/accelerate at 2 Bars, your MPG's would have gone up 2-3mpg and your average speed would have gone up too! :yahoo:   Think of all the time you would have saved. :) BTW I averaged 33.9 mph on my 68 mpg tank traveling 931mi. :shift:  :)

Paul 

Edited by ptjones, 05 May 2017 - 11:10 AM.

163299.png 600 Club

#32 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 706 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:52 PM

No technique is going to increase my fuel efficiency by 2-3 mpg. I drive in a lot of stop and go traffic, but do have significant intervals at highway speeds. Btw, looking at my timer isn't an accurate way to determine my average speed... Because it's 0 when I'm not moving...

At some point I'll have to post about a factor that did cause my mpg to drop by 10% - tires.

244968.png

#33 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 630 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:45 AM

No technique is going to increase my fuel efficiency by 2-3 mpg. I drive in a lot of stop and go traffic, but do have significant intervals at highway speeds. Btw, looking at my timer isn't an accurate way to determine my average speed... Because it's 0 when I'm not moving...

At some point I'll have to post about a factor that did cause my mpg to drop by 10% - tires.

Stop and go traffic is the same as City driving and I was comparing your timer to my timer. My record run was primarily 55 mph and slower driving through city's over 4 days which is a lot of stopping.  HWY driving is 50 mph or faster and not by what kind of road you are on. :)  On my highway tanks I'm averaging mid 40's to mid 60's using the timer.  :)

Paul  

Edited by ptjones, 06 May 2017 - 10:03 AM.

163299.png 600 Club

#34 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 941 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:19 PM

Yes, they did.  Every Fusion comes with active grill shutters which are exactly the same thing as grill covers, they just aren't as efficient because they are designed to open to support all conditions.  There are plenty of conditions in which Ford engineers would have preferred to use pure grill covers, but they do have to protect for the extreme conditions.

Most everything I have read about grill shutters indicates that they were designed to open and closed automatically to reduce aerodynamic drag (primarily at highway speeds) while still allowing for proper cooling. Ford's marketing described them this way. I think I remember posts from you, Waldo, stating that their primary purpose is to provide improved aerodynamics.

#35 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:59 AM

Most everything I have read about grill shutters indicates that they were designed to open and closed automatically to reduce aerodynamic drag (primarily at highway speeds) while still allowing for proper cooling. Ford's marketing described them this way. I think I remember posts from you, Waldo, stating that their primary purpose is to provide improved aerodynamics.

That's true.  But you could get even better aerodynamics with a complete grill blocking, in fact that's how they run the early models in the wind tunnels.  My point is that because of the constraints of requiring them to open occasionally, they aren't as efficient at improving the aerodynamics as they could be.

#36 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 941 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:13 PM

That's true.  But you could get even better aerodynamics with a complete grill blocking, in fact that's how they run the early models in the wind tunnels.  My point is that because of the constraints of requiring them to open occasionally, they aren't as efficient at improving the aerodynamics as they could be.

Seems like there are two different reasons being argued (and introducing confusion) when advocating for grill blocking/covers or grill shutters:

1. PT, HybridBear (in the past) and others have advocated grill blocking to increase the water temperature of the ICE. HybridBear's focus was on using them in the winter to reduce the time required for the ICE to reach operating temperature. PT advocates using them year round including during summer operation to induce higher operating temperatures for the ICE.

2. Ford's marketing, numerous online articles, and posts by you point out the aerodynamic benefits that are achieved with grill shutters (and grill blocking as you indicated above) which is the reason they were designed and incorporated into many cars from multiple manufactures.

I'm not aware of any any Ford literature or other technical articles articles describing increased ICE operating temperature as a benefit or reason for the design/deployment of grill shutters into late model cars. If that was a goal, then it would likely be better achieved with less cost by changing the thermostat operation.

#37 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:31 PM

I'm not aware of any any Ford literature or other technical articles articles describing increased ICE operating temperature as a benefit or reason for the design/deployment of grill shutters into late model cars. If that was a goal, then it would likely be better achieved with less cost by changing the thermostat operation.

Changing the thermostat would not produce the same effect.  The airflow coming into the engine compartment will slow down the heating of the engine the same way no matter what the thermostat is set to up until the point that it opens.

#38 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 706 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:29 PM

I'm no engineer, but the aerodynamics explanation just doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure there's more to it, but redirecting the air after it passes through the grill seems counterintuitive. Seems like there'd still be a lot of turbulence created. If they really wanted to smooth things out, one might think they'd turn the actual grill into shutters.

244968.png

#39 OFFLINE   bdginmo

bdginmo

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 50 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Fusion Energi

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:49 PM

They're right in front of the radiator. Aerodynamics is probably part of it, but it's hard to deny that control of the ICE temperature is another.

377260.png

#40 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:04 AM

I'm no engineer, but the aerodynamics explanation just doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure there's more to it, but redirecting the air after it passes through the grill seems counterintuitive. Seems like there'd still be a lot of turbulence created. If they really wanted to smooth things out, one might think they'd turn the actual grill into shutters.

That's my point, it would be better if it was the actual grill.  But with the shutters the air basically forms a high pressure block of stagnant air in front of the shutter so that the incoming air is redirected around the grill.  Think of it like a lake, the water flows into a lake, then it flows out on the other side but the water at the bottom of the lake doesn't really move.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MPGs, FE, gas mileage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·