Linda99

Car needs boost to start in cold weather

As soon as the weather (in Montana) got really cold, my son's 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE wouldn't start. He needs to get a boost anytime the car has been parked for more than about an hour. The battery has been tested (twice) and he's been told it "passed with flying colors". He has also been told it has a CCA rating of 390. I get the impression from reading these forums, and searching online, that the newer model of the battery (99RT4) has a higher rating (470?). Is this correct? Will getting a newer model battery (will have to be ordered--neither the Ford dealer nor local automotive retailers have it in stock) solve the cold weather starting problem?

See how low the battery voltage drops with a 100 amp load on it. You can buy a 100 amp load tester at Harbor Freight or Ruralking.com for $22 or $15 respectively. Google it. If the voltage drops below 10.3 volts, at 100 amps, the battery is bad. If it does not, there is a load larger than 100 amps from the car on start up. It could be a defective condenser fan motor, the seat heaters, your headlights on high beam on startup, you can track the load down from there by elimination. The 12 volt battery does not start the car like a conventional 12 volt battery. it lives a pampered life of lower loads, being constantly recharged by the high voltage system once the engine is running. I suspect the battery will drop to like lower than 9 volts at 100 amps, which will barely support the ignition system for the plugs and the fuel pump, which would be why the engine won't start. Mine finally failed at 112,000 miles. I charged it, drove 20 miles to the dealer, had them install a new one for $147.

Edited by VonoreTn

The battery's been tested by Walmart and Ford, and they both said it's fine. Wouldn't their test include what you describe? Also, the car starts fine if it's stored in the garage... the problem is only if it has been outdoors in the cold (below freezing), and then it is even if it has been only an hour or two.

Edited by Linda99

See how low the battery voltage drops with a 100 amp load on it.

Why would the 12v battery have a 100 amp load on it since it doesn't power a starter motor like in conventional cars?

Linda99, when you say "doesn't start" - does the engine turn over but not fire up ( making a rrr-rrr-rrr sound) or does the engine simply not turn over? Do all the dash lights come on normally? Are there any fault codes stored (an auto parts store will read this for you for free).

Why would the 12v battery have a 100 amp load on it since it doesn't power a starter motor like in conventional cars?

A 100 amp load is the standard test for the condition of a wet cell lead acid battery. It has nothing to do with the actual load in the car.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-BT-100-Battery-Load-Tester/dp/B000AMBOI0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1515257769&sr=8-5&keywords=lead+acid+battery+tester

To answer Fission -- it's completely dead. Key fob won't open the door, no lights come on.

Something is draining your 12 volt battery when the car is off. That is what needs to be tracked down and fixed.

Murphy, if that was the case, wouldn't it happen regardless of temperature? This ONLY happens when temps are well below freezing. If the car spends the night in the garage, or if weather is just around freezing, it starts with no problem.

Murphy, if that was the case, wouldn't it happen regardless of temperature? This ONLY happens when temps are well below freezing. If the car spends the night in the garage, or if weather is just around freezing, it starts with no problem.

That is true however low temperatures are hard on a battery. Also a wet cell lead acid battery, that has been completely discharged, has very likely been permanently damaged. Material flakes off of the plates and collects at the bottom of the cells. If the pile of debris reaches the bottom of the plates the cell shorts out and that is the end of the battery. I have a 2013 Energi and replaced the lead acid battery in 2013 with an AGM battery. That required modifications to the battery tray. There is now supposed to be one that is the correct physical size and is a direct replacement. A wet cell lead acid battery is the wrong battery for a hybrid or a plug-in hybrid. It is not used to start the engine so there is no high current demand requirement. An AGM battery is much more appropriate but they cost more so Ford didn't do the right thing by the customer. It is now 4 years later and the AGM battery in my car is still working fine. I do have to charge it with a smart battery charger when I don't drive the car for a week because the drain from all of the microprocessors will pull it down if the car sits unused. Unlike a classic car, which is really off when it is turned off, the Fusion is a computerized car that is never turned off. An example: the accelerator pedal is connected to the computer, by 6 wires, not to the engine.

there seems to be a service bulletin that points to a bad "ACM" Audio Control Module? that is draining the battery even when radio and car is turned off. the 12v battery runs all the electronics in the car. it could be the battery is run down just enough that the extreme cold knocks it out.

Hrrrm. Another odd thread.

Our FFH, which we love to bits, is one of the first ones delivered. Recall back to the days where Ford was having problems with body panels, and rented a massive airplane to get massive replacement stamping presses to Hermosillo. We got ours Christmas Eve, 2012. Nothing but love ever since.

Anyway, I just recently replaced the 12v battery. Only because of another thread which made me nervous. It is my bride's car, and if the battery dies, she will likely pine for a new car - much more expensive than a new battery. But, 6 years on a battery is a great run.

12v batteries don't last forever. That I got 6 years out of ours makes me happy. AGM is nice if you need to run them upside down, otherwise just marketing junk. So silly to hear folks who complain that their car ran out of gas, ashtray full, tires bald or 12v battery died.

Hello Linda99,

We have 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium with 35k miles on it. We live in Texas and our car is parked in open. Mostly we have 70 degrees Fahrenheit plus weather but whenever we have cold weather (60 or below) car battery voltage goes down to 2volts overnight or so and car won’t start. We have seen this consistently for last 6 months and every 4 or so weeks we get into this situation.

Battery is 1 year old and tests alright, including testing by placing 100Amp of load. Car uses 30 mill amps when engine is turned off and current tested 30mins after car is switched off. That is, parasitic load or drain on battery is within specs.

How did you fix your issue mentioned in this thread?

Regards

Scientist1968, Nope. Ending up trading in the car. It was fine in the temps you describe though--the problem was only in really cold weather, well below freezing or even subzero. 

On 1/6/2018 at 12:56 PM, Linda99 said:

To answer Fission -- it's completely dead. Key fob won't open the door, no lights come on.

My 2017 Ford Fusion has the same problem. Key fab won’t work and I can’t even lock my car due to the battery being cold. What did you do to solve the issue?

You can unlock the car with the real key hidden in the fob.

Remove the cap from the driver's door handle and unlock the car.

Open the hood and use the terminals there to jump the car.

RED soft cap directly in front of the driver's seat for +.  - is a bolt sticking up out of the shock tower directly behind the red cap.

You indicate that the battery has been down to 2 volts.  That has very likely permanently damaged the battery.

Mine gets driven about once a week.  It is always connected to a smart battery charger.  The car is loaded with always on microprocessors that take their toll on the battery.

I have similar issues.  2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid.  Battery seems to die if it is driven every 3 days or so (drove it on Tuesday, dead on Saturday).  Exact same thing happened last winter, and it started happening more an more frequently (every week) so I got a new battery even though the tester at Advance Auto said it was fine.  Replaced battery with new one and still happened.  Then I went to Ford and got a Ford battery and it had been fine for about 9 months, but its starting again.  Pretty sure I'll have to jump start my car weekly now.  UGH.  Not sure what is wrong with this car.  In searching on google, I noticed some lawyers are trying to find folks for a class action suit against Ford.  No idea if it is legit or not.  But this is so annoying.

Kristen L.

On 5/16/2020 at 1:52 PM, Scientist1968 said:

Hello Linda99,

We have 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium with 35k miles on it. We live in Texas and our car is parked in open. Mostly we have 70 degrees Fahrenheit plus weather but whenever we have cold weather (60 or below) car battery voltage goes down to 2volts overnight or so and car won’t start. We have seen this consistently for last 6 months and every 4 or so weeks we get into this situation.

Battery is 1 year old and tests alright, including testing by placing 100Amp of load. Car uses 30 mill amps when engine is turned off and current tested 30mins after car is switched off. That is, parasitic load or drain on battery is within specs.

How did you fix your issue mentioned in this thread?

Regards

Were you ever able to get that fixed?