tombarker13ffh

Windows down?

For those of you ffh owners lucky enough to be in warm weather areas, have you compared any window-down driving to window-up? Windows cracked a little vs. Down all the way? Highway speeds with windows down vs city driving? It was actually 60 degrees here a few days ago and I drove around town with the windows cracked, easily got like 60-63mpg as the car was warm and it was lots of stops, but I probably will want to start doing my highway drives with the windows cracked instead of running the AC if it gets hot in the car (charcoal black). Is that a bad idea?

If you have a moonroof, set it to vent and crack the two back windows an inch. I found it doesnt affect MPG as much as if you drove with the drivers window down, yet still keeps the car cool and is not as loud.

I'll have to get used to being able to roll down my back windows! I've only had coupes so far, so never had to worry about which windows I open :)

I've found that venting the passenger side rear window provides the most air blowing on the driver for when you're alone in the car. Otherwise venting each rear window about an inch works really well. Also venting the sunroof.

It seems with only the sunroof open (not vented) there is some noise from the air hitting the back window and causing vibrations which is very annoying. It goes away with a rear window open. Has anyone else experienced this? I've had this experience in other cars when the roof is open all the way, not only to the first stop. In the FFH the vibrations happen even at the first partially open stop that the roof does

I've found that venting the passenger side rear window provides the most air blowing on the driver for when you're alone in the car. Otherwise venting each rear window about an inch works really well. Also venting the sunroof.

It seems with only the sunroof open (not vented) there is some noise from the air hitting the back window and causing vibrations which is very annoying. It goes away with a rear window open. Has anyone else experienced this? I've had this experience in other cars when the roof is open all the way, not only to the first stop. In the FFH the vibrations happen even at the first partially open stop that the roof does

Good info.

I have noticed this too. This seemed to have happened when I got my Mazda3 back in 2005. But it seemed to have stopped over the years. Now that I have the new Fusion I have noticed it with this car. Perhaps it will stop in a year or so? Cracking open a window will stop that for the time being. If anyone has a tip to stop this without having to crack open a window I am all ears!

I'm surprised it would stop over time...very interesting, do you have any idea why? My 2002 Saab 9-3 never did this but my wife's Saab 9-5 did. Our Honda Accord Hybrid also didn't have any issues. The worst I remember was my parents' 2007 Dodge Caravan. If you didn't have the back windows vented and had the sunroof open all the way the vibrations were just terrible!!

I have noticed this too. This seemed to have happened when I got my Mazda3 back in 2005. But it seemed to have stopped over the years. Now that I have the new Fusion I have noticed it with this car. Perhaps it will stop in a year or so? Cracking open a window will stop that for the time being. If anyone has a tip to stop this without having to crack open a window I am all ears!

When I have opened the moonroof, the pressure changes inside the vehicle and it becomes unbearable to my eardrums. Each time I simply closed it right back. If pressure differences are the issue, my assumption would be that opening a window or two would likely relieve that pressure (I haven't experimented - I like my a/c).

Having said that, 1) I can appreciate that the cabin is well sealed and 2) I really like my moonroof window to the world.

So I did some searching and found that there are many, many cars that suffer this same problem. I found this solution for an Avalanche and the person adjusted the wind deflector up-wards to fix the problem. It's obviously a delicate fix and I will have to take a look at the Fusion's wind deflector when I get a chance to see how easy it will be to adjust. If anyone has a chance to take a look and make an adjustment that could probably fix the issue.

I noticed a recent thread on sunroof vibration and noise and thought I should share my solution with everyone. Like other owners, I too had a low resonance noise when driving with my sunroof open and all the windows closed. Move the roof rack didn't change anything and the problem has been reported by non roof rack AV owners. My dealer couldn't help me and was prepared to send the truck to a sunroof company when I came across the soluton by chance.
As many of you have noted, if you lift up on the deflector slightly, the noise goes away. I afriend has a Yukon Denali XL with the same roof and he doesn't have the noise. I measured his deflector compared with mine and noticed that his springs hold his delfector a fraction higher then mine. This was all that was needed to remove the noise. So here is the solution:

Take needle nose pliers and squeeze together the tabs that hold the deflector to the hinges. Do this to both hinges and the deflector is now free of the hinges. You can pull the two hinges out of the hinge holders on the plastic sun roof molding. Holding the coiled spring with pliers or vise grips, take you needle nose and bend each of the long arms of the spring (two per spring) a fraction of a n inch in equal measurements to increase the spring pressure. Reinstall the hinge brackets pressing the spring arms against the plastic molding while you slip the hinge into its holder. Line upt the deflector and push the tabs into the slots on the delfector to reinstall it.

Remember to take your time; this will work, and good luck - I hope this helps someone.

This seems to be a bit extreme. The vibration is easily fixed by cracking open a rear window. I won't be trying this one.

I'm not inclined to mess with the deflector either. If it is something that I can press on the deflector and fix it that is one thing, but I don't want to risk breaking something when cracking open a window will do