ptjones

How to Drive a FORD Fusion Hybrid to get Great Gas Mileage

If Ford engineers thought grill covers were beneficial to the car's operation and longevity, then they would have incorporated that concept into the design of the FFH. But, they didn't do that which tells me that there are important reasons they did not do so.

This thread is about driving your Hybrid as efficiently as possible, not driving slow. BTW this isn't complicated, it becomes normal driving after after a while and I have gotten 68 mpg on a tank a couple times using these techniques so it works. :)

Where did I say anything about driving slow? I never hold up traffic. I'm usually somewhere between the speed limit and +5. Gently does not equate to slow. I just don't think it's necessary to focus on techniques so much. Early on, I played around with different driving techniques, but found it much more relaxing to just drive it - gently. I find I have much more awareness and a greater sense of security, too.

No technique is going to increase my fuel efficiency by 2-3 mpg. I drive in a lot of stop and go traffic, but do have significant intervals at highway speeds. Btw, looking at my timer isn't an accurate way to determine my average speed... Because it's 0 when I'm not moving...

At some point I'll have to post about a factor that did cause my mpg to drop by 10% - tires.

Yes, they did. Every Fusion comes with active grill shutters which are exactly the same thing as grill covers, they just aren't as efficient because they are designed to open to support all conditions. There are plenty of conditions in which Ford engineers would have preferred to use pure grill covers, but they do have to protect for the extreme conditions.

Most everything I have read about grill shutters indicates that they were designed to open and closed automatically to reduce aerodynamic drag (primarily at highway speeds) while still allowing for proper cooling. Ford's marketing described them this way. I think I remember posts from you, Waldo, stating that their primary purpose is to provide improved aerodynamics.

That's true. But you could get even better aerodynamics with a complete grill blocking, in fact that's how they run the early models in the wind tunnels. My point is that because of the constraints of requiring them to open occasionally, they aren't as efficient at improving the aerodynamics as they could be.

Seems like there are two different reasons being argued (and introducing confusion) when advocating for grill blocking/covers or grill shutters:

1. PT, HybridBear (in the past) and others have advocated grill blocking to increase the water temperature of the ICE. HybridBear's focus was on using them in the winter to reduce the time required for the ICE to reach operating temperature. PT advocates using them year round including during summer operation to induce higher operating temperatures for the ICE.

2. Ford's marketing, numerous online articles, and posts by you point out the aerodynamic benefits that are achieved with grill shutters (and grill blocking as you indicated above) which is the reason they were designed and incorporated into many cars from multiple manufactures.

I'm not aware of any any Ford literature or other technical articles articles describing increased ICE operating temperature as a benefit or reason for the design/deployment of grill shutters into late model cars. If that was a goal, then it would likely be better achieved with less cost by changing the thermostat operation.

I'm no engineer, but the aerodynamics explanation just doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure there's more to it, but redirecting the air after it passes through the grill seems counterintuitive. Seems like there'd still be a lot of turbulence created. If they really wanted to smooth things out, one might think they'd turn the actual grill into shutters.

That's my point, it would be better if it was the actual grill. But with the shutters the air basically forms a high pressure block of stagnant air in front of the shutter so that the incoming air is redirected around the grill. Think of it like a lake, the water flows into a lake, then it flows out on the other side but the water at the bottom of the lake doesn't really move.

That seems like a good analogy!

Changing the thermostat would not produce the same effect. The airflow coming into the engine compartment will slow down the heating of the engine the same way no matter what the thermostat is set to up until the point that it opens.

That makes sense and I see your point (the grill shutters, when closed, shorten the amount of time for the ICE to reach operating temperature). I can see how that would be beneficial on short city trips in cold temperatures. However, on a longer road trip I would think the quicker warmup time becomes negligible to the point where it would have almost no effect on overall MPG but the aerodynamic effect does provide a positive effect on MPG.