Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

NADA Chairman's view of Tesla sales

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:13 PM

“The advantages of the dealer franchise system are numerous,” explained Bill Fox, chairman of the National Automobile Dealers Association.

“The first and foremost one is, we’re the face of the manufacturer in every small town in America,” said Fox. “We’re the guy that hires the local people, we pay for the cars, we support the local economy.”  According to Fox, dealerships collected a whopping 15 percent of all the sales taxes in the U.S. last year.

Cut and paste this to your Browser:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/10/tesla-direct-sales-are-an-inconvenience-nada-chairman.html?utm_medium=display&utm_source=relatedscout&utm_content=title4

Edited by GrySql, 11 October 2015 - 09:22 PM.

• corncobs likes this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:57 AM

No offense to the guys here but he is an old man.

I can't explain why it's inconvenient if after my car breaks down, it's being picked up and I'm left with a loaner car. In my book that's the ultimate convenience.
Compare to me being able to get my car in for service is a 1 hr process and my wife driving the second car.
  • hybridbear and Timewellspent like this
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#3 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:50 AM

The Tesla service model is one of the things that really sets them apart. That along with over-the-air software updates.

• corncobs likes this

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#4 OFFLINE   machoman1337

machoman1337

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 418 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:FFH SE Ice Storm/Lexus LS430

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:42 AM

I have no problem with the lack of a franchised dealer (Tesla's way), nor do I have a problem going to a traditional franchise. I've had good and bad experiences with dealers (the used-car-only dealers are the ones to avoid btw, I bought my first Fusion from one, huge mistake).

IMO it's just like how you can choose to buy your phone and service straight from a Rogers store, or you can buy the exact same stuff (including Rogers service) from Best Buy. Why not just encourage competition instead of whining? If the Tesla store is getting better business and reviews, it's because their staff are doing a good job. A franchised dealership can earn the same respect by having its staff do a good job. 

Besides, with prices of Teslas the way they currently are, it's not like your average Toyota or Ford dealership would have much to worry about. Plus, the lack of charging infrastructure in many parts of the continent continues to put off even well-heeled buyers, so luxury car dealerships are also relatively safe as well. In fact, many Tesla owners do own a more "traditional" second car for long trips!

• corncobs likes this

My precious: 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE Ice Storm - Luxury Package (Dune), Navigation, Tech Package, Active Park Assist, Moonroof (ugh), 18" premium painted luxury wheels. Built in July 2012, bought CPO (former demonstrator) in May 2014. 6.3L/100 km lifetime fuel economy

Current temporary ride: 2003 Lexus LS430 w/navigation and parking sensors. Bought in December 2002, selling when I graduate

#5 OFFLINE   talmy

talmy

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 132 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion SE Hybrid, 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:16 AM

NADA is obviously biased on this! The Tesla story reminds me of Apple. Apple used to only sell through dealers, but they didn't like the inconsistent customer experience. So they created their own network of stores with trained, salaried employees. There is a world of difference buying a computer at an Apple store than at, say, Best Buy (which still sell Apple computers). I expect the same would be true of a Tesla store versus a Ford dealer.

• hybridbear and corncobs like this

#6 OFFLINE   CCalvinN

CCalvinN

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 119 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FF HyTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:56 PM

I think with Tesla being a, more or less, boutique auto maker their system works fine for now.  Tesla sold about 35,000 Model Ss last year.  That's a drop in the bucket compared to Ford's nearly 2.5 million units sold.   At their size and growth curve, their current sales/service/delivery model should work fine.  But if they want to continue to grow and get anywhere NEAR the big three, they'll have to relinquish control.  I'm sure at the end of the day Tesla wants to be a car company and not a car sales company.  

As for NADA's complaints... well of course their biased.  They are an association and lobby group working for their current membership.  They don't like the idea of anything or anybody rocking their boat.  

346645.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·