smr2112

Some Advice About Recall 15S14 - Steering Gear Motor Bolt Corrosion

Just some advise to others who may have this recall done to replace steering gear bolts. I just got a postcard from

Ford on this the same day it was done last week. I am told, like many recalls, you may not actually have issues, but Ford will

requires to do this if you *might* be affected.

Had this recall, door latches recall and also had the TSB for eCVT transmission leak (anybody else with a 2013 have this?).

Dealer had my car for a week while they waited for a part (seal). I had an Enterprise loaner and didn't mind too much

as it was over Thanksgiving. All warranty coverage.

But...when I got the car back and was told they drove it several times, I noticed no issues with transmission. But steering felt

slightly off and steering wheel was noticeably off center, slight pull (really annoys me!). I swear alignment *felt*/seemed fine before I took

it in. So I called dealership and service insisted that steering gear bolts would not in any way affect alignment. Took it in and alignment

was *way* off they told me - but just front - rear was exactly in spec. I ask if it was so far out, why didn't you notice and say something

when you test drove it after repair? You should have been checking to see steering felt/was fine. Nope the service guy says, if your

steering was off it's my job to bring it to their attention. There is where Ford gets a "1" on the survey question that says "Ford has

my best interest and safety in mind when performing service"...

OK, got it aligned today, had to pay $80 - only charged for front-wheel alignment. It's 100% dead on right now, all is fine, no problems

with transmissions either. I say the steering gear bolt repair was related, but can't prove anything.

But if you are taking it in for the steering gear bolt recall, check your alignment before it goes in. Ask dealer to check before the repair

(should be free to check). I have no idea if they did anything wrong really, but more irked I had to take it back.

Strange. I had this recall done a few weeks ago. They did not test drive the car after the bolt replacement and I have had no alignment issue.

Same here. No issues after my dealer took care of the steering bolt issue.

One of the items in the transmission leak TSB is a an alignment. I don't have the invoice here but you can check the TSB work order. Ford pays for the alignment as the front end has to be disassembled and reassembled.

Thanks guys, I am headed back to the dealership with the TSB 14-0085 in hand. I keep thinking it was the steering gear bolts that was the issue,

which it still might be, but the transmission leak now seems more likely.

I don't care too much about the $80 or so for alignment, but more principal. I totally trust the mechanics at this place, but the

service people don't go to bat and rather blame me for the issue. I have another dealership further away that I never have

issues with.

What would I do without all of your collective knowledge? :worship:

Just got off the phone with head Service Manager, and he said "Yep, we screwed up and your service rep should have at least ask me about it".

So will be getting my money back without issue. He went and yelled at guy who took my service order for the alignment, "it's just bad business"

he said - he was there on Saturday and should have at least went and ask somebody more technical, but instead wanted to fight with me.

So thanks guys! Forums saves the day again....

This was Springfield Ford in PA BTW, who I otherwise like, but hate the service writers and the service manager knows there are issues with

them.