Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

HVB Drain from 45% to 0% While Parked During Workday?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,814 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:44 PM

It wasn't easy in my 2010 until I read the first responder document and learned how to do it.  It was very easy once I knew the procedure.

There are taps to move sideways in the top of the trunk and I don't know if I can see them. I've read that document also.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   DrDeke

DrDeke

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 30 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2012

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:43 PM

This problem is still unsolved, although the dealer wants me to bring the car in again soon to take another look at it.

One suggestion which has been brought up both here and by the dealer is the idea that this may be a measurement or display problem as opposed to an actual battery discharge. I rigged up a camera mount which allows me to drive the car while making a video recording of the dashboard, and I have used the rig to capture videos of me starting and driving the car on two different days on which the HVB drain problem happened. The behavior of the car and dashboard indicator during these drives is, I think, consistent with the theory that the battery has actually been run down, and inconsistent with the measurement/display glitch theory. I post them here for your amusement and in case anything shown in them gives any of you any ideas.

Video 1, 2/22/2016:

Video 2, 2/27/2016:

#23 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,486 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:23 AM

When the car is turned off the HVB is isolated when the contactors open.  Unless it is self discharging there is no way for it to discharge.  Have them check the contactors to see if the contacts have welded in the closed position.

#24 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:13 PM

Everything looks normal except the low HVB at start. The temperature bulb Icon switches back to white from green in both videos but that might be normal in cold temperatures. I left the car in accessory mode overnight once and discharged the LVB to dead and the HVB to an even lower point than yours. That was the emergency HVB shutoff point. I had to jump the LVB but then the car started normally from the low HVB and charged normally. I think you'll have to leave it at the dealer. Maybe you'll get a new HVB under warranty.

#25 OFFLINE   borland

borland

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 12 posts
  • Current Vehicle:FFH
  • My Hybrid's Year:2010

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:20 PM

Update to my post #2 of this thread,  my 2010 FFH hasn't experienced another similar HVB drain.  Only problem on this car that happened subsequent, was the 12V battery went dead and was replaced.  That was about 6 weeks after the HVB drain occurance.

#26 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,486 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 02 March 2016 - 02:00 PM

The contactors that activate the HVB are operated on 12 volts.  If the 12 volt battery got low enough that the cars logic went nuts (technical term) anything is possible.

#27 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:33 PM

If the HVB contacts are closed and it is powering the car, the DC to DC converter keeps charging the LVB and system. When the HVB gets to it's emergency low shutoff point, the contacts open. The LVB powers the 12 vdc system until it dies.

#28 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:00 AM

I have had the low HVB three times in the last two years. The car will now not go as fast in EV and the display of available EV power is not as high as it once was. I believe the events are a cell permanently shorting. This doesn't change the total energy capacity much but it would lower the voltage and maximum power output capability. I usually have had a reconditioning event every 8000 miles but I haven't seen one since this started. Maybe once a cell shorts it is inhibited. I don't know what this bodes for the future. HVBs can tolerate shorted cells but not open ones as all the cells are in series. There are 204 cells in series so if 3 are shorted that's about a 1.5% voltage loss. Available power is related to the square of the voltage so peak power loss would be 6%. EV operation needs higher voltage the faster you go because of "back EMF" (voltage) of the motor so the maximum speed may be inhibited even more than the 6%. 

Edited by lolder, 25 April 2018 - 08:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·