Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

New Fusion Hybrid vs Fusion Energi

Hybrid Vr Energi

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:28 PM

Ding ding, this is the correct answer.  Ford has changed the decel rates in the 2016 to be more "robust".  Not enough people out there are able to get that 100% braking score because they start braking too late, so giving them a little more coasting decel means they will start braking at a lower speed and thus recover more energy.  Nothing has actually changed technically, its just that now coasting gives you the same decel/regen as a light drag on the brakes did in the 2015 and earlier.  It's all phsycological, if you were getting 100% brake scores in the 2013 you'd be getting the exact same amount of regen as a 100% score in the 2016.

Thanks for this insider info.

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Hybrider

Hybrider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 407 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Awesome FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:01 PM

It seems like to me it might not be all psychological, since if there is more inherent drag while coasting on the 2016s, then for someone like me who does a lot of coasting up to red lights, it would cause me to have to apply some more gas than I normally do just to make it to the red light.

• hybridbear and CCalvinN like this

2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE Ingot Silver (Appearance Package)

Ordered: 01/07/2014 | VIN assigned: 01/14/2014 | Window Sticker: 02/05/2014 | Build Date: 02/12/2014 | Arrived at Dealer: 02/25/2014 | Delivered: 02/27/2014

#23 OFFLINE   CCalvinN

CCalvinN

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 119 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FF HyTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:33 AM

Ding ding, this is the correct answer.  Ford has changed the decel rates in the 2016 to be more "robust".  Not enough people out there are able to get that 100% braking score because they start braking too late, so giving them a little more coasting decel means they will start braking at a lower speed and thus recover more energy.  Nothing has actually changed technically, its just that now coasting gives you the same decel/regen as a light drag on the brakes did in the 2015 and earlier.  It's all phsycological, if you were getting 100% brake scores in the 2013 you'd be getting the exact same amount of regen as a 100% score in the 2016.

That makes sense to me.  Both a friend who drove a Prius as his daily driver and a friend who drives a Volt as his daily driver both asked if the Fusion had regenerative brakes as it felt so smooth while coasting.  I personally like the 'less robust' feeling as it feels more like a regular car.  I'm sure it wouldn't be anything worth complaining about if I had the more 'robust' regen, but I'm happy enough without it.  

346645.png

#24 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:44 AM

It seems like to me it might not be all psychological, since if there is more inherent drag while coasting on the 2016s, then for someone like me who does a lot of coasting up to red lights, it would cause me to have to apply some more gas than I normally do just to make it to the red light.

Just because you're pushing the gas pedal doesn't mean you're not still getting regen.  If you push the gas pedal in the 2016 enough to cause the same amount of coasting as in the 2015, you will still get the same amount of regen as in the 2015.   Does that make sense?

It's just a balance, either press the gas to get less slowing (in the 2016) or press the brake to get more slowing (in the 2015).  The ratio between decel and regen is still the same.  But since the vast majority haven't developed the habit of coasting like you and me, the 2016 strategy will work better for the majority.

Edited by Waldo, 16 June 2015 - 07:46 AM.

• GrySql and Hybrider like this

#25 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:16 AM

Just because you're pushing the gas pedal doesn't mean you're not still getting regen.  If you push the gas pedal in the 2016 enough to cause the same amount of coasting as in the 2015, you will still get the same amount of regen as in the 2015.   Does that make sense?

It's just a balance, either press the gas to get less slowing (in the 2016) or press the brake to get more slowing (in the 2015).  The ratio between decel and regen is still the same.  But since the vast majority haven't developed the habit of coasting like you and me, the 2016 strategy will work better for the majority.

Very interesting. The Focus Electric has much more aggressive regen while coasting than the Fusion. If I spend too much time driving the Focus I forget that the Energi doesn't slow down as quickly and I sometimes end up having to brake a little harder than I would like. The Focus can also charge the HVB at a maximum rate of 60 kW (compared to 35 in the Fusion Hybrid/Energi) which means you can get more regen braking in the Focus Electric. This morning I had two stops with less than 100% brake scores (98 & 95) because I was used to the Focus brake feel and I didn't brake correctly in the Fusion...

• GrySql likes this

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#26 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,815 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:45 AM

How do you like the Focus EV? Is there a forum where you post about it? I think it might be ideal for my small town in S. FL with an occasional 40 mile round trip. Several year old Leafs and Focus EVs are available for about $15K. I realize the HVB has a finite life.

#27 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:57 AM

How do you like the Focus EV? Is there a forum where you post about it? I think it might be ideal for my small town in S. FL with an occasional 40 mile round trip. Several year old Leafs and Focus EVs are available for about $15K. I realize the HVB has a finite life.

The Focus Electric is the best car I've ever had. I wish I could have a Fusion Electric with all the features of the Fusion but the EV performance of the Focus. The Focus is very fast off the line and handles much like the gas Focus, which is generally considered to be near the top of its class for handling. http://www.myfocusel...forum/index.php has more info. The HVB doesn't seem to be deteriorating very quickly. The pack is liquid cooled and heated and the car doesn't allow it to go below 50 F or above 98 F. Being a larger pack it doesn't increase or decrease in temp as much as the Fusion Energi/Hybrid pack changes temp while driving. Our Focus Electric has about 14,000 miles on it and we currently get about 19.0 - 19.5 kWh of usable energy out of the pack. There is a fairly wide variance in ETE reported with a full charge. When our lease is up we will consider buying a used Focus Electric. The residual on our lease is way to high to buy out our car and it appears that Ford Credit is not willing to negotiate the residual, preferring instead to send the car to auction and write off the loss.

Edited by hybridbear, 16 June 2015 - 10:57 AM.

• corncobs likes this

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·