pdiehm

New Hybrid - First Hybrid

^^^

Exactly. This is not like an engine from a non-hybrid. It's designed and tuned for powering a hybrid system, so a fair amount of power is put into charging the battery, and you get some of that back in EV mode.

Still, you may be able to do better. Tell us more about your commute, style of driving, the terrain you normally drive in, ambient temperature, heating/cooling use, number of passengers, etc... All of these things affect fuel economy. Best advice is to drive gently. However, if your commute is mostly 65-70 mph highways, you might not be able to improve a whole lot, especially if you prefer to push it 5-10 mph over the posted limit like a lot of drivers do.

This hybrid system seems to perform optimally with slight hills, like I normally drive in central MD. When I travel to MD's eastern shore, where it's very flat, my MPGs drop. I think this is attributable to the additional regen captured on downhill sections. When the uphills are too steep, this benefit will be negated.

Btw, my wife also drives an FFH, and her MPGs are also well under mine... Go figure! ;)

This hybrid system seems to perform optimally with slight hills, like I normally drive in central MD. When I travel to MD's eastern shore, where it's very flat, my MPGs drop. I think this is attributable to the additional regen captured on downhill sections. When the uphills are too steep, this benefit will be negated.

Btw, my wife also drives an FFH, and her MPGs are also well under mine... Go figure! ;)

Hypermiling is not important to most women. There are many tales from hybrid forums about how long it takes for the male driver to get the average mpg back up to normal after their significant other drove the car for a few days. My wife gets 5 mpg less than me. She's on and off the throttle continuously which makes it hard for the system to stabilize at the most efficient operating point.

Watch how the cruise control accelerates when you "resume" a speed. That's about what you should do. Brake early and slowly. Look at traffic lights as far ahead as you can and try to time your arrivals to "green". One poster on another FFH forum has the user name "Rightlanecruiser". Most people can adapt their driving styles. At the cost of just a few minutes more trip time, blood pressure and stress can be dramatically lowered. While parked, read all the manuals twice. You can drive the car in any manner and it will be okay. It takes some time for you to do a better job of fuel economy than the computers in the car. Don't get absorbed in the "video game" instrument panel while you're driving.