Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Wisconsin Winter- How will it drive?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hattbm

hattbm

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid SE Sedan Front-wheel Drive
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:46 PM

I am looking into buying a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE Sedan Front-wheel Drive. I am trading in a car that did not handle winter driving/snow well at all and I don't want to trade in for a car that I will have the same problem with. So my question is does anyone have any insight on how the Fusion Hybrids handle in snowy/icy weather?

Thank you!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:55 AM

Best advice I can give you ( besides buying an FFH ;) ) is to spend an extra grand and treat yourself to a set of winter tires.

The FFH handles like any other front wheel sedan but the tires make all the difference.
Once the tires have the right traction it's really hard to get this car into an unexpected slide.
  • hybridbear, GrySql and machoman1337 like this
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#3 OFFLINE   jeffo65

jeffo65

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 312 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid, 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:17 AM

We spend 2 weeks, ususally around New Years, in the Rhinelander area at our family's cabin.  The last 2 years we have taken our FFH up to the Rhinelander area for 2 weeks around New Years and have not had any issues with the winter roads.  It is a front wheel drive car that handles snowy roads fine.  It does have low clearance so you won't be driving in deep snow.  We still had the original Goodyear tires on at the time and it was fine.  Like corncobs states above about switching over to dedicated winter tires is always a plus.

• GrySql likes this
228095.png<p> 

#4 OFFLINE   hattbm

hattbm

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid SE Sedan Front-wheel Drive

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:04 PM

Thanks for your help! Your advice really solidified my choice and I'm going ahead with the purchase :)

• GrySql likes this

#5 OFFLINE   machoman1337

machoman1337

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 418 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:FFH SE Ice Storm/Lexus LS430

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:13 PM

My last Fusion was AWD and without winter tires, it slipped all over the place on Toronto ice, and braking took 2x as long as with winter tires. I basically proved first-hand that AWD is utterly useless if you don't have the right tires for the job.

A FWD with winter tires will beat an AWD with all-seasons any day of the snowy week. 

If you shop around you can get a good deal. When I was living in Ontario, I paid $532 for a set of 4 winter tires, and the installation and rotation/balancing was $88. This is all in Canadian dollars after 13% tax. It was again $88 when I switched the tires again for the summer. This is pocket change compared to the thousands of dollars of repairs you could face after suffering an accident in the snow due to loss of control. As is the rule of thumb, USA is cheaper than Canada so you should have no problem finding an even better deal!

If you're skilled at replacing tires yourself, then investing in a set of spare rims would save you a ton of time (no waiting at shops) since you can leave the winter tires on the rims.

• corncobs likes this

My precious: 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE Ice Storm - Luxury Package (Dune), Navigation, Tech Package, Active Park Assist, Moonroof (ugh), 18" premium painted luxury wheels. Built in July 2012, bought CPO (former demonstrator) in May 2014. 6.3L/100 km lifetime fuel economy

Current temporary ride: 2003 Lexus LS430 w/navigation and parking sensors. Bought in December 2002, selling when I graduate

#6 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 27 September 2015 - 07:47 AM

A FWD with winter tires will beat an AWD with all-seasons any day of the snowy week. 

If you're skilled at replacing tires yourself, then investing in a set of spare rims would save you a ton of time (no waiting at shops) since you can leave the winter tires on the rims.

Two very true statements except that I don't think you need be super skilled to swap tires. Well I should say that since the "experts" damaged the rim when they used the impact wrench.
Not worth the free wheel swap if you ask me but most places charge between $10-$20.
  • machoman1337 likes this
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·