Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

I was robbed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CCalvinN

CCalvinN

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 119 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FF HyTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:39 AM

So a few days ago I noticed something odd as I approached my car.  The visor was down.  I only rarely use the visor and never leave it 'down' so I knew something was off.  It seems someone had been in my car.  When I got to the door I noted that it wasn't fully closed, just enough to touch the body.  The visor was down, the center console was open, the glove box was open.  All of my 'stuff' was rifled through and sitting on the drivers seat.  Thankfully I don't keep many valuable things in the car and the only things missing were my iPod Touch and a wad of single dollar bills.  

There was no damage to the car inside or out, just my sense of security.  

I assume that I left the car unlocked the night before.  That's fairly odd for me, but again no damage to the car was done.  No indication of a slim jim being used to unlock the car, no scratches, no indication the panel was removed to access the door key slot.  The trunk (so far as I can tell) wasn't accessed.  No other cars in my driveway were accessed or damaged.  I park in a covered car port next to my garage that leaves the drivers side doors facing away from the house, anybody could walk up to the car and have full access to the drivers side without anybody in the house seeing it.  The only indication would be the lights turning on and flooding the driveway.  

There have been many reports in my locality of cars being broken into in a similar manner.  All of them unlocked, no damage done, things being stolen from inside.  

So again, I assume that I left the car unlocked.  

I guess I have a couple questions.  

1) Doesn't the alarm work if the car is unlocked?  The car has the IA keys and it seems like it would be easy enough to sound the alarm if the door was opened and a key wasn't in range.  

2) Is there any way for the locks to automatically engage?  Say 5 minutes after the car is off and not accessed?  I searched through the manual and checked the car's menus and didn't see any feature like that. 

3) Is there anyway to open a locked car without access to the keys.  I know both of the keys were in secured location and have no reason to suspect anybody that had access to them.  

I ask the last question as the thought of leaving the car but NOT locking it really bothers me.  It's complete habit to park the car, push the button to turn it off, gather up my things, exit the vehicle, close the door, and rub my hand across the door handle to lock it.  The mere possibility that I don't always do that is getting me more than a little paranoid and I've taken my fob to the window and 'locked' the car several times since this has happened just for peace of mind.  

Yes, an iPod and a few dollars of cash were taken from me, but the only thing I care about being stolen was my sense of security and peace of mind.   Any help anybody can provide and getting me those things back would be MOST appreciated. 

346645.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,529 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:48 PM

There is a relatively inexpensive piece of hardware that can be used to unlock your car.  The crook walks up to the car and touches the door handle.  The car transmits a who is there question.  Normally your fob is too far away (more than about 3 feet) to hear it and nothing happens.  The hardware receives the signal and re-transmits it at a much higher power than the car uses.  Your fob hears the signal and transmits the I am here response.  The key transmits at a high power (so you can lock and unlock from a distance) and the car hears it and validates the response and unlocks the car.  Wrap all of your fobs in two layers of aluminum foil or secure them in a metal box when at home or anywhere where you are within fob transmit range of the car.  They can't steal the car this way but can easily get in.  Also the button to the left of the steering column makes it trivial to open the trunk once inside.  The alarm is off when the car is unlocked.

Edited by murphy, 09 October 2015 - 04:32 AM.

• hybridbear, GrySql and corncobs like this

#3 OFFLINE   machoman1337

machoman1337

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 418 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:FFH SE Ice Storm/Lexus LS430
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:07 PM

It definitely would be nice to have the car auto-lock after a set period of time, and to have this as a programmable option. My dad's Lexus has this feature and it is quite useful. I can conform that the FFH does not have this feature :(

If the thief used this: http://jalopnik.com/...s-to-steal-carsthen I guess there is one advantage of having an "ancient" key system like on the SE :P 

But seriously, this sucks. I'm glad you weren't actually "robbed" - when I saw the title I thought you were actually confronted and had your FFH jacked! Not being a grammar nazi, just relieved that it was just a small theft. 

Edited by machoman1337, 08 October 2015 - 11:13 PM.

My precious: 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE Ice Storm - Luxury Package (Dune), Navigation, Tech Package, Active Park Assist, Moonroof (ugh), 18" premium painted luxury wheels. Built in July 2012, bought CPO (former demonstrator) in May 2014. 6.3L/100 km lifetime fuel economy

Current temporary ride: 2003 Lexus LS430 w/navigation and parking sensors. Bought in December 2002, selling when I graduate

#4 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,009 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:07 PM

The mere possibility that I don't always do that is getting me more than a little paranoid and I've taken my fob to the window and 'locked' the car several times since this has happened just for peace of mind. 

Same here. On multiple occasions I have done this from my hotel room window (even from the fourth floor) where I can see my FFH. It is reassuring to push the lock button on the fob and see him flash his lights.

There is a relatively inexpensive piece of hardware that can be used to unlock your car.  The crook walks up to the car and touches the door handle.  The car transmits a who is there question.  Normally your fob is too far away (more than about 3 feet) to hear it and nothing happens.  The hardware receives the signal and re-transmits it at a much higher power than the car uses.  Your fob hears the signal and transmits the I am here response.  The key transmits at a high power (so you can lock and unlock from a distance) and the car hears it and validates the response and unlocks the car.  Wrap all of your fobs in two layers of aluminum foil or secure them in a metal box when at home or anywhere where you are within fob transmit range of the car.  They can't steal the car this way but can easily get in.  Also the button to the left of the steering column makes it trivial to open the trunk once inside.  The alarm is off when the car is unlocked.

I have the simple basic fob for my FFH S (no door keypad).  Is my FFH also vulnerable to the technique you are describing here?

#5 OFFLINE   machoman1337

machoman1337

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 418 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:04 AM

I have the simple basic fob for my FFH S (no door keypad).  Is my FFH also vulnerable to the technique you are describing here?

I believe the vulnerability is only for intelligent access cars. Researchers have been able to unlock and even start a Mercedes S-class this way.

Yay for traditional key fobs... 

My precious: 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE Ice Storm - Luxury Package (Dune), Navigation, Tech Package, Active Park Assist, Moonroof (ugh), 18" premium painted luxury wheels. Built in July 2012, bought CPO (former demonstrator) in May 2014. 6.3L/100 km lifetime fuel economy

Current temporary ride: 2003 Lexus LS430 w/navigation and parking sensors. Bought in December 2002, selling when I graduate

#6 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:59 AM

Yay for traditional key fobs... 

MM, I think they are :hysterical3: 'old fashioned'...  ;)   

• SteveB_TX, Texasota and machoman1337 like this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#7 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,529 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:13 AM

Even old fashioned key and tumbler locks can be opened with a portable electric drill with a sharp bit.  Locks are to keep honest people honest.  A thief can always find a way to get in.

• hybridbear likes this

#8 OFFLINE   machoman1337

machoman1337

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 418 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:32 AM

MM, I think they are :hysterical3: 'old fashioned'...  ;)   

Yep, old fashioned tech has its advantages.

One time, I drove my dad's Lexus to pick him up from the train station. He took over and I boarded a train myself to go downtown. Unfortunately, I'd forgotten to pass him the smart key, so when he parked at the mall, he was unable to go home. 

Had an old fashioned key been used instead, this wouldn't have happened because it would've just stayed in the ignition when we swapped places. 

• hybridbear likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·