Sign in to follow this  
acdii

Side by side comparison

I dont know if this link will work for others, http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=33083&id=26405 but did a comparison between the 2013 and 2010 Fusion Hybrids. The 2010 is rated at 39 combined, and the overall average is 38.8, which I can concur on since that is what mine can get(when we try). But the 2013 is abysmal, only 39.8, 6.2 MPG below its combined rating. Cmax is even lower.

Next I compared the Toyota Camry and Prius to the 2010 Fusion. At least you get what you pay for with Toyota. 2010 Camry is rated at 34, and is averaging 37, but to be fair, it was based on only 5 vehicles, so added the 2012 Camry, with 10 vehicles, and it is 41 combined, and showing 40.3. Prius though, 174 vehicles combined is 50, and average is 49.3.

I compared 2010,11 and 12 FFH and they all are right on the money average>combined. So what the heck is up with the Fusion/Cmax? Pretty embarrassing for Ford, especially if the warm weather doesn't show improvements.

Just for the heck of it, my 2010 on Fueleconomy.gov from last may after the MAP was replaced,

Delete Edit Time Period Driving Conditions MPG Data Check Notes City Highway delete-box.gif pencil.gif 06/23/2012 to 11/23/2012 20% 80% 39.7 greencheck.gif Normal driving to the speed limit

Yeah, been driving Hybrids since April 2007, got our first one, a Prius a day before my son was born, which makes it easy to date my hybrid experience. I had a lifetime of 53 MPG in that car over 22,000 miles before I got rid of it, it had some quirks that made us feel unsafe for the area we drive in. we got a 2009 TCH in 2008, and that one averaged 38 MPG over the 30,000+ miles we had it.

There were a few things we did not like about that car too, and eventually got rid of it. The 3 things we didn't like, handling, braking, and the stupid lighted center console, it was dangerous in dense fog, there was no way to turn it off unless you turned off the entire dash, and the backglare from it blinded the road when it was foggy. While handling could be improved with springs, shocks and tires, the brakes were another thing. When slowing from 55 on regen, the regen would suddenly cease, and it felt like you lost brakes as the car would surge, and usually happened when you where almost to the stop sign, and would wind up slamming on the brakes. It only happened during the first 10 miles of driving, and was hard to replicate since it didnt always happen. My wife thought I was screwing around until it happened to her, and she beat me down to get rid of it. It scared the pee out of her, literally.

Replaced it with a 2010 Fusion Sport and we loved that car, but the gas prices were killing us, so we reluctantly replaced it with a 2010 Fusion Hybrid, and that car has been great. Like you I decided to forgo the MPG game in it and just drive it, and it still meets EPA, and I have been able to exceed it several times. In summer I can get it over 41 with very little trying, and have seen over 50 on the interstate. We are hanging onto that car, and got an extended warranty for it last month since the factory one is almost up.

With my past experiences driving Hybrids, I am quite disgusted with the new Fusion as it is nothing like the past 3 cars, very difficult to get good MPG out of. It may just be my car, and from what I have seen so far, seems to be the case. When I can take the 2010 to work and back and just drive it, and it gets better MPG than the new one when I am playing the MPG game, well that means only one thing, something is wrong with it, but try telling that to Ford who keeps looking at what the computer tells them, which is incorrect, and saying no problem found,

Eh getting tired of it, thats all.

Another side by side, 2013 Fusion(mine) and 2010 Fusion(wifes). Mine was taken at the end of the city drive, with the heat off, the next part of the trip was 50 and 55, with the heater turned on. It went up to 39.1 by the end of the trip. Here is another discrepancy, dash reported 42.1. Im more apt to believe the scan gauge.

62959_496672407041565_1353883737_n.jpg

This was a 17 mile trip from her parents house home, up and down hills.

388761_496672320374907_1008872892_n.jpg

Edited by acdii