Ric

Daytime Running lights?

I haven't read through all 22 pages of this, but I have a question. Why is it so important to have automatic Daytime Driving/Running Lights?

I am just curious?

And don't forget the powerful motivator of being told you cannot have someting... ;)

Also, if you just turn the headlights into the manual "On" position, you also get the added bonus of the taillights being on as well, which seems to me like it would add even more safety, to help people not run into you as easily from behind, huh, hybridbear?

I haven't read through all 22 pages of this, but I have a question. Why is it so important to have automatic Daytime Driving/Running Lights?

I am just curious?

Discount on insurance rate for having enabled DRLs

I think ER is only saying that during daylight the transition from "no tail lights on -> brake lights on" is more noticeable to the human eye as compared to the daylight transition from "tail lights on -> brake lights on". I'm not aware of any proof or studies regarding this, but it seems like it could be a factor. Is it significant enough to prevent accidents in some situations? Dunno.

Edited by Texasota

In Minnesota it's the law that you turn on your headlights on two-lane roads for this very reason. It might be more simple to just make a state law that cars sold in MN come with driving lights. And that would probably be more effective at reducing crashes as well since many people don't bother to turn their lights on when driving on two-lane roads.

I was not aware of that Minnesota law. Thanks for sharing.