2014FordFusionSE

MFT - Camera is unavailable. Please contact your dealership

Hello,

Posting a new topic since I couldn't find a thread with the same warning. Please let me know if this has already been addressed in another thread.

(I found a youtube video about switching off backup camera options but I don't have those in the FFH)

For the past week, we intermittently see the following warning: "Camera is unavailable. Please contact your dealership".

The backup camera works most of the time.

Also, when this happens, the home screen beeps when I press anything on the touchscreen but it shows the home screen again (instead of showing the radio or phone, etc.)

I plan to try the following:

- Master reset the console when it lets me

- Replace the 12v battery which is 7.5 years old (12.24v without load, 14.4v when the FFH is 'on')

Looking for any suggestions regarding:

1. Ideas on how to resolve the console issue other than a reset

2. The current battery is a BXT-99R-390. I see https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/electrical/battery-and-related-components/battery-7868851-1

I've read another battery thread with a lot of info. Since the OEM last 7+ years, I don't mind replacing it with OEM.

Any reason I should NOT go with OEM?

Thanks for any advice

The battery must have the same physical dimensions or it won't fit in the battery tray.

The + battery post must be on the right, the same as the original, or the cables won't reach to connect it to the car.

No you can't turn it around.  The posts are closer to one edge of the battery.

BXT-99R-390

99 is the battery group size and the R indicates the + post is on the right.

390 is the CCA rating of the battery.

Thanks Murphy.

I realized that the battery link doesn't save the vehicle info.

Here's a better link:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Lead-Acid-Automotive-Battery-Group-Size-T5-12-Volt-650-CCA/5128244

Of course, their group size (T5) is different from Ford's (99) but the terminal is near the edge and to the right as well.

Thanks again.

I think I'll stick to OEM especially since I've had great luck with Ford batteries.

My first car was a Ford Contour which I drove for 14 years. Changed the battery only once.

6 hours ago, 2014FordFusionSE said:

I think I'll stick to OEM especially since I've had great luck with Ford batteries.

My 2015 FFH is 6 years + 9 months old with 88K miles, and the original 12v battery is still fine. When the time comes, I'll definitely just take it to the dealer and have them replace it.

Minor update:

After troubleshooting this a bit, it seems like the camera itself is faulty. I've ordered a new one from Amazon. It will arrive today.

Does anyone know if I can remove the camera from the Fusion without removing the back panel and molding?

I saw a youtube video but checking to see if there's an easier way to pop it out than the crazy number of steps.

I'll try and document the steps

Got the part from Amazon and swapped it out.

It works fine but the dynamic turn-lines when backing up don't show up and zoom doesn't work (never used it honestly). The seller isn't of any help.

It's probably an OEM-copy. I'll try resetting the console but I can do without the lines. The static colored parking lines show up.

Here's the video that I used to do the swap. It was very helpful:

On 7/20/2021 at 4:39 PM, murphy said:

The size on that battery is BCI 90.

Compare the physical dimensions of a BCI 90 with a BCI 99R.

https://www.batteryequivalents.com/bci-battery-group-size-chart.html

It is slightly longer.  The chart indicates that a T4 is the correct size.

The battery finally died before I could replace it.

7.5 years. Not bad.

I couldn't find a standard replacement at O'Reilly's or Walmart.

O'Reilly's has one that $178 and it isn't even the same size.

Will have to get it from a dealer.

All dealerships closed during the Labor Day weekend so will get it tomorrow.

On 8/14/2021 at 12:50 PM, 2014FordFusionSE said:

Got the part from Amazon and swapped it out.

It works fine but the dynamic turn-lines when backing up don't show up and zoom doesn't work (never used it honestly). The seller isn't of any help.

It's probably an OEM-copy. I'll try resetting the console but I can do without the lines. The static colored parking lines show up.

Reviving an old thread. The camera from Amazon stopped working after 3 years.

Got another one for $44 and will do the swap again. I still can't pay $287 for an OEM camera. I also don't want to risk one from the junk-yard.