Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Why is the undercarriage made from cardboard!?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jmagg73

Jmagg73

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 20 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:29 PM

I have a 2013 FFH with 58k miles on it, and lately a rattle I've noticed only at high speeds (65mph +) has been getting worse. I look underneath the car and see 2 huge holes in the undercarriage. I guess the wind shoots up into the holes and vibrates the cardboard. I tapped it to see if it was loose and to make sure it was my noise problem. It was, but I notice it was also very flimsy and felt like hard cardboard shipping material.

How can this possibly be!? I'm no engineer, but I know what rain, gravel, and salt can do over time.

I took two pictures... First was a friends 2014 Fusion SE, and second was my 2013 Hybrid. (Notice the flap of paper-like material still dangling)

Soo pissed

Would this have a chance of being covered on my extended warranty?

Attached Files

192001.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   airbusguy

airbusguy

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 84 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:19 AM

I replaced a forward "pan" last year. Car was still under warranty. Pan wasn't. Figured it was rodent damage at the park we were staying at last winter. Not as bad as the guy with the Chevy Duramax 1 ton that had $2500 chewing done to his engine compartment wires. This year he has an electric fence mat underneath. He wants a critter cam for Christmas lol.

210489.png

#3 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:22 PM

It's not cardboard, it's a fibrous material designed to absorb sound.  You could just leave it off it you want to or check junkyards to see if they have a replacement.  I wouldn't expect it to be covered under warranty as it's obviously been damaged by some outside input.

• hybridbear likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 985 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:01 PM

I look underneath the car and see 2 huge holes in the undercarriage. I guess the wind shoots up into the holes and vibrates the cardboard. I tapped it to see if it was loose and to make sure it was my noise problem. It was, but I notice it was also very flimsy and felt like hard cardboard shipping material.

This is probably understood but just to make sure... This is not a structural part of the frame/uni-body. As Waldo said, for sound deadening and it may also play a role in reducing aerodynamic drag at highway speeds.

• hybridbear likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·